Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69' Camaro, Nova 10 bolt rear drive shaft cutting

Hello!

I read some articles about this swap. It was not sure, if the drive shaft has to be cut.
      Since my measurements this afternoon I think it's necessary. The housing of the Nova 10 bolt is 15 mm longer and the rear end pinion flange is 10 mm longer=> So I have to shorten the drive shaft approx. 25mm ~1". Is there anybody with the same experience?
      I think with this dimension I get 1" travel for the drive shaft between tranny and rear end => Is this ok or too much? (I think this was the dimension before. I was able to pull out the shaft by loosening the pinion shaft U-bolts)

Thanks for any help!

Night Rider => My car
      69'Camaro
      92'Corvette LT1 engine, 4L60, shorty headers, Flowmaster, Eibach, Vette wheels=> soon coming:hotchkis leaf springs nova rear w limited slip, Corvette brakes

What year Nova did that come out of? The 68-74 housings are a direct bolt-in, with the 71-74 housings being of the 8.5" variety.

Also- what trans & axle combo did you have, or currently have?

Country Flag: United States
      They are dimentualy the same but may have different pinion yokes. Try the shaft to see how much room you have. Most of the time the shaft will come out pretty far. It may work. Or you can cut a 1/2" 12mm-13mm off of the output yoke.
      I was able to pull out the shaft by loosening the pinion shaft U-bolts
      can you elaborate?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Hello!

My current setup is a LT1 with 4L60 => So the drive shaft is shorter. I had to cut it for the last changes.

But with the hotchkis leaf springs in place and the 73' Nova rear (If I have the right decoding) there's no room for the drive shaft to move.

But it's not very surprising, because the yoke is longer and the housing of the axle in comparison to the stock 8,2".
      Night Rider => My car
      69'Camaro
      92'Corvette LT1 engine, 4L60, shorty headers, Flowmaster, Eibach, Vette wheels=> soon coming:hotchkis leaf springs nova rear w limited slip, Corvette brakes

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com