Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      What do pickup truck manufactures do to prevent cargo from ripping into the passenger compartment. I have had way more then 150lbs worth of stuff in the back of my silverado.

Is there a special structure to the design of a trucks sheetmetal that could be replicated while building a firewall to prevent this issue?

I know that there are 10's of millions of pickups out there, so I am going to ASSume that the manufactures have figured something out, but then again I have been wrong before.

Pick-up trucks don't come factory equipped with all the junk people haul around. You are responsible for making sure the stuff in the back is properly secured and won't become a projectile in the event of an accident (in fact you will be responsible for any damage due to improperly secured cargo).

Country Flag: United States
      What is the point of a fuel cell? It's safer than a standard tank. People install them to make their car safer (there are people that put them in for style, but they're dorks) It's stupid to argue about this. If you have the opportunity to make something safer there is little reason not to do it and it's bloody irresponsible to advise someone against doing it.

Integrating the support structure of the cell into the chassis of the car makes the system safer. No reason not to do it.

Unless you want to be less safe, but I don't think Scogin is looking to be less safe or he wouldn't be installing a cell.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

I could have sworn I posted in this thread.. am I loosing my mind??
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Impact protection, from hitting something and being hit, is the primary function. The stock tank straps are sufficient for anything that tire traction can throw at it.

A friend of mine has a Fuelsafe tank that was custom made to fit into the stock location, has a stock shape (tapered rearward), and has internal baffling and pump. The shell is aluminum with a nicely manufactured bladder. The tank is filled through an access door in the trunk, hence the stock filler neck is not used. The filler neck is the weak link in 67-8 F-body tank, though I have not heard of many burned cars.

Around $1400.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2
      I could have sworn I posted in this thread.. am I loosing my mind??

I think you'd chimed in on Harshman's fuel cell thread.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

does anyone have a pic of Big Red's tank?
      It's shake and bake!!! and i helped!
      Drewco Homes

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Dorion
      And then there's the stock tanks which, to me, are a 'pinto problem'. I'd like to add a cell for safety reasons. Has anyone added protective bars around a stock tank to make it more crash resistant? Don't mean to take this thread in a different direction but am interested in gas tank safety.
      Woops sorry Rick I misread the "around stock tank" part. I have a fuel cell.
      I am about to do this to my car using 1 5/8" tube like roll bar material. My rear bumpers will be tied together to an entire structure I am going to build to protect the fuel cell and the rear of the car in an accident. Since we all know the rear of these cars are terrible in rear end collisions. Virtually no strenght at all back there.
      Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

Fuel Cells plumbing and accessories

OK guys some input here please. Since the TA is getting switched from a drag car to more cornering teh 79 Camaro is getting switched to a drag car with a rool bar so we can go faster and not be in triuble and be safer. After spinning one night hard with a 1.5 60 ft car you really need a rool bar!

Since sumping a new tank is as much or more than a fuel cell I bought a 10 gallon aluminum one from Summit(good clearance sale now!) to put in the trunk. I want to add a fuel level sensor, but will have to pull the foam to drill it. I assume not a big deal.

I HATE gas smell in the car, plus the safety issues but figure the cell in the trunk is the easiest. Elevate it so even the sump is in the trunk-otherwise there has to be suppoer underneath it per NHRA. So wil run the fule lines throught the trunk.

I have seen vents with coiled hard line, coiled SS braid, or just the roll over vent fitting on them. I would guess venting it out the trunk. Iknow my circle track buddies even put a filter on it so trash, wasp nests can't get in the vent.

What is the best fill cap? Curently it has a plastic lever type. Switch to a metal lever type, screw type. 45 degree fill neck?

Any thoughts or pictures?

Surely some of you have fuel cell pictures.

Skip -
      It's a matter of choice. RCI, Fuel Safe, Summit all make remote filler necks, etc. The one thing you have to remember about having a cell in the trunk (and this also addresses your smell issue) is that NHRA rules require you to have the trunk sealed off from the passenger compartment. You do this by welding in sheet steel or aluminum behind the rear seat. This needs to be sealed all the way around.
      Anyway, just some thoughts.
      Project "Freebird"

After the roll bar goes in it'll be sealed. just want some opinion of pros and cons of various fillers and vents people have found.

Lets see pics of fuel cells in the OEm location

Self explanatory,I am not interested in a fuel cell in the trunk.

john

That is exactly what I want to do. Where can you buy a fuel call like that?

Jeff
      JEFF SHORTT
      -IDEAL STEEL

Quote Originally Posted by GBodyGMachine
      That is exactly what I want to do. Where can you buy a fuel call like that?

Jeff
      ATL and Fuel Safe.

Country Flag: Netherlands
      I took off almost all the red paint (still have to do 1 side) because I'm going to have it powdercaoted. It's a 32gal ATL cell.

This is how I did mine.

Randy
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Please see my PT Garage for more info on ProBell Camaro. 67 style,99 comfort, options and drive-ability with NASCAR Late Model suspension front and rear.https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vb...?do=view&g=106
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Car Domain PG
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565383

From yalls experience, what is the best size to use and fits the location?

Jared

I took a 20-gallon RCI aluminum fuel cell and dropped it through the trunk. The fuel cell containment box sticks up into the trunk anout 3 inches at the most, and below the trunk a few inches more than the stock tank did. I am going to cover it with an aluminum lid. Will still be able to fill through the license plate fill location.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]/7
      http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]/0
      http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]/1
      http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]/5
      http://new.photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]/2

Jeff
      1971 RS Camaro: PAINKILLER

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com