Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Turbo Engine Question

hey guys, new to the board and loving ever bit of this site. i have two questions. what would be a safe compression ratio to run with twin turbos, and what size turbos would be good for about 700-800hp from a 355. i havnt bought heads yet and my pistons are rated for 10.3:1 with 64cc heads and 9.0:1 with 76cc heads, would it be safe to run at 9.5?

1991 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab. Future Pro-Touring vehicle.
      355 in the process.
      http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/421873

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by BigRedChvy355
      hey guys, new to the board and loving ever bit of this site. i have two questions. what would be a safe compression ratio to run with twin turbos, and what size turbos would be good for about 700-800hp from a 355. i havnt bought heads yet and my pistons are rated for 10.3:1 with 64cc heads and 9.0:1 with 76cc heads, would it be safe to run at 9.5?

No. A centrifugal can run fine with 9 to 9.5:1 compression. A turbo engine likes 8.5 to 8.75:1 compression. It could be run at 9.5:1 but may not meet your power goals because you would not be able to run as much boost..

Jody

9-1 would be fine, it would just limit you to running lower boost. My motor is 9-1 and I am shooting for 850rwhp. As long as you are careful with the tune you can do just fine. I didnt want less than 9-1 because I dont want the sluggish off boost performance I would get with my cam/cylinder head package.
      1965 Buick Skylark

like how low of boost would i have to run at?
      1991 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab. Future Pro-Touring vehicle.
      355 in the process.
      http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/421873

re: boost vs. compression

Although there are many variables, this is a rule of thumb I go by. I think I put this out before but I don't recall where it was at.

Non-intercooled w/ factory timing and 91 oct
      10.5:1 = 4 psig
      9:1 = 6 psig
      8.5 = 8 psig
      8.0 = 10 psig

Intercooled w/factory timing and 91 oct
      *Add 2 psi to each of the above

With either non-intercooled or intercooled, upping the octane will allow you to increase boost or timing. 2 points oct = 1 psi boost or 2 Deg timing above baseline.

Here's the disclaimer: As with any motor, there are limit's before meltdown. Just because you throw a ton of oct. at it, don't think it will survive.

Hope this made sense.
      Ron
      Ron DeRaad
      68 Camaro RSx
      Darton Sleeved LS9 - 434ci (4.155x4.00)
      AFR LSX245 Heads (12:1cr)
      660hp/588tq

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com