Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      What is the status of BAD AST as of now?! Merely curious.

On the back burner, Bud, WAAYY back... If you have seen any of my other threads here you know I was laid off in early December. I have been spending my time looking for a new job and developing some "other" prospects.
      I have spent a lot of time in front of my computer developing 3D pieces/parts and doing some chassis design work for a customer in NJ. It would be nice to get a couple of these projects to the point where I can make a living off them. That is the goal. Even when I get another job I will be working toward being my own boss after a fashion. It may take a year or two but I am going to push to make it happen.
      Thanks for asking about Bad Ast. When I get back to it I am thinking I may just finish up the rear tubs and suspension, drop the front and slide a small block into it. That would make it drivable and fun and won't take a lot of money. Being laid off sucks big time!
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

I was wondering that myself. Obviously you are a talented suspension designer, I mean, hell, you actually got me to listen when you were helping me with some suspension questions!
      '66 Chevy II - The "NEW" '69 Camaro!

***Under Construction***

Build Update Link:

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17108

Sorry to hear about your loss. From what I have seen of your designs abilities you should have no problem getting started working for yourself. I feel your pain about being in this hobby without the propper financing. I have not worked a day in my life because of health issues, so you can amagin how long it is going to take me to finish my projects.
      Dog will Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer
      On the back burner, Bud, WAAYY back... If you have seen any of my other threads here you know I was laid off in early December. I have been spending my time looking for a new job and developing some "other" prospects.
      I have spent a lot of time in front of my computer developing 3D pieces/parts and doing some chassis design work for a customer in NJ. It would be nice to get a couple of these projects to the point where I can make a living off them. That is the goal. Even when I get another job I will be working toward being my own boss after a fashion. It may take a year or two but I am going to push to make it happen.
      Thanks for asking about Bad Ast. When I get back to it I am thinking I may just finish up the rear tubs and suspension, drop the front and slide a small block into it. That would make it drivable and fun and won't take a lot of money. Being laid off sucks big time!
      Mark
      Mark, I just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain to a great extent. I still have my present job, but I lost my Dad to pneumonia and Alzheimer's this past September. Consequently, I have had to put my '82 Cougar on ice temporarily. After I move out from my Mom's, I plan on working on Tha Coug' again.

It's a bummer when you have to put your plans on hold, but this does happen.

I would gladly lose my job then go through that, any day... I send my sympathies to you and your family.
      My dad is getting up there and he has a few health issues but he is still pretty active so we are thankful for that.
      Life happens, we do what we have to do and we continue on. The job situation is looking up. I have done well on the drawing tests I have been taking (duh) and I expect to get some real offers here in the next week or so. Everyone is gragging their feet though so it is taking a while.
      It has been WAY to cold here to work in the shop anyway. Even with the heat the cold just soaks through the concrete floor and I can only work out there for a half hour or so before it starts to bother my feet and knees.
      Mark
      Mark:

Mark:

How are your job prospects turning out?! Are you working on Bad Ast again?! Merely curious.

Hey FGC...
      I thought I had responded to your post before but I guess it didn't take.
      The job situation is going well! I am actually at work this morning. 64 hour work weeks are common around here. I will jump on the bandwagon and ride it till they kick me off!
      Obviously this won't leave much time to work in the shop but I have to get caught back up after the layoff fiasco and the over time will help immensly.
      I got picked up by AM General if you haven't seen my other posts. I am working on Humvees now. I am on the military side but I do a lot of the commercial stuff also which is where the O.T. is at...
      It is a good place to work. Everybody is great and I am fitting right in. Most of these guys are car nuts also so we have a lot in common. My engineer is a Corvette guru so we have lots to talk about besides work.
      Mark
      Mark:

Hey FGC...
      I thought I had responded to your post before but I guess it didn't take.
      The job situation is going well! I am actually at work this morning. 64 hour work weeks are common around here. I will jump on the bandwagon and ride it till they kick me off!
      Obviously this won't leave much time to work in the shop but I have to get caught back up after the layoff fiasco and the over time will help immensly.
      I got picked up by AM General if you haven't seen my other posts. I am working on Humvees now. I am on the military side but I do a lot of the commercial stuff also which is where the O.T. is at...
      It is a good place to work. Everybody is great and I am fitting right in. Most of these guys are car nuts also so we have a lot in common. My engineer is a Corvette guru so we have lots to talk about besides work.
      Mark
      Cool!!!

