Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
      Country Flag: United States
      That is exactly why I picked an FIA certified fuel cell. They can't complain about it then and I feel comfortable knowing it was designed for the rigors of motorsports and won't be likely to cause my demise. I think some tech guys just pass the "homemade" metal tanks because it looks more solid than the thin plastic ebay stuff. It requires no testing to be sold online to anyone with a credit card.
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

I have the blueprint and plans from ATL when I had the fuel cell for my 67 made. It fit's perfect in a 1st gen Camaro without getting in the way. I'd sell if anyones interested. Cost was $2500+ New from ATL.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ear-Suspension

69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

This thread is years old but here goes. Has anything changed in fuel cells & tanks? Looking at options for my 69 Camaro, which should be a pretty rowdy ride when its finished. I have an art morrison 3 link with a full floater ford 9" in the back. Stock sub with chassisworks components in the front. A 6.0 N/A LS engine stroked to 408ci with some AFR heads that have been worked over extensively by Tony Mamo. This is a carb'd motor that Tony estimated around 600-700hp. My hopes are to take it to the track for fun and a little mischief on the streets. Road race or auto cross style not drag racing. I doubt ill be racing wheel to wheel on the track with other cars.

One option is the Fuel Safe Sportsman series. Prices start at about $1000 and go up with options. The priciest option is the collector/surge tank. Check balls. Trap doors and different size pumps. I like the idea of preventing fuel starvation but not sure which is right for me. Of course they are race certified for safety. They have a 5 year warranty, so does that mean after 5 years they are no longer compliant with racing bodies?

Another option would be Ricks tanks. They seem to be an easy replacement, no cutting the trunk floor. You can get in tank pump assemblies. They are baffled too for sloshing. This isnt necessarily a cheaper option. Probably same as the Fuel Safe. Unless you factor in the installation cost of the fab work to install the fuel cell. However I was going to replace the trunk if I use a stock like tank but with a fuel cell I can just cut out the bad part of trunk which is right in the center and not have to do a full trunk replacement.

Would a fuel cell be overkill for me? Ive seen some other options out there. Fuel Safe makes foam blocks you can stuff into your tank to deal with sloshing. Theres Holley's hydramat which you can fold and stuff into your tank as well to deal with fuel starvation. I dont know how well these things work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Think carefully about what you plan to do with the car. Do you need FIA cert on the fuel cell? they expire every 5 years. You probably don't need it for track days and autocross. competitive racing is a different story. The bladder on mine was expired before I finished the car. It's still in use with no issue but it does have a finite life and I wish I had something that didn't require frequent replacement. Fuel safe now offers their enduro bladder that is supposed to last forever, although it will still have the issue with the expiring certification. My setup also has the internal box with trap doors and the rest of the fuel cell is foam filled, and I still have had occasional issues with fuel starvation. a surge tank is a better way to solve fuel starvation. Radium has a really cool in tank surge tank. its spendy, but I hear it works well. combine that with a hydramat, and you should have a pretty solid system. I think radium even makes a complete fuel cell with all these pieces.

You can save a good chunk of money if you are willing to put a more generic fuel cell in your car, but they can be ugly. but it sounds like that the route you may go with your trunk replacement anyway. you could also get a fuel cell with the hard plastic liner that would last a lot longer (if I remember right ATL is a common brand that makes these.)

The price seems to go through the roof with the model specific fuel cells. and in my case (with the 70 mustang) the shape of the fuel cell is very conducive to fuel starvation.

The ricks tank coupled with an external surge tank might be a good option for you if you don't need certification.

My advice would be to steer clear of the FIA certified fuel cells unless you absolutely need one and are willing to pay the ongoing cost of keeping them up to date. When it comes time to replace the bladder in mine, I think i will be replacing the whole cell with a better solution.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com