Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      will 96 Impala SS wheels clear C5's ?? I know their the wrong bolt pattern and the offset is wrong but a set of adaptors can fix both of those problems.

I run 18x9 and 18x10. Tires are 255/40/18 and 295/30/18. I have 9.5" 550lb circle track springs in the front with adjustable spring cups and 185lb coilovers in the rear. Front wheels have 4.75in of backspacing.
      My car is low, ask mark. I dont rub but I do have a frame notch in the rear and no inner fender wells in the front with the chrome trim massaged a bit.

JEFF SHORTT
      -IDEAL STEEL

anyone have a problem with the tire hitting the frame on turns? i am trying to figure out my spacer thickness. i'm using 17x8.5 w/54mm offset up front. i believe i'm good with 2" spacers. the car will be dropped 2-3in.
      work in progress--for the next 10 years.
      1987 monte carlo ss 383ci, 9.7:1, xe274 cam, vortec heads, 200r4, 3.73 posi.

afx spindles on g-bodies

Ok folks. Finally got it together, snow's is melting out here so had to be able to play ya know.
      Here's the skinny. I just got it together two days ago and aligned today so started pushing it a bit in the twisties. Refer to the setup I posted above I think May 07.
      Back spacing: I'm running 18X8 F with 245 40 18 and 18X10 R with 285 35 18 (bout 27 inches tall by 11.75" wide). Five (5) inches backspace on the rear; gives about 1/2" - 5/8" between tire and frame and about the same on the fender. I have them trimmed about a 1/4" in from the outer edge. Tucks right in and looks great!
      Fronts are 5" BS with a 5mm thick hub centric spacer (about .2"). No rubbing and tucks in perfectly at full compression without fender mods.
      I had custom adapters made for the rears as they came at 6.5" BS. I would HIGHLY recommend wheeladapters.com. They make them hub and wheel centric and turn around is a day or so.
      Assembly: Its a bit trial and error but pretty easy other wise. You will have to remove the steering stops from the control arms (they don't tell you that). The SPC adjustable arms look sick and are a breeze to use when adjusting alignment but they have no bumpstops. I installed limiting straps but they are not necessarily needed. Any questions, call Mark at SC&C. He'll talk your ear off but what an amazing help and wealth of knowledge that guy has.
      Driving: Hard to compare from skinnies but DAMN! I don't even have my sway bar on yet and still have some tuning/ride hight adjustments to make but it does damn well so far. I've got it set to a performance oriented alignment and turn initiation is pretty nice. Seems to increase steering ratio a bit too. Predictable and alot of fun. Can't wait to get it fully sorted and get to some sort of 'legal' twistie event.
      Additional info: I'm happy to talk to anyone doing the swap and make recommendations/troubleshooting tips. I don't have any new pics just yet but will soon. If anyone wants to get an idea of the wheel/tire combo and how it looks just let me know & I'll be happy to forward some pics. email: [email protected]
      All the best and happy touring!

AFX / C6 Z06 and a G body...

I need help on wheel fitment as well. My challenge is I don't have the front clip on my car yet, and need to order wheels/tires asap so I can roll this thing around the body shop. Its an 87 GN with AFX spindles in front, and C6 Z06 brakes all the way around. I have Global west UCA's (offset for B-body spindle), stock lowers, and Eibach drop springs on all 4 corners. I'm trying to buy a 18" wheel to fit these monster brakes (it'll be a 3 piece). As a reference Simmons F-series 18" will not fit. (rim hardware hits the calipers) Wanting to run a 245/40/18 in the front and a 295/35/18 rear. I will go 285 in the rear if needed, but Im lookin at that 295/35/18 BFG drag radial I have the rear fenderwell rolled. Is ANYONE running the AFX / C6 Z06 combo on a G-body yet????? Please, someone????

