Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Could they be stamped wrong?

Ok, I started to fit the pass side DSE minitub and it will not fit. The drivers went in fine. I did replace the pass outer wheelhouse and that went in fine with a little tweaking to get a good fit. The outer is flush against the factory flanges. When I try to fit the minitub and use the alignment holes the top of the tub flange is about 1/2" of of the outers flange and I can not move it closer with out bending the inners flange. I hope that makes sense. I will take some pics on Monday. I double checked the cuts for the tub and they are the same as the drivers side. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks
      Brian

Did you take any comparison measurements between the two outer wheelhouses? Are they about the same?
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

yep

Without breaking out the plumbobs and getting real close measurments and assuming the original flanges that the outers mate to are correct the answer is yes. I double checked what I cut out before I cut and now, again, that I am having a difficult time with the inner.
      Brian

I don't think the possiblity of them being stamped wrong is very great, but I guess it's possible? My Pass side didn't go in as well as the drivers side either, it required a little tweaking, but it still fit almost perfect. I would think they would be all from the same stamping, but hey you never know, stranger things have happened. I would call Kyle and see if he thinks they could be defected. Try to post some pics, so I (we) can get a better idea of what you're talking about

I highly doubt it

I'm assuming from your description that you cant get the inner tub flange to suck up to the outer?

If so, lightly clamp the the two together, (dont try to close the gap)
      get under the car and see where the inner tub is contacting the frame or floor. Mark that area on the floor/frame, remove the inner and trim the area at the marks you made. Repeat if needed.

Hopefully you haven't welded your close outs in yet?

Hope this helps,
      Bill

I know

I highly doubt it as well, but it is there just the same. I have welded in the closeouts because during the mock-up it fit. I need a little tweaking, but it still fit.

Bill there is no lightly clamping the flanges. It will not move without bending. The tub goes in and out about as easy as the drivers side and when clamped using the alignment holes only around 1.5" of the tub touches at the rear radius against the framerail.

Now I can get it real close by clocking the tub clockwise. However, that turns it too much and the rear of the tub actually pops off of the framerail and into the trunk. I still do not think it is the tub and when I spoke with Kyle he has not run into this problem. I will mock it up and get some pics later today.

Thanks all
      Brian

Tubz

Brian,
      Since it fit before welding in the closeouts I am assuming that something distorted from the welding heat. Did you weld in a new flange at the trunk floor radius? That is the first place I'd check, as the tub fits perfect if its not contacting that area. Those tubs are very ridgid and it doesn't take much to make them not fit right. I had the same problem with one of mine and had to re form the flange at the trunk floor.
      Bill

a few pics

These are a few pics of the tubs clamped in place with the front and rear alignment holes used. Any ideas??? These are pics of the front and rear of the wheelhouse at the bottom. See on the top how the inner curves way in. The outer is against the factory flange.

Line up holes

The line up holes will not always line up. However, the tube can be tweaked to fit in most cases. The chances they are stamped wrong is a possibility, also, your outer could be stamped wrong as i just had to return and exhange one. None of the repo stuff is perfect, and DSEs tubs are probably better then the outers, but still need some twisting.

Frank

It fit when you mocked it up, before you welded the close outs, right?

One more pic

This pic is with the rear and top clamped flush with the holes aligned. Just look at the gap in the lower front! Also look at the fit on the rocker.

Frank, your advise is heplful on the holes. I know thought of that and clocked the tub in both directions to see if it fit better. It do not. Yes the outer could be stamped wrong and that is my guess, but it fit great and I compared both side and I did not see any difference with the outers. Like I stated earlier the outer flanges fit great onto the car.

I set Kyle these and more. I should hear from him this week. I would still like to hear any advice you guys have.
      Thanks
      Brian

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com