Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Aluminium Lx engines

I am building a roadster and want to use an aluminium Lx engine. The obvious choices are the LS1, LS6, LS2 and the LS7. To save some bucks I will consider some of the less popular and smaller displacement engines, I can always upgrade. The May 2005 Hot Rod Magazine indicates the LM4, 5.3 L and the L33 also 5.3 L are aluminium. I don't think that is correct. Could someone confirm? If the LM4 and L33 are both aluminium what is the difference? Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

Also, how much ground clearance is gained with the Corvette bat wing oil pan over a standard oil pan?

Thanks,
      Steve

the smaller displacemnt engines are much cheaper.
      LM7 - iron 5.3
      LM4 - aluminum 5.3
      L33 - ??

schramautoparts on ebay usually has some good deals on 5.3's
      i just got this aluminum combo for $3k
      i looked @ the DOD 5.3's but could find any info on setting these up as transplants

Country Flag: United States
      LM4 is the fwd version. I am pretty sure I read somewheres that it has a different bellhousing pattern.

I see al 5.7s all over for cheap. Everyone is upgrading to 400+ LS2 based engines. The bucks are in the pulleys brackets mounts etc for the conversion.

Shane, thanks for the info. How was your motor? Any idea where Schram gets these low mileage motors? Any chance they are warranty returns? I saw a 5.3 aluminium engine that would be perfect.

Good luck on your project.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by g-roadster
      Shane, thanks for the info. How was your motor? Any idea where Schram gets these low mileage motors? Any chance they are warranty returns? I saw a 5.3 aluminium engine that would be perfect.

Good luck on your project.

Steve
      motor looks great. received it 4 days after payment. haven't run it yet, need harness & pcm mods.

schram is part of a gm slavage program. vehicles they can't be sold get broken down & sold as parts.

they claim a 6 month warranty, hopefully i want need it.

no one seems to want the 5.3's, so they're quite cheap. from what i've read they can easily produce 350 hp w/ headers & pcm mods.

you can find more info on 5.3's @ www.PerformanceTrucks.net

here's a special on 5.3 ending in may http://www.southernperformancesystem...yspecials.html

I have that combo in my truck and it screams. I continue to be impressed after 3 years with it. Good deal and a great alternative if you want an ls engine.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by shanekennedy

That looks like a pretty sweet deal. Would look good in my 67. I could keep the 327 badging. Hmmm…..
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com