Any help is appreciated...
      Gino T. Rinaldi
      [email protected]

87 Buick GN 52k miles, 11.40@121 Pro Touring Frame Off in process
      87 Buick Turbo T 7k original Miles
      86 Buick Regal T-Type Turbo WH-1 1 of 463

bump this back up. I ordered wheels in late March, and I just got them today. The company wouldnt let me give my input on backspace and here I sit with a set of 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear all with 5.5" of backspace, AFX spindle/C6Z06 brakes on all 4 corners. Theres no way these things are going to work without at least an inch spacer... I'm a little bummed since it took 14 weeks to get these things in the first place. I test fitted the fronts and they hit my tubular UCA on full lock, and theyre gonna rub the frame BAD on the rear without a heavy spacer there too. Also, I ordered a gloss gunmetal finish and I received a matte finish, so I think I'm going to have to send these back. I didnt drop 4k on wheels and tires to have to use a spacer.... Is ANYONE running a C6 Z06 setup with AFX spindles on a G body? please?? I need to get this backspace thing figured out so I can get some wheels.. I'm totally worn out on this subject...
      Gino T. Rinaldi
      [email protected]

87 Buick GN 52k miles, 11.40@121 Pro Touring Frame Off in process
      87 Buick Turbo T 7k original Miles
      86 Buick Regal T-Type Turbo WH-1 1 of 463

How much are these spindles? Is there a distributor cheaper than the $750 guys out there? Damn, I want a pair of these bad boys.

Country Flag: United States
      If anyone has any pics of these installed, and of the spindles themselves up close, please post them.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by GinoRin
      .... I ordered wheels in late March, and I just got them today. The company wouldnt let me give my input on backspace and here I sit with a set of 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear all with 5.5" of backspace, AFX spindle/C6Z06 brakes on all 4 corners. Theres no way these things are going to work without at least an inch spacer... I didnt drop 4k on wheels and tires to have to use a spacer.... Is ANYONE running a C6 Z06 setup with AFX spindles on a G body? please?? I need to get this backspace thing figured out so I can get some wheels.. I'm totally worn out on this subject...
      Any pics?
      I suggest doing preliminary BS verifications w/a known wheel. That would give you an idea of what you need before spending more time/effort on wheels you might receive based on an over the phone recommendation.

I have just installed a set of CCW Classic's & Toyo T1R tires on my 86' T-Type and I must say They fit GREAT! This is on a complete stock system! Future up-grades will soon be- The SSBC dual piston calipers with slotted rotors up front and F-Body disc brakes in the rear and eventually a full Air-Ride kit..
      Here is my sizes.

Wheel sizes:

FRONT: 18" X 9.5" W/ 4.75 Back spacing..
      REAR: 18" X 10" W/ 4.75 Back spacing..

Tire sizes:

FRONT: 255 / 35 ZR18
      REAR: 285 / 40 ZR18

Picture:
      1986 Buick T-Type

RideTech, DSE, BAER Brakes, Forgeline Wheels, LED lighting, More!

* Get your Top of the line GPS Theft recovery devices Here!
      www.GNSperformance.com

1994-97 Impala SS wheels fit as far as a bolt on with regards to clearance however, I used B-body spindles and re-drilled my axles for the 5 on 5 pattern. I ordered them from an ROH distributor about four years ago but they are not available anymore. They had 5" B/S-ing and fit my 79 Monte like a glove. I had Hotchkis uppers, F-body front anti-roll bar (1.25" diam.) and Olds Cutlass diesel springs with half a coil cut. This gave me an overall drop of three inches and even with an Iroc gearbox, I had no rubbing problems. I ran 255/45/17 tires up front and 285/40/17 in the back. However, I am now doing my own b-body spindle mods to accept brackets for the -05-up Caddy CTS-V front brakes as well as the rears. I am building for maximum braking so 14" rotors and Brembos at all four corners will be in my future by April hopefully.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Solution to all your offset and tire questions

If you find this thread and want to know how to determine the correct offset to make the biggest tire fit without rubbing, check out the Tire MountMate at www.wheelworksinc.com .

