Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Heated garage for the cheap guys

Thanks to Jake (68protouring454) for the helpfull ideas. I now have another dream come true. I have a heated garage!!!!
      I bought a furnace from a trailor. $150
      Then I bought a 100# propane tank $70
      Got it filled $60
      And with that said I now have a fully heated garage that is hooked to a thermostat!!!! :icon996:
      Thank you soo much again Jake.
      Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

I am really surprised to see that no one replied to this thread. I dont think there is any better way to heat a garage that this for the price. All I do is walk out and set the thermostat on the wall to the desired temp and within a few minutes the garage is as warm as my house. Even when its 30 degrees outside I have been in the garage with only a t-shirt on.

Not to say that your not careful, but be sure not have any fumes around (gas,paint).
      If you can try and keep the furnace up high from the fumes.Point air flow at the floor to keep you warm as you work on the floor.You know, cant be to careful.Dad was a fireman!!
      Chris

1971 RS Z28 Pro-touring thing......will it ever be done??

I actually set this up so I can paint in there in the winter. The furnace pulls the air thru the top of the furnace from a "chimney" that I routed outside. I could pretty much paint this furnace with it running. But I wouldn't recommend that. I do appreciate the advice.

Country Flag: United States

A couple points...

Please consider this cautionary information from someone that just spent $1500 on a permanently installed garage heater

The separated combustion unit I just installed not only draws its air from the outside (it also has a pre-warmer chamber where the air is warmed by the exhaust gases) the entire unit has foam tape or silicone sealant on every joint or brake where the sheet metal joins. This is to obviously prevent any "shop" air from getting being introduced into the combustion process. I doubt your unit is sealed so well, although it may be. Just be careful.

--JMarsa

Country Flag: United States

Adam, I would take these guys warnings VERY seriously if you plan on painting. I know someone who spent several weeks in the hospital recovering from second and third degree burns on his face and arms. All it took was the furnace pilot to cause the problem.
      Be carefull. Brett

last two cents sounds like you have some common sense...I run the room up to like 80 and shut everything off/turn power off to unit so it does not start accidently!!! .....let it coast do your spraying..I have a small window up high that have a cheapo 2'X2' fan I plug it in and suck all the fumes out with the side door open..it lets some of the heat out but clears the room then fire up the heater and bring the temp back up to cure your job...just make sure and vent for like 5/10 mins.

Bud.

Adam
      I like having my infloor heat but the price tag reflects it (about $8k for garage and basement, while house was being built, nice just to pay for it later with the whole house bill).
      What I am getting at is it isn't too hard to fill a garage to a level of fumes to make it to blow. Friend parents house blew up when the cable company hit a gas line (middle of winter) and the furnace kicked on. Just a foundation left after that good thing his dad went out to talk the workers. SO BE CAREFULL NO CUTTING CORNERS.
      Brad

Infloor heat is not really expensive. I did mine when I built my garage that being the key. The tubing for the floor was $800. I used a Propane hot water heater, cost $130. Misc fittings and connectors was about $50.
      Garage is 68 degress all the time. Costs me about $40 a month to heat it.
      The garage is 27x30.

cheap heat

When I built my house and garage I did the whole thing with floor heat and It sure is nice. I also have a dairy barn with floor heat, the floors are 75 degrees all winter (no more cold feet). A few years back I put in a Heatmor wood furnace and tied it into the house and barn and I went from 6-700 gals propane a month to 175.00 worth of coal. It's heating about 7000 sq ft and only takes 5 minutes once a day to take care of it. I love it....the propane man doesnt

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com