Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      That cell ain't goin nowhere. And you have two extra crossmembers between your framerails. Poifect!
      Yea, I figure that's a bonus.. We painted the cage black and the can will either be Fuel Safe red or, most likely, grey to match the frame and rearend. I wanted to run the 22 gallon cell but my narrowed rear frame rails killed that idea. 18 gallons should still give me well over a 400 mile range on the highway.

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Im glad you went with the cage Steve. As I always advise my customers, even if your car isn't going to see much track time, a race part should be mounted like a race part.

Actually a street driven car might see a bit more harsh conditions than on the track. How offen do you travel 40-60 miles on rough track.

Looks good BTW.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Did someone make that cage? Or was it bought from Fuel Safe?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM66
      Did someone make that cage? Or was it bought from Fuel Safe?
      We made it at Best Of Show.. You pretty much have to custom make the cage and bracing to fit the car.

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

Thanks!!, I feel mcuh better now!!
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2
      Fine, have it your way!!!! ;)

The "cage" for the new fuel cell..

The mounting rack:

With the can, tank and top installed:
      Last edited by Steve1968LS2; 08-13-2008 at 03:19 PM.
      Brian
      -1972 Nova
      -1968 Camaro
      -1990 Iroc Camaro

I copied the HTH basket in my car as well. I have the 22 gal as I didn't do the mini-tubs. Did you already have a firewall behind the rear seat? What about the package tray? I'll put some pics of mine up later today. We just finished welding it in for good with some braces to the rear suspension supports. We also welded the lip of the basket to the trunk pan all the way around. The guy welding it was standing in it while he was doing it so hopefully it won't be going anywhere.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

gas fumes

I have a Harwood fuel cell in the trunk of my 67 Camaro. Fumes fill the garge when car is not used. Fumes are definetly coming from the fuel cell rollover vent. Does anyone know of a kit or some type of solution? Currently I attach the vent to a garden hose which extends over to the garge door. I thought of attaching a charcoal canister, but without being attached to the intake system that will also be an inconvenience as it fills with fuel.

Thanks,
      ED

i put a charcoal canister on my car, they don't fill up with fuel unless you hooked something up wrong. i could deffently tell when i had it hooked up. i forgot to put the cap back on after i was messing around with the tank and when i got home the next day the whole house reaked of gas.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Fuel cells

Looking at a JAZ, http://www.jazproducts.com/pro_sport_fc.html #270-122-06
      this seems to be the only one I can find 34" x 18 x 10. All others are pretty deep.
      But, a 22 gallon, foam filled, steel case with D ring is $340 from Jegs and 2-3 weeks, $365 direct but ships in one day.

Any other options out there? Will I have issues with the fuel pick up? It's on the back right. Several road course tracks are mainly right hand turns.

I got a 22 gal from Fuel Safe and it is only 13" deep.

http://www.fuelsafe.com/pdf/RoadRacing.pdf

I got the Enduro ED122B. Where in SC are you? I bought mine here locally from Autometrics. They are a Porsche road racing outfit here in Charleston.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

I'm in Greenville, fuel safe quoted me the SM122E and the PC122E direct so I know it was list $ but...
      The SM was $1400, the JAZ is less than $400 with shipping and all.
      I like the fuel safe better but jeez, that's a big difference.

How much was the ED122-B you got? Even though I'd go with the A for my car.

How much was the ED122-B you got? Even though I'd go with the A for my car.[/quote]

I'll have to dig up the receipt, but from what I remember it was pricey. There are some internet retailers that you could check out to get a ballpark figure.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by scogin918
      How much was the ED122-B you got? Even though I'd go with the A for my car.
      I'll have to dig up the receipt, but from what I remember it was pricey. There are some internet retailers that you could check out to get a ballpark figure.[/quote]

Here is a price from http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...Racing_Bladder. I have been looking around myself so I have a question as to the differences in the Fuelsafe units. I was looking at the enduro or the sportsman. The liner is different but they are both rated for gasoline so does it matter as far as street car requirements? How long does a liner usually last?

