Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Axle bearing seal went bad

Recently I changed the brake shoes and found the drum on one side was full of grease. Oil is slowly leaking past the seal too. When I turn the axle by hand it vibrates and makes a very audible noise from the wheel bearing area.

My car is a daily driver and I don't know how long it has been like this. What type of damage am I possibly looking at?

The car is a 68 camaro with the stock rear end.

Thanks

You've had a wheel bearing failure, which if you've driven it that way for a while has more than likely has galled the bearing surface of your axle. It's possible that the bearing surface is ok, it just depends how long you've driven it that way.

If the bearing surface on the axle is ok, then just R&R the bearing and seal.

If the axle bearing surface is gallled you have a couple choices: (1) replace the bearing, seal and axle; (2) replace the bearing, seal, and have the axle bearing surface sleeved and utilize an over-size bearing. For a permanent solution go with #1, axle bearing sleeves are a cheaper but not the best choice.

Country Flag: United States
      There is a special bearing that is offset outboard and runs on an un-worn section of the axle, the only problem is, the seal is tiny on that bearing, and it allways leaks.

I'd get some new aftermarket axles, they will be twice as strong as stock which isn't bad, and they come with new bearings and seals. You'll probably need to buy new wheel studs.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com