Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

My LS1 Build.....

Well...I've already begun sourcing parts and I've decided to just stick with one manufacturer to eliminate confusion. I've settled on Texas Speed And Performance. I called them today and they were extremely helpful. Here is their recommendation for my application....

- Texas Speed Torquer V.3 Camshaft; 231/234 .643"/.598" 111 LSA.
      - LS6 Intake with LS1 injectors and 78mm throttle body stock MAF.
      - Texas Speed Stage I heads with double spring kit.
      - Texas Speed & Performance Chromemoly Pushrods.
      - GM LS2 Timing Chain.

About $2200 in parts. Not bad. He said this would be good for around 425rwhp and about 480 at the crank and would also have a nice lopey sound to it but would not be hard to idle. I also bought a brand new LS6 intake kit on eBay for $350 w/free shipping.

Can any of you LSx gurus look that over and see if you concur with the set up? Are the power figures right? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by trapin; 10-10-2006 at 06:05 PM.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

I'm interested in feedback also.

Tony, are the "stage 1" heads stock ported heads or aftermarket heads?

well i think that those stock injectors may max out at that power range ..i would recomend some 30#s if running a 6 speed as you may lean out at top end or they may go on full duty
      Rick M.
      hMMMMMMsss....
      1969 Camaro real RS SS DSE LS3 6M TWiiN TURBO in the make!(taking forever!!)..any donations apreciated hehe

Quote Originally Posted by gEtyOpAPiOn
      well i think that those stock injectors may max out at that power range ..i would recomend some 30#s if running a 6 speed as you may lean out at top end or they may go on full duty
      Ditto, but everything else looks very good, even the conservative HP rating. TSP is a great choice as well as Scoggy Dickens (SP?) Wow, missed the lift on the cam, that's big.
      Last edited by 4MuscleMachines; 10-11-2006 at 07:51 AM.

The trans is a 4l60E. Would I still need bigger injectors?

- Start date; June '01

I think the cams too big, but you need to have Tony W check it out, he's the master,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

holy ...i just looked at the .643 lift hehe ...im not sure if you have the clearance on a stock motor ...can you verify that number again
      Rick M.
      hMMMMMMsss....
      1969 Camaro real RS SS DSE LS3 6M TWiiN TURBO in the make!(taking forever!!)..any donations apreciated hehe

well i just read it on texas-speed.com and you do have the right specs now most likely i doubt that it would clear stock pistons so check up on that and also a stall would be recomended another thing too i doubt that a stock 4l60 will last you a while hehe
      Rick M.
      hMMMMMMsss....

Yeah...I'm a little concerned on the cam myself, that's why I figured I would run it past you guys to see what you think. I told him I wanted a lopey engine, I don't want it to sound stock. I like my hot rods loud. He did a check on the stage II heads with the bigger valves and said I would need to clearance the pistons for that cam with those heads. Also...I do plan to have the 4L60E rebuilt. What do you recommend I do to it to make it stronger?

- Start date; June '01

Everything looks good, but that cam is a tad big IMO. Did he tell you what stall convertor to get to match the cam? Has to be atleast 2500?

I called them again today and they changed their tune. Now they say to go with the the Texas Speed Torquer II 232/234 .595/.598 with 113 lobe seperation. Then he suggested Edelbrock Terminator heads but they're about $800 more than the ones the other guy suggested. So I have the intake, the camshaft, the throttle body, the injector, the timing chain, and the pushrods that I'm going to use. I just need to nail down the heads.

They also recommended the TCI 3500 stall for my car. I have 4L60E, 3.73 gears, 26" tall tires.
      Last edited by trapin; 10-11-2006 at 01:53 PM.

- Start date; June '01

Now thats more like it!!! thats real close to the cam that I want to run, I like the AFRs, talk to Rupp thats what he has,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

If you want to have a nasty idle you may want to go down on your lsa. Something like a 110 would definitely have a nasty idle. This of course is also affected by lift etc but the lsa is a big factor. Just something to keep in mind because while that cam and a 113 lsa will be noticeable it could be made more noticeable.

