Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Auto X last weekend

So I was at an Auto X this past weekend and am looking over my G-tech readouts and lookin over my videos a little. My G-tech shows me pulling .9G lateral and .05 longitudinal. So does that mean I pulled .95Gs total or is the total number different or does it even matter?

The reason I ask is I was running on my Penske Kmart junk tires that were sitting in my garage for 6 years and I was just surprised that they held up that well and that I turned the times I did with them.

Country Flag: United States
      The .5 longitudinal is recorded under acceleration or braking and the .9 lateral during cornering. Two different axis of motion.

The .9 was likely a transient spike. Different from a skid-pad measurement which is a measure of sustained cornering load.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Ok so the sustained cornering Gs are different from what I experienced in Auto X? Correct me if im wrong but also with using the G-tech if I reach a high enough spike in the lateral Gs the car will obviously spin out. With that when it does actually go into a spin that should show me what the peak is that the tires I have can hold at? or does it vary a lot depending on other factors?

Your resultant acceleration at any given instant is the vector sum of the longitudinal and lateral acceleration terms, and is not necessarily in either direction (and generally isn't).

[Resultant Acceleration] = SQRT ( [LAT ACCEL]^2 + [LONG ACCEL]^2 )

If you actually did see 0.9g lateral and 0.5g longitudinal at precisely the same instant, the car was seeing a resultant acceleration of just under 1.03g in a direction about 29* off the purely lateral.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

.901g at 32.5 degrees. it was .05g not .5, unless it was a typo in the original post right?

Make that 0.901g at 3.2* and I think we'll finally all be on the same page.

(I must have not looked far enough up the topic before - 1.03g is rather optomistic performance for the tires as described . . .)

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com