Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ls1 oil consumption problem

i've had a 01 camaro SS for 5 years now and starting to add a quart a week and smokes during start up and under hard acceleration. Its my daily driver with 60,000 miles now. I think it might have worn piston rings and should go with high mileage oil, i currently use 5w30 synthetic. When do you guys go a thicker viscosity.

Country Flag: United States
      Take your throttle body off and look inside the intake with a flashlight. If it is caked with oil, its most likely your PCV system sucking in the oil. Probably need to add an oil catch-can to reduce consumption.

Other culprits are worn valve seals, or like you said - worn piston rings.

Tony
      Co-Founder, LS1TECH.com

Forged Wheel Dealer, Contact me for a quote!
      www.DV8Motoring.com

jump up to 10w40 and see if the problem continues to be as bad. 10w40 will work fine in the car.

also do as Tony suggests. some oil usage is pretty much normal on an LS engine. however to me on a stock NA motor thats not beat on constantly one quart between changes would bother me. especially with only 60k miles
      Trey

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
      ~ Jon Hammond

1979 WS6 Trans Am stock LT1/T56 drive train out of my Formula. BMW M-parallel rims. C5/C6 brakes

build thread https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=begins

Root cause: the brainiacs at GM didn't put any oil drainback holes it the oil ring groove on the piston. They had cast in tiny notches at the sides of the piston that are covered up by the oil ring rails when they're in the bore. I've enlarged these grooves with a dremel and greatly reduced oil consuption. And then GM put the Napier 2nd rings in the LS6 still with no oil drainback for the oil ring......And cast pistons on Ti rods in the LS7.....
      Jeff Schwartz 815-770-0751
      SchwartzPerformance
      Where classic style meets modern performance.
      455 Commanche Circle
      Harvard IL 60033
      SchwartzPerformance.com | Facebook | Twitter

Jeff, I respect your work and really like what you have done with all your cars, especially you’re Ultima. But when you say “brainiacs at GM didn't put any oil drainback holes it the oil ring groove on the piston. They had cast in tiny notches at the sides of the piston that are covered up by the oil ring rails when they're in the bore” it makes me think. Do those hole not do anything, or do those holes not do enough at the power levels your at? My ls1 dynoed 350 at the wheels with full length headers but otherwise stock, so about 400 at the flywheel, and my engine has yet to consume a drop of oil (well nothing I can measure). So what’s the deal, can you show me where you too material out of the piston?
      Stuart Seitz

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Start up and on accel sounds like valve stem seals to me?

sorry for the highjack but since you guys are here together...
      What aftermarket pistons are recommended for 450-500hp with future SC instal?

MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

What heads are you gonna use? If it was my money, I'd call mahle, http://www.us.mahle.com/
      Stuart Seitz

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com