Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which System for budget

I am fully aware that fuel injection is no cheap affair, or simple, or easy. But I do know it's worth it, especially since i plan on driving my car daily in the summer.
      I'm just building a mild 318 mopar, and I'm planning everything out, trying to figure out what areas of the build I'm going to cheap out on, and which ones to splurge. I plan on going much more aggressive in the future, maybe twin turbos as next summer's project?

I have a bit of a thing for Big Stuff 3 's setup. I like all that it comes with what it can do, and what it has done for other cars. But it is at the high end of the spectrum for price

Accel Gen VII is next down in price. I've heard it can do a lot and i'd probably be happy with it.

The third system I came across is the Haltech E6X, which controls fuel and spark, but only has 4 injector drivers, I'm not sure how I feel about throwing fuel away, but maybe I have it wrong and that doesn't happen.

Considering that (on the site i'm looking at ) big stuff is 2 grand, accel is 1600, and Haltech E6X is 1200. and that's not even including fuel system, or the rest of the ignition, it makes it a tough choice for me.

There are other setups out there, but Big stuff is pretty much my ceiling so i'm not mentioning anything higher in price than that, and I'm really not interested in things like megasquirt.

If there are setups you might think match my constraints better, or you have recommendations and/or opinions on these, please any and all help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
      Dan

anyone? anyone have experience with edelbrock performer pro-flo systems? they make a kid for SB mopars, which is a plus. comes with ignition fuel system and everything for 2 grand,. it seems like it sacrifices a lot? opinions?

Country Flag: United States
      Have you looked at MegaSquirt?
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

I'd rather not deal with open source software for this. thats why i siad i wasn't interested in megaquirt.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyho
      I'd rather not deal with open source software for this. thats why i siad i wasn't interested in megaquirt.
      Pardon me for not reading down to the last line of the seventh paragraph of your post. I saw budget and thought "MegaSquirt."

No such thing as a budget system that will allow the upgrade to big power later...unless you rethink your interest in Megasquirt.

You could find a factory FI type intake to fit your motor, and use the Haltech(i'm putting one on my GM Ecotec turbo'd sandrail). But for budget the Mega is it, and there is tons of tech, info and help for it online.

EDIT : just thought of something. A few years back I remember reading about a guy who used the EEC IV setup from a late model mustang, and adapted it to a Mopar. A harness from Painless and a used computer, aqnd then have a custom chip burned for it should do thetrick. Just would need to find a throttle body to intake adapter and pick up the injector bungs and rails from Summit or Jegs.
      1965 Buick Skylark

well by budget i mean less than 3 grand. which is doable, I have the ability to move money around, anyways I've since realized i don't need to care about fully sequential injection, and after going through the manual for the e6x, i think that's what i'll go with. I'll have to live without a wideband option

I'm also planning on trading a lot of money for time. ie i'm willing and able to do a lot fo fabrication, so even the intake isnt a concern to me. its the places in the build where i can't compromise without facing a serious consequence, such as the computer

Last edited by dannyho; 06-12-2006 at 02:07 PM. Reason: left this out

probably closer to 2 grand. but why would you respond to a post without reading all of it?

probably closer to 2 grand. but why would you respond to a post without reading all of it?
      Not looking for much help, huh? He said why he responded which made sense. It's easy to skim through a long post and still try to help.

Jody

i had a long day at work, and made that post a bit hastily. but it seems that everytime i ask a question on this forum for every one person who answers knowledgeably there 4 that do the opposite. not wanting to get personal, I know every answer is meant to help. but i wouldnt have mentioned a system if it wasnt within my budget, and just because i'm looking to save money does not mean i'd want to got the cheapest way possible.

i had a long day at work, and made that post a bit hastily. but it seems that everytime i ask a question on this forum for every one person who answers knowledgeably there 4 that do the opposite. not wanting to get personal, I know every answer is meant to help. but i wouldnt have mentioned a system if it wasnt within my budget, and just because i'm looking to save money does not mean i'd want to got the cheapest way possible.
      Gotcha. Edelbrocks system works fine on milder builds but is severely limited on big HP setups; don't think it can even run forced induction, at least the older one couldn't.

Not familiar who offers what for Mopars, but generally the Accel and Holley systems are the best bang for the buck. However, I prefer FAST and Big Stuff 3 as they are more adaptable and better resolution in my opinion. But you've got to figure $4K or so on either as they don't have complete systems, you have to piece them together.

