Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

making stainless headers

Anyone got tips on making own headers? Do the tubes all need to be the same length? Welding skills I have no worry about its getting everything lined up and who I can get the flanges from. I have a 67 camaro with a tall deck and currently have the super comp hookers. I am worried about the fitment around the power steering and ground clearance. Super low stance. I would like to make them in stainless but not sure where to get the flanges in stainless??? Any comments or suggestions?
      Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  

http://icengineworks.com/icewmain.htm
      depending on how many you do this could make your life a whole lot easier. they are a header modeling block set i fould advertised in the current issue of Racecar Engineering. they are a company in texas and have a great product on their hand for fabricators, car clubs or rich guys who like to collect cool tools, someone from PHR needs to make this into a product showcase.

Country Flag: United States
      Visit the Stahl and Burns Stainless header web sites. They both offer tons of header theory and write ups on designs and applications.

Check out these guys. They sell flanges and bends in stainless and various other materials.

http://www.spdexhaust.com/

http://www.burnsstainless.com/

Quote Originally Posted by homerneedspeed
      http://icengineworks.com/icewmain.htm
      depending on how many you do this could make your life a whole lot easier. they are a header modeling block set i fould advertised in the current issue of Racecar Engineering. they are a company in texas and have a great product on their hand for fabricators, car clubs or rich guys who like to collect cool tools, someone from PHR needs to make this into a product showcase.
      Thats a neat idea but I do not see the value in $1650 for some fancy delrin legos. To me it seems like something aimed towards the average joe who is not so experienced in tube fitment, and it's way out of the price range for most. Call me crazy, I think it's a great idea, but fundamentally unnecessary for those who would be willing to spend the $$$.

Anyone got tips on making own headers?
      I wrote an article about my experience making a set. You might find some useful pointers here: http://carcraft.com/howto/0304_head/

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Stainless Hedders

One Trick To Reduce Some Warpage Is Run A Thick Mild Steel Flange And Stainless Tubes With The Right Rod I've Found It Reduces Alot Of The Warping At The Head Flange.i Also Like Steel Channel To Bolt To For A Jig When You Weld It .the Channel Holds Everything In-line

Since you already have the Hookers why not just modify the tube and get differnt collectors? Just like anything you get better with practice. Is this a car you want to practice on?

kinda want to do stainless and I guess making a set just to say I made them would be cool

I hope you have a tig and experience with stainless.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Long time and avid tig user and to me stainless is easy compared to exotic metals. Welding isnt the task Im worried about, its the fitment and all the knowledge of equal length, tube diameter for torque etc. Anyone used inconel 625 or titanium for header tubing? Would love to hear any comments. Would love to try either one but so $$.

stainless is easy compared to exotic metals
      I've found that, other than the back-purging requirements, stainless is even easier to weld than mild steel.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Yes it is.......... and Inconel is even easier.

I would really like to use Inconel. Anyone know of prices and availability? I know titanium is really out of my buget but the look would be awesome!!

If you can't afford Titanium, you definetely can't afford Inconel.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Burns has Inconel, they dont write the price in their catalog though.
      I bought a 304 weldup set from stainless works but havent put it together yet.
      Have Fun!
      André

2009 Chrysler 300C Touring.
      3.0 liter V6 diesel, five speed auto, black with light grey leather.
      1968 Chevelle Coupe.
      355cid, Viper T56, Corvette C4 IRS (Dana 44) and Corvette C4 IFS with Porsche 6piston Brembo's.
      1980 Chevy Van (shortie G10).
      355cid, TH350, 8.5" 10bolt posi and Belltech spindles.
      2000 BMW 540i Wagon. (FOR SALE €7K)
      4.4 liter V8, six speed manual, lowered and with Bilstein B8's, silver with black leather.
      2001 Ford Focus Wagon.
      1.8 liter turbo diesel, and a whoppin 90HP.:bsjerk:
      1968 Benelli Motorella
      foldable 50c scooter to go in a car trunk.
      2x '90s Yamaha TZR 2stroke bikes.
      one 125cc one cylinder and one will be 350cc two cylinder.

SPD or BURNS has every thing you need. SPD cnc cuts their flanges so they are flat to start with. A piece of channel works for a welding fixture . If you fit the tube tight in the flange you can fuse the inside. You can silicone bronze the outside of the flange then your not killing it with heat . Kits are nice but you'll probaly need some extra pieces .

SPD is GREAT, just got some collectors in for the new project. Their quality, craftsmanship, and speed of delivery is amazing.

and just to give you a perspective of size. Just wait till there is a T6 flange on the end of that

For exhaust components, give us a call at 800-878-3635. We will beat Burns or SPD in prices, and we stock u bends, j's, 45's and 90's as well as formed collectors, merge collectors, and we laser cut in house-we stock 4-5 diferent styles of small block chevy flanges-d port, full round, tall oval, square, etc.

Thanks
      Al
      Stainless Works
      800-878-3635
      www.stainlessworks.net

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com