Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      NICE! Not bad for a bunch of "street squirrel" hot rodders, huh?

Geez, Steve, that tank looks a whole lot nicer than I remember!

Glad it is still working well.

My internal-framed aluminum tank seems to be holding up well too. It's got 2 years of holding liquids successfully.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Fule Cell Install

I have a question for you guys.......I have run fuel cells for years in my street cars. I always like the safty part........so I never never never would consider running a AN style fitting off the back that is soooooooo vunerable in any kind of accident. That sucker will come off in a second during a crash and the fuel is comming out. Its like the fuel cell does nothing for you? The lines off the back of the sump has been done for years and as nice as your cars are you forgot the one important thing.......you regressed to some very old school thinking??

Whats the option: Simple front mounted interior sump just like Nascar with three trap doors........never run out of fuel I dont care what your doing. How did this get overlooked? Its in all the fuel cell catalogs ATL/Fuel Safe

So you gusy spent the money to be safe but are not at all with exposed lines. Your lines could have exited in the front left corner on the side of the tank not the bottom. Clean look and very very safe. No lines stick out the back for some idiot with a crecent wrench to reach down and undo either? Send those fuel cells back and get those internal sumps put in.....your messing with a fireball with rear mounted exposed tank lines.

Thats was done in the seventies.....your cars are beautiful and my hats off to you but you missed on the fuel exiting your cells.

Which set-up are you referring to? It looks like most of the set-ups pictured have the supply/return lines coming from the top of the cell which would be inside the trunk area going forward; not to the back of the car. My fuel cell has a surge tank to ensure that it never runs dry in a cornering or hard braking situation. You are correct that pumps and lines mounted at the bottom rear of the car are not an ideal place. I have seen many a fire from a line that had been inadvertently knocked off.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
      Simple front mounted interior sump just like Nascar with three trap doors........never run out of fuel I dont care what your doing.
      I'll have a look. I never heard of it until now. Good tip.

jp
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj
      I'll have a look. I never heard of it until now. Good tip.

jp
      It's basically the same thing as the surge tank; instead of three check balls it has trap doors

http://www.fuelsafe.net/pdf/RoadRacing.pdf Look for the ST100-B
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

Surge Tank Aka Sump

I believe both Parsons Nova and Bad Penny have rear exiting fuel lines that are exposed to the world. Both of those care have a great deal of attention to detail and are beautiful........but I have been scratching my head on why they chose to run the fuel lines out the back? That is a huge safty issue and not only that it is ugly and detracts from both of these cars engineering principles.

The surge tanks aka enclosed sumps have been in Nascar for years. You can locate them toward the front of the tank where nobody can see a fuel line and not only that in the event of a rear end collision however it happens the lines are totally protected. If one of those cars get smacked hard now in the rear.........big problem.

They will allow you to run the tank down to about a pint of fuel before running out. What more could you ask for.....Safty and something that works perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny rockett
      I have a question for you guys.......I have run fuel cells for years in my street cars. I always like the safty part........so I never never never would consider running a AN style fitting off the back that is soooooooo vunerable in any kind of accident. That sucker will come off in a second during a crash and the fuel is comming out. Its like the fuel cell does nothing for you? The lines off the back of the sump has been done for years and as nice as your cars are you forgot the one important thing.......you regressed to some very old school thinking??

Whats the option: Simple front mounted interior sump just like Nascar with three trap doors........never run out of fuel I dont care what your doing. How did this get overlooked? Its in all the fuel cell catalogs ATL/Fuel Safe

So you gusy spent the money to be safe but are not at all with exposed lines. Your lines could have exited in the front left corner on the side of the tank not the bottom. Clean look and very very safe. No lines stick out the back for some idiot with a crecent wrench to reach down and undo either? Send those fuel cells back and get those internal sumps put in.....your messing with a fireball with rear mounted exposed tank lines.