It's nice that you are going to be able to hang out with fellow car nuts, like ourselves!!!

Bump.

Bump again.

any updates?
      Chris V
      SOLD

No updates on Bad Ast... It's sitting in the shop on car dollies patiently waiting.
      Since I last posted in this thread I have:
      Started a new job.
      Lost my brother-in-law to a car accident on Easter weekend. This one is tough. My family is still in shreds over this and my sister will never be over it. We deal with it every day.
      Bought a '49 Ford F-1 pickup project.
      Stripped a donor truck for the '49. (Need a 351 Cleveland 2V?)
      Built a chassis rotissirie for the truck project.
      Hired direct to AM General. I am no longer a contract puke.
      Lost my brother-in-laws Dad to throat cancer.
      My cousin committed suicide last weekend along with his wife and youngest son...
      With all of this "stuff" going on and working up to 64 hours a week; the last six months have been hell. There just hasn't been a lot of time to put toward projects.
      I am starting a basic Tig welding class tonight. It's just a couple of nights for 3 hours or so but it should get me pointed in the right direction. I have been using my PT185 for a year or so now and can pull a "decent" weld but, I want to get better, and this class will force me to take the time to learn.
      Thanks for asking. I have decided to make Bad Ast a full frame project so a little redesign will happen over the winter but this is a simple change to make the chassis a lot better.
      Mark
      Mark:

My cousin committed suicide last weekend along with his wife and youngest son...
      not sure how that happened but it sounds like you have been having a rough go at it.
      Chris V
      SOLD

Mark:

You working in South Bend now or does AM General have facilites elsewhere?
      Free hostings of solid models!
      http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/Solids/Solids.html
      92 Stealth Twin Turbo with 3.5L Engine swap
      www.wrenchmonkey.com
      Looking for my next project, maybe an AWD 71 Lemans????

Quote Originally Posted by SatisTraction
      not sure how that happened but it sounds like you have been having a rough go at it.
      Yea, a rough go is putting it nicely... My cousin had lots of issues with previous wifes, kids and in-laws and I guess he got tired of all the B.S. I don't understand it all so I can't really comment, I just know this year has been one of those years where you just want it all to go away...

John,
      AM Generals Design & Engineering Center is in Livonia, Mi. I live 65 miles north of there, near Flint. The drive is okay most of the time. When it isn't is when I would like to test out some of the weapon systems I am working on...
      Mark:

Mark, sorry to hear about all the news. That is just devastating.

If you're working for AM General now in Livonia...I think you might be working with my friend Fred Meldrum.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Mark, just to pop in and let you know that you are in my thoughts after reading about all the bad stuff.
      Have Fun!
      André

2009 Chrysler 300C Touring.
      3.0 liter V6 diesel, five speed auto, black with light grey leather.
      1968 Chevelle Coupe.
      355cid, Viper T56, Corvette C4 IRS (Dana 44) and Corvette C4 IFS with Porsche 6piston Brembo's.
      1980 Chevy Van (shortie G10).
      355cid, TH350, 8.5" 10bolt posi and Belltech spindles.
      2000 BMW 540i Wagon. (FOR SALE €7K)
      4.4 liter V8, six speed manual, lowered and with Bilstein B8's, silver with black leather.
      2001 Ford Focus Wagon.
      1.8 liter turbo diesel, and a whoppin 90HP.:bsjerk:
      1968 Benelli Motorella
      foldable 50c scooter to go in a car trunk.
      2x '90s Yamaha TZR 2stroke bikes.
      one 125cc one cylinder and one will be 350cc two cylinder.

Thanks Andre, I appreciate the thought. This is the kind of stuff that you READ about... It never happens to YOU or your FAMILY... It is devastating beyond description and there is nothing anyone can do or say to make it better... It just takes time.

Hey Tony, Fred sits a couple of "cells" away. I haven't worked with him directly but I'll make a point to drop your name the next time we are talking.
      Mark:

Bump for Astroracer.....

Page 6 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com