Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

The BAD AST Project - Faze II

It has taken a while to get back on the Astro Project but I have gotten a good start this past week.
      Here is a quick photshop I did of the van. I have done some major "rethinking" this past winter and spring. The stance is accurate and the tires and wheel sizes are to scale. This is the "look" I am going for.
      The cowl hood is a first blush. I still have a lot of work to do to the hood to extend it back to the windshield like I want it. The scoop is two inches high in this pic but I plan to do a three and a four inch to see what they look like. The Silverado bumper is still kinda stock looking. It will get a re-styling also to slim it up and take some "weight" out of the front end look.

Let me know what you think. I am looking for feedback and constructive criticizm.
      Mark

Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

After a long hiatus (too long) I finally got Faze II of my BAD AST Project kicked off Tuesday night. I cut a bunch of 2" tubing to length and got the tubing notcher set back up and ready to go.
      These pieces are for the lower rails and crossmembers. The shorter ones (crossmembers) will be notched on both ends.

Setting up the tubing notcher is pretty basic. I clamp it to an angle plate that is, in turn, clamped to the jig table.

Notching the first end of the tube is easy. Orientation is not a concern and length isn't established until the 2nd notch is put in. This piece of tubing, bolted to a 2nd angle plate, sets up the notch orientation so I know they are parallel and it also sets the length. All I do is set the 1st notch into the tubing, clamp it in the notcher and do the notch. Easy and fairly idiot proof...

Here is a tube clamped into the fixture...

I haven't notched the new pieces yet. I hope to get more done this weekend but it is a start...
      Mark
      Mark:

Mark,
      It looks good. I like the bumper the way it is to be honest. Also, your jig for cutting the notches is great; simple and effective. Those are the kind of things I have scratched my head about before.

By the way, we never met up for a beer. I have been pretty busy as I'm sure you have been. We should get together though. The fab class I signed up for got cancelled last spring. Are you still looking into classes?

Ken
      69 Camaro
      427, 4 speed, TTII's, Konis, JL8 clone brakes, solid AL body bushings, some assembly still required

69 Corvette
      427, 4 speed, TTII's, Bilsteins, HEI, what I work on while the Camaro sits

i like it - looks nice
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

aaah i like where youre going with this.

Thats gonna be baaadda$$
      keep us updated

Ken F
      69 Camaro
      W/D sub, Wilwood 13" brakes Bozeforged wheels 18X10 & 18X12,
      Lateral dynamics 3 link ( custom setup ) Dana 60
      lsX Twin Turbo, soon to come
      Viper T56 in place (Yay)
      Bought a running driving car so I can enjoy it before Im dead
      LD 3 Link Installed into ^^^^^ (Yay)

I love it so far... cant wait to see it take shape. I have been thinking about a PT style Astro for a few years now.

Have you considered a syclone bumper? I think it would match the lines better...if it would even fit

Two things.

- If you like the sy bumber i can get you measurements and even a glass bumper if you need to stretch it.

- You have to get the latest issue of Sport Truck there is a bitchen Dodge mini-van that has been channeled and built for touring. Looks awesome.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Mark, I really like the look you've got going there, but I have a hood idea. Try something like the ram air hood off a firebird. I think it would look meaner and tie into the bumper's look better. But you have to remember, I'm crazy.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

Hey guys,
      Thanks for the positive response to BAD AST! I have reams of drawings and sketches I have done of different looks and styling ideas.
      I've attached a couple that are presentable...
      I guess it won't let me add an attachment so I'll load the pics from my Fotki site...

sonofernest, syborg tt
      I am not sure what the Syclone bumper looks like. Got a pic? I know it will be too narrow but that isn't a problem. I can stretch it whether it's steel or 'glass. I am hesitant to use 'glass though just because of where I live and all of the "wildlife" that I encounter on the road... A glass bumper won't survive a racoon or possum hit like steel will...
      Thanks for the great feedback guys. That's exactly what I am looking for.

Ken... Give me a holler! I was busy all weekend with a family reunion so I didn't take time to check the site. I would be happy to get together anytime after work if you want to name the place...
      Mark
      Mark:

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer
      Hey sonofernest, syborg tt
      I am not sure what the Syclone bumper looks like. Got a pic? I know it will be too narrow but that isn't a problem. I can stretch it whether it's steel or 'glass.
      You could use a steel support under the glass cover to strengthen it. But i agree they are pretty week.

marty-mj

A road-racing Astro van.

That is soooo wierd.....and so cool!
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

I can honestly say I never thought I'd use the words "cool" and "Astrovan" in the same sentence, but you just proved me wrong..

i like the hood on this one..

Mark, where are you putting the motor?
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer
      It has taken a while to get back on the Astro Project but I have gotten a good start this past week.
      Here is a quick photshop I did of the van. I have done some major "rethinking" this past winter and spring. The stance is accurate and the tires and wheel sizes are to scale. This is the "look" I am going for.
      The cowl hood is a first blush. I still have a lot of work to do to the hood to extend it back to the windshield like I want it. The scoop is two inches high in this pic but I plan to do a three and a four inch to see what they look like. The Silverado bumper is still kinda stock looking. It will get a re-styling also to slim it up and take some "weight" out of the front end look.

Let me know what you think. I am looking for feedback and constructive criticizm.
      Mark
      COOL!!!

Looking forward to actually seeing pics of this bad boy!

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.
      Matt, my original intention was to shove the motor back 14" and down around 5". This has changed though so I could drop the van farther. I haven't repositioned the engine in my files to the new body location but I am thinking a 10" setback and 2" drop will be viable.
      Faze I was designed around the engine location. Faze II puts the body where I want it and be-damned where the motor ends up. It should still help with the CG but I think getting the body lower will help more, both in looks AND handling...
      Mark
      Mark:

I actually made some headway on the project this past weekend. Not a lot but at least I am moving forward again.
      I got busy real early Saturday morning. I was up at 5:45, made a pot of coffee and was out in the shop at 6:15 am.
      I wanted to use a die grinder and cutoff wheel to cut the (welds) on the old frame so I had to get my compressor running on automatic again.
      It is a used compressor (7 1/2 horse, 2 stage, 80 gal tank) and the pressure switch had been monkeyed with. I pulled it off and un-monkeyed it. Straightened the contacts and cleaned them up. I put it back together, fired it up and she now starts at 90cfm and stops at 150... Good enough for me! I then made this pile of scrap in an hour or so...

Most of the bubblegum welds broke easily with a hammer after I cut one side apart.
      I think I will make a heavy duty cart out of the lower ladder frame. A plywood floor and some wheels/tires should make it usable.
      Thanks for looking.
      Mark
      Mark:

I didn't get out to the shop as early Sunday as I did Saturday but I still got a lot done. Yesterday afternoon I started cleaning up all of the pieces I will re-use from the old frame and I finished those up today. Grinding off the nasty old welds probably took as long as it would have to make new pieces but I couldn't see not reusing the old ones. I would have spent the time either way so why waste the material...
      I did a quick mock-up of the new lower rails and crossmembers to see what the fit-up looks like. The notches came out great and I have some tight fitting joints for welding.

A couple more...

I still have to clean up all of the welding surfaces yet, this is just a look see for fit-up. I will go over all of the joints with a flap wheel on the die grinder to prep for welding...
      Mark
      Mark:

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com