Thats was done in the seventies.....your cars are beautiful and my hats off to you but you missed on the fuel exiting your cells.
      ???

what tank are you talking about.. my Fuel Safe unit has the exit from the top of the tank.. I think that's the most common way.
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by johnny rockett
      I believe both Parsons Nova and Bad Penny have rear exiting fuel lines that are exposed to the world. Both of those care have a great deal of attention to detail and are beautiful........but I have been scratching my head on why they chose to run the fuel lines out the back? That is a huge safty issue and not only that it is ugly and detracts from both of these cars engineering principles.
      Nope.. my lines exit the top of the tank.. not the back.

The original design of the car had the lines exiting from the rear. This is how the car came to me and I didn't want to redesign the whole back to change it.

After the accident I decided to make it the way I really wanted so the Fuel Safe went in with top lines.

Nonetheless, I took a pretty good hit to the back of the car and my rear exiting lines never spilled a drop. That doesn't mean I think they are "safe". Just wanted to point out how they did.
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

What are my options using a cell but using the OEM fill location of behind the licence plate?

I have tank like this:

Do all cells have to have the filler on the top??

If it was mounted low enough (and the tank was short) could an elbow be fabbed to route behind the license plate?

--JMarsa

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rockett
      That is a huge safty issue and not only that it is ugly and detracts from both of these cars engineering principles.
      Safety point taken. Sounds like an engineering upgrade might need to be in the works. I would point out that my cell is surrounded by 2x4 tube, supplemented by an internal frame, and further supported by a roll cage tube. It will survive a decent smack without issue, and I do have flexible line connecting the tank/pump tubing and the main chassis hard lines. As far as ugly is concerned, that's in the eye of the beholder. Nicely bent hard lines are pleasing to my eye.

Anybody got a picture of a tank being fab'ed with the Fuel Safe trapdoor pickups? I'm still not quite picturing how it works.

jp
      John Parsons

The surge tank fits in a hole cut out in the foam within the bladder towards the front of the tank (when facing it) at the bottom. It is a pretty snug fit. They don't leave a lot of room for anything else, i.e a fuel pump.

OK, so how does the fuel get from the surge tank to the pump? That's what I'm not getting.
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by fordsbyjay
      Does anyone consider the 22 gal cell to be rather large? How much volume do you lose with foam in the cell?
      22 gallons works for me because of running the hour long endurance race. 500 hp burns app 25 gallons per hour, the enduro race requires 1 pit stop anytime before the last 15 minutes of the race. 22 gallons gives you lots of options.
      For instance, if you get in a tight bunch of cars, that'll slow your lap times, go ahead and pit, you'll get away away from them and get some open track and run faster lap times.

Or you're running free and clear the whole race, pit near the end of your window. You made the most of your race.

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj
      OK, so how does the fuel get from the surge tank to the pump? That's what I'm not getting.
      The pump can be mounted inside the bladder directly to the fitting coming out of the surge tank. Fuel Safe actually sells a surge tank with a Bosch pump inside the surge tank.

Instead of me posting a bunch of pics. You can go here and look at how we did my tank

http://www.sportmachines.com/gallery/fueldeliv
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Very nice. How many gallons did it end up holding? Nice use of space between the frame rails.

I used a lot of info in this thread but even with that I still spent the better part of two days figuring out this fuel cell mount and cage. I've built drag cars with 5 gallon poly tanks but never a tank this big for a Road Race car.
      A steel case 22 gallon fuel cell in a 68 Firebird with an X'd roll cage is a very tight fit.
      I had to make the frame and cage in two pieces. The main frame is U shaped and welded with the main tube welded between the rear frame rails at the spring perches, the front cross member bolts to the frame, has the cage welded to it, it bolts to the the rear welded mount. Kind of a clam shell system. But that's the "only" way I could come up with to be able to remove it.
      I still have to secure the tank but at least the frame is somewhat figured out.
      What a PITA.

"Yes, that's Jake going to town on my trunk and yes, he has smallish ears." -Steve

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Jake can take a hit as well as he can dish it out.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com