Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

G-bodies and AFX spindles

As people start installing these on their g-bodies, I would love start a list of what size wheels/tires you are using on the front and the proper backspacing. I am in the market for some new wheels, but absolutely want to order the right size the first time. The TTll's I have now are not much help in trying to order the right size since they require spacers with the C-5 brake stuff. I have ordered some 17X7 with 4" bs for a temporary solution, but once someone gets the size right, I will order the new style wheels I want.

Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

i dont have those spindles yet...but they are on order from SC&C. Im running 17x8 with 4"bs...and i think they will fit just fine. Call up mark....he will know exactlly what you need on there.

I have been up there numerous times, while my car was being worked on, and I saw the prototypes for the spindles on his frame jig. Awesome stuff....I cant wait to get mine.

It will probably be a while 'till I install mine (ordered from SC&C last week along with upper/lower tubular arms, the bling plated ball joints and coilover conversion kit). Since Tyler says that they do not increase track width, I too am hoping that the 17x7 4"BS wheels I already have will be OK. Please let me know how those fit. Although I guess I'll see for myself in a few weeks

Sorry for making a post without answering your question. I hate it when people do that.

By the way...Mark at SC&C is awsome, just like everyone says. Made me feel like one of his buddies by answering every question in depth and NEVER making me feel like I was wasting his time. Class act right there!!!

Rubes

Have any of you use 17x8 up front with 4" backspace or more of backspace with the AFX spindles?

I ended up ordering 17x7 w 4 3/4 bs. I doubt you will make 8" fit.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Bill do you have any pics of the install?

why would an 8" wheel not fit? interference with the control arms, spindle or what? I've had a 9.5" wheel on the front of my malibu....it was ok just plan on making 12 point turns lol.....tire to frame clearance = nil
      Matt
      1980 Malibu, off the jackstands.....let's see if a T-56 will last longer than a TH-700R4

Any one from ATS can see if a 17x8 will work or not? Wickedmotorhead put some different type of wheels on and I don't know what size thay where.

I just left a message with Tyler at ATS and Shane put 17x8 wheels on all corners on his car with no problem on Buick that he have.

I am running American S200's on my 79 Malibu that are 17x8 w/ 5" backspacing on all four corners. The front I am running b-body spindles(soon to be AFX spindles), C5 rotors and calipers w/ no spacer and a 245/45/17. The rear I am running a 1/2" spacer with a 255/45/17 tire. The front rubs once in a great while (at full lock). When I autocross the car I have never heard it rubb. I tried a 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing on the front with my autocross tires 245/45/17's and it rubbed bad. Andy

It will be interesting to see how the new spindles work for you. With the lowering springs combined with the ATX, my car has the right look but the wheel offset had to be changed. Once you sort it out, I will order a new set of custom wheels for myself. I will say this though, after the weekend of autocrossing, I am very happy with the spindles. The car is absolutely on rails now and we still have some suspension tuning to do. Just a tad more camber and we will be set. I am so happy with the times compared to all the high tech cars that were at the event. the best time any camaro did was a 64.1 and the bu did a 65.5
      I know that is a bunch but the camaro was DSE's test car with all their goodies and much more hp. I feel the bu's times were very respectable.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

I just noticed this thread and thought I`d chime in. The AFX spindle and C5 rotor only have about .250" more offset to the outside (the thickness of the rotor) vs. stock G spindles and rotors so the difference between the two is very slight. I like 4.5" BS on G bodys in general for best tire clearance in the front so if you`ve got 4"BS the tires will be a little closer but it should still work fine so long as it`s not ground dragging low. A little more - camber will free up some fender clearance also. We also tried the spindles with a 17x8.5 Momo with 5"BS and there`s LOTS of tie rod end clearance (about 1/2" more than stock G spindles). They actually fit inside a 7.5"BS C5 wheel (it just won`t fit on a G body) so they`re not too particular about wheel fitment.
      Bill just wait until you get it dialed in. It`s pretty close in geometry to our G-5 package and I`m still impressed with our G-5 Cutlass every time I drive it. The harder you drive the car the more you`ll appreciate it. Mark SC&C
      Last edited by Marcus SC&C; 10-23-2006 at 08:55 AM.

Mark,
      Is the 4.5" BS better for the stock spindles also or just the ATS ones? If so, is this just for clearance at the fender or does it make a difference in the handling as compared to a wheel with a 4" BS?
      Larry.

On my Buick, I currently have the following up front

17 x 8.5 w/4.47 inch backspace, 245-40 tire.

Stock spindle with -1 degree of camber. Absolutley zero interference, and I like the way the wheel sits in the well.
      Jason

Buick Motorsports aka No Mercy Motorsports.

1985 Buick Regal, Pro-Touring inspired to start. Full on pro-touring as time and money permit.

Hey Guys, anybody tried C6 18 x 8.5 all the way around or 9.5 on back of a g body, with spacers,regardless of inner fenders etc, is that all it hits, or what else has to be modded. Looking to put c6 wheels on 86 elco, willing to cut inners frt and rr, any help? Thanks

I read through the thread, and couldn't find what I was looking for, can anyone tell me is C5 rotors and calipers will fit inside of a TT II's 17x8 rim on the front of a G-body with ATS spindles? Am I looking at any rubbing issues.....how low can I go before I am looking at issues?

Also, about the question above, any answers on whether or not a 17x9.5 rim can be stuffed under the rear of a G-body with 275/40/R17 tires? If so, what is required, and how low can I go until I have issues?

Almost forgot, if the combo above does work, what B.S. do I need to be running front/rear?

afx spindles and wheels

I just ordered the AFX spindles from ATS. Mark at SC&C is the g-body guru and spent much time on the phone ironing out details of backspacing and such. I'll be running C6 calipers with matching 12.8" rotors until further funding permeits an upgrade to either Z51 (J55) option larger discs (13.5"), and Hawk pads.
      Wheels, according to several sources, can range 8.5" and even 9" up front depending on camber and ride height. I've ordered ROH Drift R's in 18x9 front and 18x10 rear. Fronts have 5" back space and rears will have a custom adapter made. Tires are 245 40 front and 285 40 rear.
      Its all going in an 86 Regal. got 800lb. coils front & 175lb rears all with adjustable ride height perches (circle track stuff). Will run standard sway bar till I get a better idea in sorting the suspension set up. It should stick like glue, at least compared to now! Mark has been a great help and has all sorts of cool stuff in the pipeline for g-bodies including a Watts-link!

When I get it all together I'll update with specifics for rear backspace and any issues with the install.

What springs are you guys running in the front?? I have a set of MOOG 5658 for my GN. I'm hoping to accomplish a 2" total drop with the AFX spindles and MOOG springs. -------Jeremy

What factory GM wheels can I bolt on to a G body that will clear C5 brakes and have no rubbing issues ?

no one ???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com