Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Clutch linkage issue

I'm mocking up the clutch linkage and am having issues with getting the z-bar (I think that's what people call it) in place. The 502 motor I'm using isn't tapped for the pivot ball stud, so I'm using a bracket I found from Scoggins-D i c k y. I'm using a Lakewood bellhousing though, and so I'm having to modify the bellhousing to fit the bracket. The bracket makes the z-bar outbound about 1/2" from the motor, so it won't line up with the frame bracket. I could put a spacer on the frame bracket, but I was wondering what the tapped holes on the side of the Lakewood bellhousing are for. They are too far rearward for the pivot ball stud, but do they make a bracket that fits there for this purpose? I can't find anything on the Lakewood/Mr. Gasket site.
      Thx,

Attached Images Attached Images  

Tap the boss

I had the exact same situation as you. A 502 without a tapped pivot ball boss. I also bought the same bracket as you, had it powder coated, and now it hangs from my workbench peg board.

The best solution is to go ahead and drill and tap the boss. I know this may make you nervous because it did me, but there is plenty of material in the boss to allow for the drill and tap. Go buy a brand new drill and tap for this to ensure its done right. Then everything will line up and the Z-bar will work the way its supposed to.

Mike

One thing I found out yesterday is that my z-bar shaft is 9 1/2" long, and that there is one that's 9" long. That will get me closer, but I'm thinking of shimming the bracket on the frame. Strange thing is they said the 9 1/2" bracket was for the big block, and 9" was for the small block... I don't get this at all. The big block should be physically larger, and put the ball shaft closer to the frame, needing a smaller z-bar... right??

Z-Bar

I guess you could try the shorter bar. I'm sure the longer bar assumes that the pivot ball is attached directly into the block and not on a bracket. I never could get my bracket to line up in the exact same place as the boss on the block, so I drilled and tapped it and it works fine.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com