Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Turbo project update

Just thought I would post an update and also try and steer some of you that are knowledgeable about fuel injection to my questions in the fuel injection section.

I finally got it running! I had no idea what I was getting into when I started this project I have to admit. It has taken way more time and alot more money than I had ever imagined. But now that it is running, none of that seems to matter.

Here's what I ended up with; SBC 383, GT42R turbo, Victor EFI manifold, BS3, Accel 1200 CFM throttle body, 96 lbs. MSD injectors, Tial blowoff valve, Tial wastegate, 24 x 4 1/2 Bell intercooler, 1 5/8 x 2 1/2 stainless headers, 5 inch stainless exhaust, MSD 2345 distributor, Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump and god only knows how many dollars worth of stainless hose and AN fittings.

All I have left to do is install a proportioning valve on the rear brakes and finish up the 5 inch oval exhaust under the car.

Anybody with fuel injection and BS3 experience please see my questions in the fuel injection threads.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      _________
      69 Camaro
      383 SBC
      BS3
      GT42RS

Country Flag: United States
      SWEET!!! More pics!

Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Very nice and clean. Well laid out and very tidy construction. Nice Work!

Jim

PS Looks like we went to the same school of design:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk...p_121105_1.jpg
      Don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Half-Assed = Half-Fast

hi,

ttr : congrat.looks very nice ..i would like to ask

1-why external wg is that far ,
      2-cam specs io/ec lsa ect.
      3-where the spool start and full boost came..what is the max psi
      4-headers are they custom

once again good work

regards
      sami

Thanks all for the kind words.

Sami, The cam is a Crower 280R solid roller. 554 int., 567 ex. 246 and 248 degrees at .050. The lobe separation is 112. It is not the perfect turbo cam but it is what I had. I will upgrade when my bank account recovers or I blow it up. Whichever comes first.

Everything that I have read about wastegate placement says it should be about 18" from the turbo. In my case it ended up at 17".

As far as max psi., I don't know yet as it is still on jackstands. It has a 10 lbs. spring in the wastegate right now. I would have to look it up but I believe the turbo is efficient up to about 25 psi. I am probably pushing it at 10 psi. with my current bottom end. The motor has about 12,000 miles on it and made 434 hp. and 557 ft. lbs. to the rear wheels with a very safe 150 shot of N2O prior to adding the turbo.

I tacked the headers together myself and had a local welder Tig them for me. The collectors and tubing came from Stainless Works.

Tim
      _________
      69 Camaro
      383 SBC
      BS3
      GT42RS

hi

TTR : did you drive the car with turbo..i m making research on TT for my bigblock...i have NA cam (288-294solid roller)like yours ..i am worring abaut loosing boost because of overlap

sami

Sami,

I hope to drive it in the next week or so. I am working on the brakes and finishing up the exhaust.

Tim
      _________
      69 Camaro
      383 SBC
      BS3
      GT42RS

W-O-W ! I like that!

nice work

can we have more pics?
      Have Fun!
      André

2009 Chrysler 300C Touring.
      3.0 liter V6 diesel, five speed auto, black with light grey leather.
      1968 Chevelle Coupe.
      355cid, Viper T56, Corvette C4 IRS (Dana 44) and Corvette C4 IFS with Porsche 6piston Brembo's.
      1980 Chevy Van (shortie G10).
      355cid, TH350, 8.5" 10bolt posi and Belltech spindles.
      2000 BMW 540i Wagon. (FOR SALE €7K)
      4.4 liter V8, six speed manual, lowered and with Bilstein B8's, silver with black leather.
      2001 Ford Focus Wagon.
      1.8 liter turbo diesel, and a whoppin 90HP.:bsjerk:
      1968 Benelli Motorella
      foldable 50c scooter to go in a car trunk.
      2x '90s Yamaha TZR 2stroke bikes.
      one 125cc one cylinder and one will be 350cc two cylinder.

Here is a pic of my car on the dyno about 6 months before I started the turbo install.
      If their is something specific you want to see just ask.

Tim
      _________
      69 Camaro
      383 SBC
      BS3
      GT42RS

ttr: good luck ..thanks

sami

OMG that loooks amazing! love the turbo placment! ;)

what power are you loking to make???

thanks Chris.

I am running 10 psi currently and the math says that it should be around 600 hp.. I hope to put it back on the chassis dyno at some point. It does feel stronger than when I was using nitrous. I am still tuning and have not held it at wot very long. It sounds like a jet engine when it's making boost!

