Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

383 whats the best size of exhaust?

i have been thinking of getting the exhaust done but people keep saying 3'' is to big, and others saying you need it? i dont want to lose any torq, the setup is 383 412hp 700r magnaflow mufflers and a x pipe. whats on it now is 2.25

69 camaro, 383 stroker, 700r, 3:73 auburn, JL stereo, marquez lights front/back, adj qa1's, custom dash, sts swaybars 1 1/4-7/8, global west a-arms/subframe connectors, suede interior.

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/jigga99/

Country Flag: United States
      2.5" will work fine. I have a 508 hp 383 running through 2.5". I have considered 3", but am not sure the benefit will payoff.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

What is your header configuration (primary size and collector type/size?)
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

And will your system be true duals? With tailpipes? Any plans to run nitrous or other power adder sometime?

I went with LT Hedman Huslers, 1 3/4" to 3" collectors, out through a true dual 3" Torque Tech system that exits behind the wheels. Flowmaster Deltaflow 50-series. Love it. It's a blown 383, though. If it wasn't blown and you have no plans for nitrous 2.5" duals should be perfect.

Jim
      Don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Half-Assed = Half-Fast

the header is Tube Size 1.625 O.D. in.; Coll. Size 3 O.D. in.
      no the engine is high compression so i wont run anything on this one.
      69 camaro, 383 stroker, 700r, 3:73 auburn, JL stereo, marquez lights front/back, adj qa1's, custom dash, sts swaybars 1 1/4-7/8, global west a-arms/subframe connectors, suede interior.

Which "X" are you going to use?

If using a Dr. Gas get the 3"in/2-1/2"out. This will make your fitment easier to deal with.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Ill second the 3" in, 2.5" out.......

Or 3" to the muffler and 2.5" out of the muffler. As long as it is a NA type of induction.

Quote Originally Posted by jigga99
      the header is Tube Size 1.625 O.D. in.; Coll. Size 3 O.D. in.
      no the engine is high compression so i wont run anything on this one.
      High compression? That header is for a stock size motor. I run at least a 1.75 primary tube or 1.875 primary tube. Exhaust go with 2.5 inch, but get mandrel bent tubing. Cost is more, but at least the tube size stays the same.

Jeff

so running 3' x, pipe to the mufflers then 2.5 to the tips is good?

Yes, but the hard part is the muffler if you are running tailpipes.

I've been trying to find a really good, off-the-shelf 3"in/2.5" out 4"H x 9"W x 14-16L" muffler. They are hard to find. There are plenty of 2.5"/2.5" mufflers with sufficient flow for our needs.

Muffler shops will want to use a bushing to reduce the outlet, but that's not the way to keep the flow maximized. What I will likely do, since my "X" is 3"/3", is get a set of Flowmaster reducing cones and run them just in front of the muffler. The cones have a gradual size reduction vs. a step bushing. There's not enough room to run the cone aft of the muffler. This setup would still allow you to step up to 3"/3" should the need arise.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Anyone know anything about the Flowmaster "hushpower" mufflers?

They look nice and compact and are "supposed" to be a bit quieter than the traditional flowmaster mufflers.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Guys

We can custom build almost any muffler size/length you need. We can also build them with 2 1/2" outlets, 3" inlets with either a straight through core or with chambered internal baffling.

Give us a call at 800-878-3635 or email us at [email protected]

Thanks
      Al Noe
      Stainless Works

There's not much money saving going 3 to 2.5,I would just go 3inch,with some good mufflers.or get a flowmaster cat back system for it.

I don't think it has anything to do with $$ for most folks. It seems to be more about packaging and for me sound. Not everyone likes wide open 3" pipes.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com