Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      Fuel cell is in, still have to put some sheetmetal around it to close in the gaps.
      What about the vent line? I thought about putting a loop in the line and running it out of the trunk lock hole since I have pins now.
      Opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by ho428
      Fuel cell is in, still have to put some sheetmetal around it to close in the gaps.
      What about the vent line? I thought about putting a loop in the line and running it out of the trunk lock hole since I have pins now.
      Opinion?
      Looks good, dont forget to put a check-valve in your vent line in case of rollover.

-Ed Nelson

1967 Firebird.......
      1970 Corvette. -Sold

Country Flag: United States
      I am running the same cell as you by the looks of it. I will tell you about a few of the problems I had. My first breather ran to the back went up high and then down out the floor. The fule would still splash out at the track and I was black flagged a few times. The way it is now works well but I want to do some thing better with the filter hanging of the back of the car. I also had a lot of problems with the pickup. It would pull air if the tank was below 1/2. I use a Aeromotive 1000 pump. Once the smart valves were installed the problem went away. I have since went to 8 valves not just the 4 as shown. Hope it helps Randy
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Please see my PT Garage for more info on ProBell Camaro. 67 style,99 comfort, options and drive-ability with NASCAR Late Model suspension front and rear.https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vb...?do=view&g=106
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Car Domain PG
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565383

here is a setup we did where the cell bolts in from the bottom.

jason
      Bringing innovation into the industry one build at a time!

delete

Can anyone here say with any degree of certainty if the pump on this surge tank would support a ~480hp LS3?

http://www.atlinc.com/download.php?f.../21_ATLCFD.pdf

Or would one need another pump between the cell and the engine?
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Stick to one pump. Are you really set with using ATL... or are you open to options ??

Reason for question: I had a very long and in-depth conversation with Gary at Fuel Safe on just about every aspect of using the 'right' cell for the application. I'll tell you... I was all ready set to drop the $2500+ for the cell that I felt was necessary. Well... after the conversation with Gary... it was several hundred less and ended up with an even better result. I recommend that you give Gary a call... it's definitely worth your time.

Cliffnotes:

I am running a PC122'B' in aluminum. Its 25.5 x 17.125 x 13.75". It has an ST-100 sump/surge with ball check valves and I will be stuffing a Bosch (Kinsler part number 10211, found here, plus this info is a must read) EFI pump... which is the most used pump in this application. You can also find information on this specific pump at HRP. The cell has provisions for feed, return, vent, sender and a screw cap fill.

Now for the why. The cell is narrower than the stock tank by 11.5"... which helps with keeping fuel in the sump from reduced lateral fuel slosh and allows the exhaust to come out the back (like Rupp's). The cell is shorter in width than the stock tank by 6.875"... which allows you to locate the cell further forward to keep the weight closer to the axle and doesn't act as a pendulum when you are shaking the tail end and it helps with keeping fuel in the sump from reduced longitudinal fuel slosh... and it also provides you some 'crush' room in the event of an accident. Also, it allowed me to configure the structure for the chute anchor to the frame rails and build in some protection. The cell is taller than the stock tank by 4.75"... which when used with their uncut 12" fuel sender leaves you with 1.75" of "reserve" when the gage reads empty, which is 2.90 gallons... a built in safety. The particular Bosch pump is the most used pump in the our line of work... so they are every where... and finding one, if your pump dies at the track becomes easier... especially if it is the most common pump used. I also opted for an aluminum "Hat" can (similar to how Rupp did his)... so if an accident or gravity pulls the car into something more resilient... and it comes in contact with the ground or whatever... it wont spark. No spark, no combustion. Plus it's a little lighter. The "Procell" bladder is better for the climate that you (and I) live in... plus it's less hygroscopic and will live longer in the climate that you reside and the fact that you wont be emptying it and air it out after every use. FT3... is more than enough for what you have plans for.

Now... I should leave the reason for using the ball check valves vice that of the trap doors to your conversation with Gary. I'd try and explain it... but I don't have the time for the typing envolved... meaning, there are many reasons.

Not married to the idea of the ATL cell. Just attracted to the plug/play nature of that setup. Me no likey R&D.
      True T.

My blog

delete]

My car will have no rear seat and will have a full bulkhead. Not an issue.
      True T.

My blog

is it possible to run a fuel cell and also run the stock fuel tank....
      just looking for more range.. .. i have thought about this for some time.. but when i saw bullrun, and the mustang was running a fuel cell in the trunk and the stock tank i was wondering how they ran their setup.. if anyone knows... im interested in hearing about it..

i mean could the cell mounted in the trunk just basically drain into the stock tank, to increase the capacity???? or would that force fuel out of the stock filler neck on a 67 camaro because the cell in higher.. just looking for some options on increasing my range..

did i just single handedly kill this conversation

destroyed....

My bro has a fuel cell in the trunk and stock tank for his 68 GTO. In his case he uses the fuel cell to put in 100 octane for the NOS system gas solinoids. Not for exstending rang.

The old SVO mustangs use to have a set up like that. Many of the old 70s and 80s pickup had dual tanks and I'm sure you could set up something similar.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

the tank holds gas psi ?

Made a new thread...
      Last edited by 67 455 Bird ragtop; 04-23-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Deleted text and made my own thread.
      67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

Country Flag: South Africa
      Quote Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
      its getting close to time to be looking around for a fuel cell, the car will be about 98% street car with some autocross and drag racing. but since i do plan on racing it am i going to need a fuel cell with baffels in it to keep the fuel near the pick up ? i haven't really found much on this subject so if anyone has any info on this thanks in advance.
      Ricks tanks can custom make a fuel tank with baffels and all the pumps and goodies that go with it and they're out of stainless steel so they'll last forever. Here you go:- http://www.rickstanks.com/

Country Flag: Australia
      you can go for nacsar style.. one of my friend has used it and got good results in reasonable price.
      win pokies

22 Gallon, track and street 69 GTO

Planning out my fuel cell, made up a SolidWorks assembly to help make sure a 22 Gallon will fit in the space I have.
      I want to sandwich the trunk floor with 1.25" square tube (grey tubes) should be strong when I tie in the original fuel tank brace. Then use 1" square tube (blue) to build the rest of the cage. Bottom will have 14 Gage CRS plate to seal it away from the elements. Will make a bolt on sheet metal top cover so just the fill plate is visible. Looking at Fuel Safe with the surge tank, I modeled the 25.5" x 17.125" x 13.75" but an ATL tank will also fit with shims.

Name:  fuel cell mounted 2.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  47.6 KBName:  fuel cell mounted.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  46.9 KB

Would love to get some feedback.
      Thanks
      Eric
      Building 1969 GTO - Roadster Shop chassis, LQ9 w LS3 heads and rebuild parts from TSP, Bowler prepped Magnum T56 6 spd, 3 Link Strange 9" w Speedway Floater Hubs, Wilwood 14" F - 13" R brakes, 275.18 - 345.19
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

So one of the questions on here was sanctioning bodies and them not being likely to let less expensive fuel cells get thru tech. Then others talked about building their own fuel cell or modifying existing fuel tanks with a sump. Personally I am fine with whatever, if you want to immolate yourself in a fiery crash have at it but why would personally made cells or home modified tanks pass tech and not a cheaper brand of fuel cell. Surely they must have to go thru some testing etc to be sold and you have something to go on as a tech guy as opposed to one that a guy welded up in his shop. This is also not to say that many guys on here are not awesome fabricators and quite capable to making a cell at least as good as the manufacturers.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com