Tim
      _________
      69 Camaro
      383 SBC
      BS3
      GT42RS

A friend of mine made 825hp at the wheels with half the cylinders with that same turbo. When you have that combo tuned with some boost, you should see over 1000hp without a problem! Did you run a v-band clamp on the outlet? How are you liking those collectors? I'm thinking of using them on a project. One hell of a setup, I like it!!!!

DC

I am using a V-band on the outlet of the turbo. I called every Garrett dealer in the country trying to find one. It was not easy to find as it seems most aftermarket turbo companies cut off the flange and weld on their own. Apparently the turbo is used on Volvo trucks. If I remember correctly I ended up getting it from Borg Turbochargers somewhere back East. They were very helpful.

As far as the collectors go, so far so good. They don't leak and they are easy to work with.

Tim
      _________
      69 Camaro
      383 SBC
      BS3
      GT42RS

Not a bad build for a diy setup.

With the wastegate, they meant where it enters the downpipe should be 18ish/in from the turbo, not the gate it's self. Probably doesn't matter much, but just looks funny having all that tubing running to the valve rather than from it. Tube placement looks good so it should work sufficiently.

which GT47 turbo is it? 80/88 P/Q/R/X wheel?

Single 5" exhaust is good if you're talking from the turbo back.

Why such big injectors if you're only pushing 10psi and looking to make 600ish rwhp? at 49psi (fuel pressure) 65's would have been PLENTY for 800rwhp.

Reason I ask is that smaller injectors are easier to control and provide much better resolution on the fuel map.

Sorry the only bs3 .cal files I have saved are for a 440 mopar. I can send you some AEM viper datalogs and .cal files if you want to see what i'm running on pump gas turbo motors. Honestly getting it to run is the easy part. Startup, off idle response, part throttle etc is what takes lots of time.

Oh and 14.3 under a no load idle is WAY rich. Under vac conditions don't be afraid to lean that mofo out to what you think are scary levels. My motors run near 18:1 at highway speeds (80ish) with little load, 488ci, and get near 30mpg. Don't start to worry about a/f too much till you're over 6psi on pump gas. If you want to send me the .cal files and a couple datalogs i'll look them over and do some map work for ya. Try it out and see how the car responds.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any tuning questions.

R/T

I could not figure out a better way to fit the wastgate and still have the hood close. There is only so much room. The turbo is actually a GT42RS instead of the R that I posted. The info I have on it says it is 102mm, 53 trim, 60 A/R compressor and 84 trim 1.15 A/R turbine.
      I sized the injectors so that I wouldn't have to buy new ones when I rebuild the motor to handle more boost. Let's just say I have big plans for it. I do wish I would have built an LS motor though. I guess hind sight is 20/20.

I would welcome a second opinion on my cal files. I have it running pretty good already.

The computer doesn't see my cam sensor and I have been troubleshooting that for awhile. I replaced the cam sensor in the dist. and it still does not see it. I am going to verify that the wiring harness is good tonight. Any ideas?

Tim
      _________
      69 Camaro
      383 SBC
      BS3
      GT42RS

Quote Originally Posted by TTR
      R/T

I could not figure out a better way to fit the wastgate and still have the hood close. There is only so much room. The turbo is actually a GT42RS instead of the R that I posted. The info I have on it says it is 102mm, 53 trim, 60 A/R compressor and 84 trim 1.15 A/R turbine.
      I sized the injectors so that I wouldn't have to buy new ones when I rebuild the motor to handle more boost. Let's just say I have big plans for it. I do wish I would have built an LS motor though. I guess hind sight is 20/20.

I would welcome a second opinion on my cal files. I have it running pretty good already.

The computer doesn't see my cam sensor and I have been troubleshooting that for awhile. I replaced the cam sensor in the dist. and it still does not see it. I am going to verify that the wiring harness is good tonight. Any ideas?

Tim

Has the pcm ever been able to pickup the cam sensor? If you know for certain (mostly anyway as it's a new sensor) the next step is to check the wire harness. Make sure the pins in the plug that connect to the pcm are seated properly and making good contact. If thats all fine then check the gap on the sensor pickup.

How are you positive it's not picking up the cam sensor?

I'll PM you my email addy if you want to send me the .cal files to check out.

Not Bad for Chevy Guy

Will it be enough?

You may want to go with a bigger fuel pump. That combo will max out that A-1000 in a hurry. My car was making 658 at the tires and the pump was done. Very nice build you will be very happy with that turbo Ive had the same one.
      BOOST JUNKIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TA_Thomas
      Will it be enough?
      Yes it will. I know who you are TA! The question for you is, will it run?
      _________
      69 Camaro
      383 SBC
      BS3
      GT42RS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com