Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Who has Stainless Headers?

I am planning to install Stainless Steel headers on a Nova that a friend of mine owns. The car is more of a show car than a driver and I am trying to find out the difference between the polished and non-polished stainless headers? He likes the look of the plain stainless, but he wants to know if the heat marks from the welding is still there on the unpolished. And if you have the polished headers, do you need to maintain the polish, to keep the heat discoloration to a minimum?

Any photos, experience, and/or suggestions would be helpful.

He is going to Stainless since he has had apperance problems with several sets of coated headers.

Thanks.
      R.J.

Keep in mind that polished stainless headers get yellow in the bends (like chrome headers turn blue). The high end hot rods use stainless and they get discolored. When it comes to looks - HPC or an equal is the best as far as after use appearence goes. I don't know how to link it but the NOV8TR white '69 camaro with the orange stripes on Year One's website has an uncoated stainless header and chambered muffler exhaust that you can look at. That system was made by Stainless Works - I think it's on their site also. Jack

Country Flag: United States
      Yeah, Stainless Works.

I also just saw in the latest Hot Rod, that Hooker will be making stainless headers.

Country Flag: United States
      If he hasn't purchased the headers yet I would recommend going plain 'ole steel and having them JetHot coated... What problems did he have with his other coated sets and what brand of coating was it? My JetHot coating looks great, hasn't yellowed or discolored and actually keeps the engine bay cooler by retaining the heat inside the headers. I've had this coated set on my truck for three years now and they still look brand new...
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Country Flag: Canada
      Steel isn't bad, forced induction+steel headers...Its just a waiting game till they crack. Go stainless and do it right the first time.

-Matt

Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com