Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Fuel Cell Super Thread

well its time to get a gas tank for the car. my choices are stock replacement every thing or i could go the fuel cell rought. has any one done a NASCAR style fuel set up on this board and had it fill from the stock location? would it really be worth it to do a cell if i dont really need it? or should i just get it over with using a stock replacment system? also whats a good fuel line to use can i use all flexable lines?

What are you going to be using the car for? If you'll be cornering/launching hard, a fuel cell that's properly baffled will help big time in controlling fuel slosh. Fuel slosh is bad for two reasons:

-Unexpected, sudden change in weight bias

-Can possibly uncover the fuel pick-up and, if bad enough, will lean the motor out and probably make it stumble or die. (maybe even hole a piston if it's a rowdy enough motor)

A properly designed and built fuel cell will also be safer in a crash, especially when surrounded by a frame like in your NASCAR reference.

Your stock tank will be fine if you're just cruising the streets, and can be made marginally better by adding a sump.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

dennis68 Guest
      Fuelsafe!!! Pretty big money but it is the only way to ensure no matter what you do with the car the fuel system will pass tech. HTH put a cell in a 68 Camaro and had the fill go to the stock location, looked good.

JAZ cells

i was actualy looking at a cell made by JAZ it is encased in metal much like a fuel safe cell. does any body know any thing about these cells? they are a good deal cheeper

dennis68 Guest
      Much cheaper but won't get signed off in most venues.

Sumped tank? Fuel cell? What do you guys run?

The original tank in my LeMans is leaking, so it's time to replace it. This is mainly a street car, but I hope to do some recreational road racing and drag racing, too, so I'm wondering what I should do. Sumped tank? Fuel cell?

In case it matters, I'm running a Mallory 140 pump. Thanks for the help.
      '72 Pontiac LeMans
      468cid Pontiac stroker by SD Performance
      Tremec TKO II 5spd
      ---------------------------
      '96 Corvette Grand Sport (#470 out of 1000 produced)
      LT4 w/ couple of breathing mods, 6spd
      http://home.comcast.net/~gs470/Bothcars21_sig.jpg
      http://home.comcast.net/~gs470/Bothcars26_sig.jpg

Country Flag: United States
      Personally I'm a big fan of saving trunk space...so I vote for a sumped tank...perhaps one built by Matt or jp??
      Tony

Thanks for the response, Anthony. I don't want to lose my trunk, either, so a trunk-mounted cell wasn't likely to happen, but I was curious to see what recommendations I'd get and what people are using.

I don't know the forum members very well here, so I don't know who Matt or jp are. Are there websites or e-mail addresses I can use to contact them?

I'm not at this point yet but I'm leaning toward a fuel cell for safety reasons. It would seem to me that a sumped tank might be vulnerable(?)
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

What about a custom made tank that looks close to stock in shape, has extra baffles near the pick-up area and have the fuel line exit the front of the tank? You could have the fuel line actual extend into that tank some, to get fuel towards the rear of the tank, and have baffles to try to keep fuel near this location. I'm just not a fan of those low rear sumps, with the lines and fitting all exposed. For looks reasons and I don't think they're a very good ideal for safety. If you get rear ended, breaking one of those fittings would be quite easy.

I picked up a new tank off e-bay and plan on adding a sump of my own design. I should be into this tank for less than $90 not including my labor. If you have the bucks, by all means go with a custom SS tank but the cost is north of $1000! A little too rich for my blood. If you are adding EFI the custom tank starts looking better as you can have an in tank pump. Just my $.02 worth.
      Dan

Forget about the lost trunk space with a trunk mounted cell....
      What about the raised CG? A full fuel tank has alot of weight...
      Jeff,
      1974 Formula 400
      1976 Trans Am SR71 Blackbird
      2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

gs470,

I'm going to be running a sumped/baffled fuel tank built by Matt.
      www.rfrcustomfab.com is Matt's site.

Woah! A custom tank with all the bells and whistles would be a great solution, but I'm with sanddan, $1000+ is a little steep for me.

While I also have some concerns with the weld on sump kits, too, but I think it might be the best solution for me right now. I mocked one up out of cardboard and it really doesn't hang down as far as I thought it would originally and I should be able to tuck the fuel line out of the way fairly well. I can always sell the sumped tank for a few bucks if I decide to upgrade to a custom tank some time down the road.

Thanks for feedback!

Go with what works now, change later.

You probably should do the sumped tank for now and then think about dropping an ATL or Fuel Safe cell into the trunk if you plan on increasing your track time. I built a metal box that is welded to the trunk floor and allows my aluminum cell to hang about 8"+ below the trunk bottom, only sticking up 3" into the trunk. I lost some space in the trunk but have a 20-gallon baffled and foam-filled cell enclosed in a metal box for a bit more safety. If the car was more of a race car and less street I would go with ATL, Fuel Safe, or someone like that for safety reasons (I like the idea of a rubber bladder in a steel container).
      Jeff
      1971 RS Camaro: PAINKILLER

Woops sorry for the delay, I've been camped out in the GP forum again!!

Matt = http://www.rfrcustomfab.com/

jp (John Parsons) = http://www.iimuchfabrication.com/

Both are more than capable of building you what you are looking for...

OH YEAH...THATS 1000 POSTS FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Tony

fuel cell

its getting close to time to be looking around for a fuel cell, the car will be about 98% street car with some autocross and drag racing. but since i do plan on racing it am i going to need a fuel cell with baffels in it to keep the fuel near the pick up ? i haven't really found much on this subject so if anyone has any info on this thanks in advance.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

look up Fuel Safe.

The alternative is to keep your tank and add a "make up tank". pump fuel to this tank and add a small return line from the top of the make up tank back to the fuel tank.

The make up tank will allways be full and you can pump from that to the engine.
      David
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

thats a great idea, how big of tank are we talking? something like 6x6x6?
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com