Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

manual or automatic transmission?

I am looking to purchase a PT Camaro. One of the big decisions one must make is whether to go with an automatic or a manual transmission.
      When it comes to a car that I am going to drive strictly for pleasure I have always had cars with a manual transmission. I really enjoy the active role of being involved in shifting the gears manually. Not to mention the sounds that the engine makes running through the gears. I am anxious to hear the other sides opinion as to why so many people build cars with automatic transmissions.

nothin's better than rippin' through all 6 gears and blowin' past mustangs at 150 mph. check out t56kit.com for more information.

It's shake and bake!!! and i helped!
      Drewco Homes

Quote Originally Posted by harshman
      nothin's better than rippin' through all 6 gears and blowin' past mustangs at 150 mph. check out t56kit.com for more information.
      haha...I agree Andy, I think I put your car into 6th @40 MPH just to say I put a 68 Camaro in 6th!! Definitely smooth........
      -Keith

zefhix
      There is nothing more common than unsuccessful men with talent-

:icon996: 6 speed in my opinion is the best way to go.
      Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

where are the automatic guys?

I am looking for the other perspective as well. In my search for a car I am running across (it seems) more autos than manual transmissions.

I'll take a stab

Autos are generally easier to install/swap (especially since the majority of american automobiles are autos, and finding the parts to convert to manual can be expensive and/or annoying), cheaper, easier to live with on day to day basis especially if you live in an area with heavy traffic, can be driven by anyone at any time (whether this is good is itself open to debate!), provide hard launches (through torque multiplication) and consistent shifts going down the track.

Some of those are good reasons, some are poor excuses, and others are almost arguments for the other side. Take it at face value, and please don't blast me, I'm not posting to start an argument. All my cars have been autos, pretty much becuase I can't afford most manual cars as they always seem to draw a premium. And, I'm basically happy with the cars I have now and don't want to start looking for yet another until I finish at least one of em! I'm thinking hard about making one of them a manual, but I haven't decided which. I really need to lay out my plans

My car is being built at a shop as we speak. My first choice would be to go with a six speed for the fun factor but I am going with an auto instead because of the cost. Based on the kits and trannies I have compared and want, the manual will cost me about 5 times more than the auto. I would love to get a 6 speed in the car and I may regret going with the auto. I'm already stretching my budget but that's why I'm going auto. I am however, considering getting myself into some big debt to get the 6 speed.

personally, to me a "toy" car should be a stick. there is nothing better then banging through the gears regardless of what you are driving. especially if your daily is an auto

T56 Kit

not to step on anyones toes but Keisler automotive makes a kit you 4K that has everything but the pedels and handles 650 horse and made to bold right into a first gen. you can see more at www.keislerauto.com
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

$4000 is a lot of money, to me that only proves the "automatics are much more affordable" point. I've never paid that much for an entire car!

Country Flag: Canada
      Thats just too much money for the average guy. I went auto for a few reasons. Money, The amount of horsepower per dollar that the tranny can handle, and ease of finding another if I granade it and not having to pay a premium.

That for 4grand a 4l80 or 4l65 can take that 650horse for fractions of the price. With the left over money go paddle shift!

-Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Country Flag: United States
      I went automatic based on cost. The 2004R I've installed has great gear splits, and is strong enough for the power I'll be putting through it. I know it's not much power, but I tend to drive hard. I'll be installing an external cooler if I wind up heating the trans by manual shifting it constantly in the twisties. It's not just the fun factor to decide on here, but you could be tired after spirited driving or on track running and if you hit traffic, the auto is easier. Then again, I tend to get a little lazy.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com