If you do get a system (assuming Holley or Accel has one for Mopars) you'll be replacing the injectors and fuel pump when you go forced induction. I would get ahold of Frank at http://www.gpsuperstore.com to see who has what. He also has very good pricing on several systems.

Jody

I'm actually a bit offended by this, and I normally try to keep some sense of perspective on these boards. I'll try not to respond to any of your future posts so as not to waste your valuable time. Good luck with your project.

I would rethink living without a wide-band. I think you'll find you need one anyway and you can adapt less expensive versions to the Accel Gen 7 and probably to the other systems. I'm running Gen 7 but don't have it completely tuned yet. It has many more tuning parameters than most systems and some folks find this handy and others find it aggravating (too much to deal with). Accel's tech help has been okay, but don't expect to get them on the phone in an instant. From what I've seen, the FAST XFI is a slightly better system for a little less and probably with better tech support. And while you're budgeting, make sure to consider your fuel system and all the necessary fittings etc... It adds up quick.

The Edelbrock system is way too limited for the money it costs and you need to have them burn a chip everytime you make a major mod. Completely contrary to what aftermarket DFI should be all about. The other systems have their markets IMO, including Megasquirt and are priced for roughly what you get.

Hope you find this useful.
      1967 Firebird Convert, Fuel Injected 462 ci, TKO 600
      http://1967firebird.atwebpages.com

Thanks Jody. As Jody says, we can save you some money on a FAST XFI set up. I agree with others, living without wide band, when you can have wide band so easy, would be a bad decision. I have experimented with some less sophisticated systems, thinking I did not need all the bells and whistles. You talk about trading time for dollars, you will do that if you go with a entry level system and go turbos!

well you can adapt a wide band sensor to the haltech too, as it turns out, and haltech is coming out with their own kit, so that leaves it open on a "future upgrade" level. Its not sequential, its semi sequential, but that's ok

Quote Originally Posted by TurboLark
      EDIT : just thought of something. A few years back I remember reading about a guy who used the EEC IV setup from a late model mustang, and adapted it to a Mopar. A harness from Painless and a used computer, aqnd then have a custom chip burned for it should do thetrick. Just would need to find a throttle body to intake adapter and pick up the injector bungs and rails from Summit or Jegs.
      I have done my fair share of research on this set up - the only downside it the fact it is a MAF system... (I dont have good luck with MAF sensors) - the plus ? large aftermarket and no tuning required (MAF does the calculations for you) the negative ? MAF sensors are extremely fragile - and you have to run that god aweful looking intake piping.... unless you went with a MAF sensor that somehow mounts over a universal 4bbl throttle body (my plan) -- I am still figuring all this out - as far as connections go - I have 4 of the factory ford connections which i have no clue what to do with (most likely can simply be omitted) -- but i have yet to find anybody knowledgable enough to answer my questions. long process but when i know i'll post the info about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling_Thunder
      I have done my fair share of research on this set up - the only downside it the fact it is a MAF system... (I dont have good luck with MAF sensors) - the plus ? large aftermarket and no tuning required (MAF does the calculations for you) the negative ? MAF sensors are extremely fragile - and you have to run that god aweful looking intake piping.... unless you went with a MAF sensor that somehow mounts over a universal 4bbl throttle body (my plan) -- I am still figuring all this out - as far as connections go - I have 4 of the factory ford connections which i have no clue what to do with (most likely can simply be omitted) -- but i have yet to find anybody knowledgable enough to answer my questions. long process but when i know i'll post the info about it...
      You still have to tune maf systems; either that or I'm doing something wrong with my Lightning and 05 GTO!

Jody

Check out this system from Promax. I started the post about the Mega Squirt system which this system uses. I'm not well versed in fuel injection and this looked like a nice alternative for us brand X folks.

Here's a link to the flyer.

http://promaxcarbs.bizland.com/EFIflyer.pdf
      Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

Hey guys.
      Regarding the edelbrock system.....
      If I'm only ever going to run a stock ZZ4 will I care about the lack of options in the pro flo?

I've never used them so I can't say for sure, but those throttle bodies look like a nightmare as far as fuel puddling is concerned. At least TBI injects above the throttle plate, so that as the fuel goes aorund the throttle plate the turbulence and shear breaks up the droplets...these look like they'll just form a pool of fuel at the bottom of the plenum. Idle tuning could be difficult

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com