Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Garage fire extinguisher

What type of fire extinguisher is everyone hanging in their garage?

My garage is almost complete and I plan to hang one in every corner.

Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

I have 5lb first alert extinguishers from Costco. Fire marshal requires a new one every year at my wife's bridal store so I just get the one she replaces with the new one.

I keep 10# ABC in two locations.
      https://amerexfireextinguishers.com/...nt=29047979665
      Make sure a couple times a year you flip them over, tap the bottom and feel the powder move to the other end.
      If you don't feel the powder move it needs to be serviced.

https://amerexfireextinguishers.com/...nt=29047979665

Make sure you get ones with aluminum heads so they can be serviced. The plastic headed ones are throw away.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Never had a any kind of fire in the shop. My "normal" work bench is about 20 feet from my welding table. No gas of any kind in my work shop. All gas is in my cold storage building.
      I have 10 lb on the wall. Never had to use it. Also have a old school packing blanket hanging on the wall in case I need to smother something.
      I carry a small 5 lb in my hot rod bag that goes into the trunk. Again thank goodness I've never had to use it.

2 10BC were required for my large shop, but I got 2 20BC's on advice of my fire marshall. I'd get two of them and one more 5BC.
      If you have a small fire, grab the 5BC and blast it. It'll only last for about 10 seconds so if that doesn't do it, grab the big boy and go again. Those small extinguishers are not going to do much at all if it's a very big fire.

The 20's are kinda heavy so you could get more of the 10BC instead. Metal heads or you can't refill/service them. and if you get them with a Hose nozzle, they have a higher rating. For your garage, I'd at least have two 10BC
      Mount them on the wall near a door so they can be seen. My Marshall said if it's by the door you now have access to an extinguisher and you have access to an exit. Both are safety. If you have to run to an extinguisher that is in a back corner or closet, then you are going to an unsafe place during a fire and could get trapped or overcome with fumes. You can also buy a fire extinguisher that mounts above your car with heat triggered head. I have smoke detectors that can be sensed by my Video Cameras. If there's a fire, the cameras will notify me.

As mentioned above, remove any flammable materials from the area. Don't store fuel cans near the work area. I put fuel jugs in an outside shed. 5/8" sheetrock will better protect the walls from fire.
      When it comes to safety, have plenty of extinguishers, eye protection, gloves, welding jacket, ear defenders, Jackstands, etc around so you are not ever tempted to go without them.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 02-21-2023 at 03:32 PM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      2 10BC were required for my large shop, but I got 2 20BC's on advice of my fire marshall. I'd get two of them and one more 5BC.
      If you have a small fire, grab the 5BC and blast it. It'll only last for about 10 seconds so if that doesn't do it, grab the big boy and go again. Those small extinguishers are not going to do much at all if it's a very big fire.

The 20's are kinda heavy so you could get more of the 10BC instead. Metal heads or you can't refill/service them. and if you get them with a Hose nozzle, they have a higher rating. For your garage, I'd at least have two 10BC
      Mount them on the wall near a door so they can be seen. My Marshall said if it's by the door you now have access to an extinguisher and you have access to an exit. Both are safety. If you have to run to an extinguisher that is in a back corner or closet, then you are going to an unsafe place during a fire and could get trapped or overcome with fumes. You can also buy a fire extinguisher that mounts above your car with heat triggered head. I have smoke detectors that can be sensed by my Video Cameras. If there's a fire, the cameras will notify me.

As mentioned above, remove any flammable materials from the area. Don't store fuel cans near the work area. I put fuel jugs in an outside shed. 5/8" sheetrock will better protect the walls from fire.
      When it comes to safety, have plenty of extinguishers, eye protection, gloves, welding jacket, ear defenders, Jackstands, etc around so you are not ever tempted to go without them.
      Wise words! I do plan to side something to mount over the lift.
      Larry Callahan

Garage fire extinguisher

Depending on your location/time of year, a water can isn’t a bad idea either. They can hold around a couple gallons of water and then mix in a bit of dish soap. They will go quite a long way in putting out class A fires. I’ve been a firefighter for years and grab them regularly for simple fires. Then once you use them, just refill with soap/water and charge with air and it’s back in service. It’s not something that will get you passed a building inspection, but is a good thing to have around. Thanks for bringing up the topic!
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Another good idea. I do want to have something that won't make a big mess if it's not a crazy fire.

Something like a stage 1 fire putter outer. LOL!
      Larry Callahan

Larry Callahan

Larry, I've seen those stainless water type at the racetracks. I think they can refill them at the track so less costly in the long run.

Garage fire extinguisher

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Callahan View Post
      Yes, exactly. I can check the brands of the ones I have on the fire trucks tomorrow. They are great and very simple to fill. They just have a Schrader valve just like a car tire once they are filled and ready to be charged with compressed air.

Also, if it would be prone to freezing conditions you can add in a few ounces of marine antifreeze and out would be fine.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I would not have a garage fire extinquisher that wasn't effective on gas and oil fires.

This is the can we have on our trucks. There are also additives such as F-500 and F.R.E.D fire that are intended to be used with water cans to have them be effective on class B fires. Of course the ABC ones already mentioned would be cheaper and also effective. This is just another option.

https://www.amazon.com/Amerex-Gallon...d-5992ecbdb227
      Steve

Dave

1972 Nova
      1967 RS/SS Camaro - current project

Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      I would not have a garage fire extinquisher that wasn't effective on gas and oil fires.
      Good Point, the water extinguishers are not rated for Gas or Oil. Probably not Electrical either.

Quote Originally Posted by daredvl22 View Post
      Very interesting. I viewed a youtube video that showed it not working very well in windy conditions.

Definitely on the small side, but it is better than nothing.Name:  FEX.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  283.6 KB
      1969 Camaro
      1957 Chevy 150 Utility Sedan
      2016 MB AMG-s wagon

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com