Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Bolt in roll bar?

Does anyone make a bolt in roll bar for a 69 camaro? I've seen many weld ins, but haen't seen any bolt ins.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right! Don't do it...

That bolt in bar can become a heavy blunt object flying around your head in an accident. Not to mention what would happen to it in a roll-over.

$800, custom 4pt bar - extra protection and added chassis stifness, a good investment.
      Camaro Convertible Build Pics - http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq198/rob07002/

www.musclerides.com

Rob Stevens

Country Flag: United States
      An autopower bolt in will pass tech with the SCCA if installed correctly. The Pozzi's have one in their '73 and it seems to be working well for them.

Is a bolt-in better than a well designed and constructed weld-in? Probably not.
      Is it better than nothing? Absolutely (if installed correctly).

Check out IOport for autopower bolt-in cages.

Is that $800 weld in kit from Chassis eng or similar? If so, will it's design and materials pass SCCA tech?
      A weld in cage is only as good as it's design and only as good as the welder that installs it.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

its a custom bar, not the kit from CE. Not sure about SCCA, but will pass NHRA.
      Camaro Convertible Build Pics - http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq198/rob07002/

www.musclerides.com

Rob Stevens

The autopower bolt in goes for $899 for a 1st Gen Camaro and absolutely is SCCA and NASA legal.
      True T.

My blog

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      The autopower bolt in goes for $899 for a 1st Gen Camaro and absolutely is SCCA and NASA legal.
      Sheesh! Since when did Autopower start getting so proud ($$$) of their stuff??? 3 or 400 more and you've got yourself a well designed, lighter, better fitting cage from a custom shop!

The big differences between NHRA and SCCA is the SCCA required diagonal, the harness bar has to match the tube used in the Hoop, no bends in the rear hoop braces, and tube thickness used. NHRA wont allow a 4 point (gotta have the doorbar)
      Scott Rhea
      It's not what you build,
      it's how you build it.
      www.izzyscustomcages.com

I'm guessing there is a ton of man-hour investment in creating cages for so many different cars. I think they have 200 or so different cages. They gotta recoup those costs.
      True T.

My blog

roll bar

ive got an autopower, i like it its bolt in, just didnt want a weld in if i wanted to go back to stock...........always undecided, it was 400 bucks stiffened up the car abit nice quality!

Doug, any photos,especially the rear hoop?

I can see bolting in the bar to fit everything and then have it welded up.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Raycer
      Sheesh! Since when did Autopower start getting so proud ($$$) of their stuff??? 3 or 400 more and you've got yourself a well designed, lighter, better fitting cage from a custom shop!
      Actually, if you got those prices off of the Autopower website, those are retail. I tried to order directly from them, but they just sent me to IO Port Racing, shipped from San Diego, my 4 point with diagonal & harness was still under $500

Shane

I would recommend a welded bar also. If you go to take it out it is just as easy to grind of the welds as fill the holes of a bolt on. Thing that can come loose in a crash scare me. Just my .02$
      Randy
      Please see my PT Garage for more info on ProBell Camaro. 67 style,99 comfort, options and drive-ability with NASCAR Late Model suspension front and rear.https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vb...?do=view&g=106
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Car Domain PG
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565383

i got a customised comp engeneering 8 point roll bar bolted in belive me its just as strong as welded ............

I agree with the weld in being better in some sense but why would a properly designed bolt in bar fail? If the correct fasteners and mtg brackets are used what makes you guys think it will go flying off? What exactly would fly and hit you? Think of all the bolted assy's on your vehicle, do they fly off in a accident???

Actually it may be the safer of the 2 in a street car as a weld in bar can't be removed for street use. If using a cage on the street you better be wearing your harness and helmet or you will be hurt by your head flying into that permanent cage.

A bolt-in is certainly better than nothing at all, and probably better than a poorly designed or constructed weld-in cage.

However, properly fashioned welded joints will be stronger than a slip-joint with bolts in shear and a mount-plate welded to the body/chassis will be stronger than a bolted in plate.
      True T.

My blog

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com