I am in the process of changing my entire fuel system and by the time you buy a tank from Ricks or modify a new one you are close to spending what an enduro tanks cost (or less with a Jazz).
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy cow - what a ride!!!
      See my build

Jason

Looks like you guys are hungry for some pix. Here's a couple of links to go thru. I'll elaborate in great detail when I have more time.

http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/PhotoAlbum71.html

Finished install
      http://web.mac.com/streetfytr/iWeb/T.../Upgrades.html

Here's some quick and random, but important thoughts.

Before I start, my fuel tank is the product of help from friends. The tank is built out of stainless steel by John Parsons. It's heavy but incredibly strong. I gave up on aluminum as it has a tendency to suffer a problem known as Work Hardening over time. I went thru two aluminum RCI type tanks before making the switch to SS. Both aluminum tanks developed cracks in corners as well as seamed areas.
      As for installation, Jake's Rod Shop stepped up to build the cradle and new brackets. Prior to Jake Parrott's efforts, the tank was bolted directly to the trunk floor. This is not an acceptable practice for any sump style install that requires a hole in the floor. The trunk pan literally tore around the mounts as a result of wheel hop from drag racing as well as ordinary NY driving and Power Tour. Jake did an amazing job of building a study structure and rebuilding the trunk floor to yield a finished appearance.

Thoughts:
      1) The trunk pan contours do NOT lend themselves to fuel cell installation. The recessed area is rounded and irregular in shape. Before you take the plunge, know that the only way to do this right is to completely eliminate the recessed and contoured surfaces. It's a big hole. If you don't flatten the trunk floor, you will never be able to properly seal the floor to the cell. Get out to the garage and study the fuel neck area, curved corners, sloping sides, and sloping forward area where the spare tire mount is located. Any surfaces that are not parallel to the ground need to go. The following picture best describes this concern. Yes, that's Jake going to town on my trunk and yes, he has smallish ears.

2)The all square-tube crossmembers are welded directly to the frame rails in front of and behind the cell. In the case of my car, the forward cross tube (perpendicular to frame rails) is also doubled up against my shock crossmember. Once the front and rear cross tubing was welded into place, two side tubes (parallel to frame rails) were welded to the cross tubes and frame rails. This creates a basic rectangle that can accept the lower cradle pieces.

3) The lower cradle was added after body work to make it easier to work on the car. Turns out that framework was the easy part. the biggest challenge in all of this is dealing with the giant hole. When you cut away all non flat surfaces, you create a really big irregular hole. With the basic rectangular structure in place, Jake made four pieces of sheetmetal measuring about 30" by 16". He then put 90 degree bends in all four pieces. Yes, I was scratching my head. So you get a 30" by 8" horizontal surface that meets a 30" by 8" vertical surface. Get it?
      Slide the vertical surfaces down against the outside edges of the rectangle/ The horizontal surfaces get trimmed to match the trunk pan. Once installed, bondo and Shutz paint are used to make the new sheetmetal look like it has always been there. Amazing. Finally the tank was test fitted and the lower cradle was built around the tank.

This task is best left to a professional. If you're anywhere in the northeast, just call Jake. A safe mount is not the only concern. Done poorly, you'll end up with a trunk full of exhaust fumes and moisture. Stare at your trunk pan with tank measurements in hand and think twice before cutting that hole.
      Last edited by Steve Chryssos; 01-26-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Country Flag: Canada
      Does anyone consider the 22 gal cell to be rather large? How much volume do you lose with foam in the cell?
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - Holy cow - what a ride!!!
      See my build

Jason

What do you all think of what I made up? Is this ever gonna get approved? I have one large sumped tank above the irs, and that splits to two in-floor tanks.

The idea is that
      a) i'll use just the in-floor tanks when racing to keep the weight low
      c) I have two pumps so I can use one on street (the other is reserve) and both for sprints

Thoughts?

James

Country Flag: Netherlands
      32 gallon ATL cell.

I fixed the images..

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

Here are some of my pics for the 22 gal Enduro cell from Fuel Safe

Many thanks to Josh at Camtech Motorsports here in Charleston.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com