Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

Required reading info on RC, IC, CG, LLC, anti-dive etc..(from old site)

ddennis68
      (7/7/04 7:36 pm)
      Reply info on RC, IC, CG, LLC, anti-dive etc..
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      OK call me a @#%$, where is good place to get info to better understand all of these aspects and how changes to the chassis affect theses measurements and vehicle handling characteristics?
      Thanks
      Dennis-

check out progress of Bondobucket

chicane67
      (7/7/04 7:43 pm)
      Reply | Edit Re: info on RC, IC, CG, LLC, anti-dive etc..
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Well, here is a start to recommended reading..........

"Tune to Win" by Carroll Smith

"Engineer to Win" by Carroll Smith

"Race Car Engineering and Mechanics" by Paul Valkenburg

"Chassis Engineering/Chassis Design, Building & Tuning for High Performance Handling" by Herb Adams

"How to make your car handle" by Fred Phun

"Competiton Car Suspension: Design, Construction, Tuning" by Allan Staniforth

All available at/from : www.gmecca.com/byorc/desi...books.html

Edited by: chicane67 at: 7/7/04 7:47 pm

Mean 69
      (7/7/04 8:47 pm)
      Reply More opinions
      Tommy listed some of my favorites. In order of preference, for us PT type folk, I'd suggest Herb's book first, then Alain Staniforth's, then Carroll Smith's Tune to Win (although, this one has more emphasis on open wheel cars, it still has a ton of great info and is very educational). After you have read these three, at least two times each, and provided you have a basic technical background (i.e. BS Engineering, or at least you can understand the Mathematics and basic Physics), then you can get the Milliken's brother's Race Car Vehicle Dynamics. This book is only available through the SAE, as far as I know.

Anyway, besides the first three "essential" reads, there are two other things that you can do. One, keep an important and detailed log of your own car, monitoring changes and results in a very detailed manner. Two, invite some of your closest motorhead addicts to help you tune out the car. This can most easily be attained by luring them with really good scotch (in the case of Tom and myself), or root beer (in the case of David P, who I still owe a six pack to for solving a fuel pump issue for YEARS ago via the web!!!), as well as a large number of others (Norm Peterson comes very quickly to mind).

Read, ask lots of questions, study the answers to be sure they make sense, then read some more. This hobby is addictive, the more you learn, the more you want to learn.

BTW: There is a good anti-roll bar thread going now, and by far the best section on lateral weight transfer I have read is in Alain Staniforth's book listed above. Brilliant. Must read!

Mark

MarcusUSA1
      (7/8/04 7:28 pm)
      Reply Re: More opinions
      Mark`s got the right idea. Herb`s book first for a general background then the rest when and if you decide to get serious. I refer to many of these books often at the shop. You can read them over and over (and over) and still learn something everytime. Marcus

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com