Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone done a viper v-10/t-56 swap...

in a Challenger, Charger, Dart, SuperBee, etc.? The more and more I am looking at my plans for a 69 pt camaro, I don't think I will have the money to do what I want and was thinking of going with my second choice, taking an old Dodge and putting a viper engine in tranny in it, as well as upgrade the suspension, etc.

Opinions are welcome.

Matt

Your Chevrolet plans must be pretty extravagant, if a Viper parts car and restified Mopar become the more economical choice....

68 Chevelle SS396. Pro-touring in Progress
      Pro-jected 396, TKO 600, 3.90'd 12 bolt, LS1 brakes.

Country Flag: United States

I would just want the motor and tranny, so I wouldn't buy a parts car. I see them on ebay for $10k for both.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by strangler
      Your Chevrolet plans must be pretty extravagant, if a Viper parts car and restified Mopar become the more economical choice....

What are your plans for the 69 camaro?

I recall seeing a Charger with a Viper drivetrain in PHR about a year or so back?

Timemachinesinc down in hudson florida has a cuda with a viper engine and transmission at somewhere $120,000 a pop.

That was Matt Delaney's silver Charger GTS. His website is dadsmopars.com or something. He is in Shreveport, LA. There is alot of work ahead if you want to do it in anything smaller than a B body, it's been done though in a couple of e-bodies.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

V-10

Matt,
      We did a the 68 Super Bee that was in the June PHR. It not as easy as you may think, a Viper V-10 is very long, yes longer than the 6 cylinders that came in those bodies. We had to move the firewall back about 6" and the radiator forward about 3.5" and you will have to build a tunnel for trans. You will also need to change the front K-member/suspension.
      Other than that the car goes big time!

Kevin
      Campbell Auto Restoration [CAR]

Go with the Camaro, Plavidal. That is if you want easier and cheaper.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Man, this is one expensive hobby. Oh well, maybe I can go rob a bank.

Quote Originally Posted by go-fish
      Go with the Camaro, Plavidal. That is if you want easier and cheaper.

mini tubbed, completely new front and rear suspension, Ls1/t56 swap, etc. I am shooting for $40k, but I already know that isn't going to work. Parts alone will cost near that much, not including labor and purchasing the car.

WEaver

Quote Originally Posted by DJW32
      What are your plans for the 69 camaro?

I have not built a 69 Camaro, but I would imagine you could easily come under 40K depending on where you get the stuff and how much of the work you do yourself.

Plavidal, I wish it were easier and cheaper to do Mopars because I am mostly a Mopar kinda guy. There are some cRaZy prices for interior pieces, trim, grilles, etc. for Mopes and they're generally harder to find pieces. Then you've got the price of a good project car, might as well go with what you first visualized when you first came too this board because it sounds like you would really rather do a Camaro. Good luck on your search. If I remember correctly youre in NOLA? I know of a 67 Chevelle SS around Picayune, it's supposedly not a flood car. With the purchase of the car and $35,000 it would be a damn good ride.
      Johnny C.

ummmm your chevy will be cheaper to build... I've done a Viper V-10 and T-56 swap into a 69 Charger... trust me... ANY Chevy will be cheaper.

Of course a Chevy would be cheaper,you can buy camaro parts at the 7/11.Is that really the point of the hobby,I for one hate the cross breading,GM cars should have GM motors,and so on.There are plenty of cool Mopar bodies you could jam that big exotic motor down into.Just my two cents

go with your build. I have a 68 firebird convertible with simular build happening. DSE mini tubs are $400. ls1 setup from BPR with fbody brakes, cross member, motor mounts, power rack and pinion, sand plasted and painted subframe, etc 3k. Wayne due c4 IRS $500, 84 corvette dana 36 $400. ls1's on ebay can eb had for 1200 complete with out accesories if you search for two to three weeks. T56's go for about 1k. Matched set will cost you between 2500 and 4k depending on the year. Other crap you will need along the way like hydrolics, mcloed shifter, FI gas tank, wiring harness, radiator and various other items wil set you back about another 3K.

Quote Originally Posted by Plavidal
      mini tubbed, completely new front and rear suspension, Ls1/t56 swap, etc. I am shooting for $40k, but I already know that isn't going to work. Parts alone will cost near that much, not including labor and purchasing the car.

WEaver

Would love to put a V10 into a 66 or 7 Belvedere chassis if it would fit....
      2003 Crewcab Dually Dirtymax

1980 Malibu...6.0 LSx turbo on the stand.

2000 SS th400 little juice

2002 C5 glide swap, motor shopping

1970 Nova... still waiting.

Country Flag: Canada
      i just cant get over the way those viper engines sounds, christ sounds like someone is plowing a feild when they pass you

Any updates? Ive been thinking of a viper motor /trans in my 70 cuda. How hard do you think this will be
      1970 TA, 1963 Impala SS vert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com