Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Hook a Brother Up!!

I need header help. I must buy new headers this week in preparation for Power Tour.

If you have a gen 1 small block first gen Camaro with Hedman 66003 headers, please reply with a good side view shot of the header collector region relative to the frame rail. Also measure how far the collectors hang below the frame rail at their lowet point and describe your measuring point so that I can duplicate the measurement here for comparison. I'm sure this is a common concern on our lowered vehicles, so I will compile your response and others in the exhaust section for future reference.

I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Steve hit up Rick Dorian I think he has a set of those, and I sold him a new set if I remember correctly,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Thanks. I'll try to get him into the thread so others can see as well.

Steve,

Check your email.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Got it. Thanks.

I'll shoot some pics, Steve. One comment - these will apply to older design 65003's. You can ID them but the square port. I returned a newer set that was necked down to fit what I was told (by Hedman)are a shared 1 5/8" flange. The port is oval and a poor fit. Wouldn't fit without serious pipe denting. Can't comment on the rest of the fit/alignment! Stay tuned. My current set are painted and I've had them for 7 years and love them. I bought Steve's because they're ceramic coated.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Yeah, that's a big part of the problem. I have large 1.5 x1.45 square ports and I NEED a 29-30" long by 1-3/4 primary. There are plenty of 1-5/8" headers around. But all of the 1-3/4 stuff is geared towards drag racers.

I'll post a pic from Carl Casanova's Hookers. Maybe we can all take pix in the same manner.

Did that come out wrong?

I think the ones I sold Rick are bigger than 1 5/8, I want to say there 1-3/4, maybe he can gice you some measurements,
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      Yeah, that's a big part of the problem. I have large 1.5 x1.45 square ports and I NEED a 29-30" long by 1-3/4 primary. There are plenty of 1-5/8" headers around. But all of the 1-3/4 stuff is geared towards drag racers.

I'll post a pic from Carl Casanova's Hookers. Maybe we can all take pix in the same manner.

Did that come out wrong?
      Get some QTP headers. 1 7/8" primaries.

-Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

According to my homework, 66003's are 1-3/4" primary. 1-5/8" headers aren't bad, but they do limit peak rpm on most applications other than the typical hydraulic flat tappet cam. No sense running out of steam if building a 150mph car.
      /Steve

The 1 5/8 would not cover your ports. My protoplines are 1.45 square and needed the 1 3/4 pipes. Unless Hedman has changed their production method, the new 65003's, by using the flange for a 1 5/8" pipe, negated their usefulness.
      68 camaro - SOLD

The the Halls commerical "Breathe, Breathe is good" and so is getting rid of hi flowing exhaust

This isn't the best pic, but it'll give you an idea. I can get better pics but I'll have to get with the owner. They do fit nice only one tube near the steering box. FRANK EDITED TO FIX THE PIC BUT YOU CAN'T SEE IT TO GOOD SMALLER SIZED!

Thanks to Carl Casanova. Pic is from his awesome 68 RS. Quite possibly the world's most sorted out honest to goodness pro-touring car. Headers are Hooker 2131 in conjunction with stock height subframe bushings. Measurements are as follows:

1) Distance from bottom of frame rail to bottom of collector flange: 1-7/8"
      2) Distance from floorboard to bottom of collector flange: 5-3/8"
      3) Distance from aft subframe vertical edge to collector flange: 19"

Quote Originally Posted by HILROD
      This isn't the best pic, but it'll give you an idea. I can get better pics but I'll have to get with the owner. They do fit nice only one tube near the steering box. FRANK EDITED TO FIX THE PIC BUT YOU CAN'T SEE IT TO GOOD SMALLER SIZED!
      Yeah, it's tough to see. From what I can tell they don't hang below the subframe at all. What headers are those?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dorion
      The 1 5/8 would not cover your ports. My protoplines are 1.45 square and needed the 1 3/4 pipes. Unless Hedman has changed their production method, the new 65003's, by using the flange for a 1 5/8" pipe, negated their usefulness.

That kills it for the 65003's It's looking like Hooker 2131's so far. I'll give Al Noe at Stainless Works a call and try to get him to post.

Matt,
      I checked out QTP. Looks like it's all LSx stuff. Nice pipes though.

I'll hold off on pics then(?)
      68 camaro - SOLD

Sure. But then again, the pix might help others who are faced with the same questions.

Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      Sure. But then again, the pix might help others who are faced with the same questions.
      I'm sure Carl mentioned in his PM, but he has modified his 2131's. I'll post some pictures of my stock 2131's as soon as I can get the car back on the lift. The collector flange points straight down on the driver's side and if you have raised port heads, they're probably going to hit the pitman arm too. Also, even the 2131's are going to be a tight fit on your ports as they only measure approx. 1.5" OD width at the flange.

These might work for your application: http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/p...roducts_id=830 1 3/4" primaries and they offer 1 7/8" stuff as well.

I've got a set of SW 1 3/4" primary headers for my 4th gen, top quality stuff to say the least.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com