Quote Originally Posted by alphaenvirmgt View Post
      I have C6 8.5 x 18 front wheels on my 84GN with B-car (tall) spindles and Hotchkis tubular b-car conversion upper control arms. I could position the wheel tire way more inside but have an interferencw with the upper ball joint area of the control arm. Thinking about seeing if the C6 9.5 x 19 rear wheel will fit the front. It all fits with Riken Raptor 245/45-18 tires on front but would like to move the front wheel-tire inboard 1/2" or so to stay away from the fender lip.
      Conrad
      Conrad,
      unless you do some major massaging of the front fender or remove the inner fender there is NO WAY a 9.5x19 will fit, unless you just go straight...would look sick though

Quote Originally Posted by xxxturbo6 View Post
      I have just installed a set of CCW Classic's & Toyo T1R tires on my 86' T-Type and I must say They fit GREAT! This is on a complete stock system! Future up-grades will soon be- The SSBC dual piston calipers with slotted rotors up front and F-Body disc brakes in the rear and eventually a full Air-Ride kit..
      Here is my sizes.

Wheel sizes:

FRONT: 18" X 9.5" W/ 4.75 Back spacing..
      REAR: 18" X 10" W/ 4.75 Back spacing..

Tire sizes:

FRONT: 255 / 35 ZR18
      REAR: 285 / 40 ZR18

Picture:
      bump for a SICK ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by alphaenvirmgt View Post
      I have C6 8.5 x 18 front wheels on my 84GN with B-car (tall) spindles and Hotchkis tubular b-car conversion upper control arms. I could position the wheel tire way more inside but have an interferencw with the upper ball joint area of the control arm. Thinking about seeing if the C6 9.5 x 19 rear wheel will fit the front. It all fits with Riken Raptor 245/45-18 tires on front but would like to move the front wheel-tire inboard 1/2" or so to stay away from the fender lip.
      Conrad
      Conrad,

Not sure if the 19's will fit but I can vouch for the 18's! You haven't mentioned your back spacing, what is that front & rear?

I currently have 18"x 9.5" rims up front with a 255/35-18 tire and my ride height from the ground to the fender lip measured at the center of the wheel is 24 5/8"... My BS is (4.75" front & rear)

No massaging of the inner fender lip or inner fender. Things will change when I go to the BAER brake set up as the BAER brakes move the front wheel outward .400 (1/2") and the rear .200..

So as long as you stay with stock style brakes you should be fine. If you have 3-piece wheels this kind of switch is a piece of cake cause all you do is change out your hoops to the new size you need & back spacing.

I'm also running -1.1 deg camber right now and will soon be moving it up to -1.5 deg. wich will also give us a tad more room at the top of the wheel well opening.

Scot W,
      1986 Buick T-Type

www.GNSperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by GBodyGMachine View Post
      I run 18x9 and 18x10. Tires are 255/40/18 and 295/30/18. I have 9.5" 550lb circle track springs in the front with adjustable spring cups and 185lb coilovers in the rear. Front wheels have 4.75in of backspacing.
      My car is low, ask mark. I dont rub but I do have a frame notch in the rear and no inner fender wells in the front with the chrome trim massaged a bit.

way old post but i've seen pics of your car...low is an understatement. i've got almost the identical set up and been running the autocross a bit. it needs to be lower i think but i'm hesitant to remove inner fenders. doesn't it get sh*t all over the engine bay?

Quote Originally Posted by gearheadmatt View Post
      bump for a SICK ride!!
      Thanks for the compliment!

Scot W.
      1986 Buick T-Type

www.GNSperformance.com

i have been on the montecarloss website and a couple guys are running 18x9.5 and 17x9.5 rear and front the say wihth spacers thery are getting the stock vette wheels to fit all around, doe sanyone have experience with this

I have C4 Corvette wheels 17x8.5 & 17x9.5 on my Elco. B-body spindle but my C5 brake swap is still on the shelf. Give me a month or so.
      Eric Evans

Speedtech G Body Track Time package

Here is our new GN that has the complete Track Time Package installed, the package includes
      AFX Spindles and steering arms
      Tubular upper and lower arms that are designed for max clearance, the GN is running 18x 9 with 6" bs and 275 30's
      ridetech coil overs specific to the package
      front chassis / steering box brace
      1 5/16 tubular sway bar
      a Lee steering box is also available.

The Rear inclused upper and lower trailing arms with Articulink joints. both uppers and lowers are adjustable.
      Coil over conversion that also includes instant center and anti squat adjustment.
      ProTouring adjustable sway bar

if you have any questions let me know
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com