Hang out at LS1 tech and do some searches

Also talk to Steve about the motor in Penny. The only difference in the LS2 and LS1 is about 20 cubic inches. I also think that TEA is a great company to deal with for heads. I have a set of their 5.3 stage 1.5 heads on my LS1. Flowed 316 at .600 lift on the intake side. I spoke with them the other day and I know they are making crazy power with the new Trick Flow head.

My motor should be firing in Dec, but I have the TEA heads shaved for a compression ratio of 11.3, 230-230 .597 on 110 lsa, fast 90 intake, fordged pistons and h beam rods. I am looking for at about 450 rwhp.

Heard good things about Texas Speed as well. The first cam you would have had to cut the pistons and it seemed a little much for an automatic. The tight LSA is going to give you the lope you want and it appears on a LSX motor it makes the best power.

PK got a link for TEA??

So how does this look?

- Texas Speed Torquer II Camshaft; 232/234 .595/.598 with 113 lobe
      seperation.
      - LS6 Intake with LS1 injectors and 78mm throttle body stock MAF
      (screen removed).
      - PRC LS6 CNC Ported Heads; 2.00/1.55 with double springs
      upgrade.
      - Texas Speed & Performance Chromemoly Pushrods.
      - GM LS2 Timing Chain.
      - Ported LS6 oil pump.

Is this going to give me what I want (driveability, lopey sound, not difficult to idle) without having to notch the pistions? What kind of power to the rear wheels and crank can I hope to have with this setup? Also, they recommended a 3500 TCI convertor for my 4L60E trans. I have 3.73 gears and 26" tires.

Thanks guys, I see a light at the end of the tunnel here.

- Start date; June '01

That sounds like a great setup really. Should get you over 400 rwhp with a good tune. You may want to keep an eye on those stock injectors they may be running over 100% duty cycle at WOT. Alot of people run over 100% for many miles with no problems but it is a bit of a risky venture. You may want to read up on LS1tech about descreened maf sensors its a bit of a debate whether or not its worth the trouble.

I think the stall is a little high for a street car

maybe a 2200 stall would be better. It is going to feel real soggy driving around with a 3500 stall not to mention you will generate a ton of heat in the fluid. Good set up for a street strip car, but not so hot for a pro-tour car.

TEA- www.totalengineairflow.com

If you have not bought the MAF, I would go with a C5 Z06 MAF. 30lbs SVO injectors. You would pick up some HP with a FAST 90mm intake, but I see you have already bought the Z06 so run it.

There is a guy up your way named Shaun Carter he owns SMC Performance, Inc. Lots of new and used, stock and performance LS stuff. Give him a call 248-276-0483 I got some coil packs, valve covers, sensors, stock rockers, etc at great prices. He is in the Detroit area I believe.

As far as notching the pistons it is going to be close. Depends on thickness of head gasket, and how much they shave off the heads they (person you are getting heads from) should be able to tell you that.

That cam is pretty close to what Steve is running in Penny and I think he pulled 13 or 14 inches of vaccum at idle.

Payton, thanks for the number. I just called him and am a little confused now. He says the Torquer II cam is way too big for the intake I'm going to run and at 346 cubic inches. He suggested something in the 224/228 580 lift range with an lob around 112-114.

I think Texas Speed thinks I'm building a drag car. When I told him the first cam they suggested he just about choked on his sandwich.

Maybe I should give Patroit a call.

- Start date; June '01

lot of things depend on budget and what you are trying to do

I would call a couple of places and then make my decision. The customer service at TEA is fantastic and they have many proven combos with dyno numbers to back it up. TEA ports stock GM LS heads and aftermarket ones as well. I know my heads cost maybe $1400 and were the ticket for a hot street car 1.5 years ago...more things have come out since. I used the 5.3 head to get the compression up. Port design is same as the 5.7 head

Most companies have a CNC program that is porting their heads and each port design responds differently to different cams. They will test their head and find or have ground, a few different cams that optimize their port design. That way you have a proven combonation. Use head A with Cam B and you will make X Hp with dyno graph that looks like this.

I thought Texas speed was trying to hook you up with a drag set up with the 3500 stall and over .600 lift.

Tony Mamo at AFR is a good person to speak with as well.

It is hard not to chase every last hp when you are building a motor, but sometimes an extra $500 is not worth the extra 10 hp.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com