Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Maybe this one....for a 65 Shelby Mustang R Model.

http://www.cobranda.com/categoryget....D=752&DeptID=1

Fuel Cell Install Pics

Here is the Fuel Safe Enduro 22 gal cell going through the trunk pan. Thanks to Camtech Motorsports for the basket.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

Country Flag: Canada
      Lookin great!

-Matt
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Looks really good. Pretty much the same thing Ii plan todo. I'm guessing you are going to run an aircraft style fill cap on the tail panel? Where did you buy your cell from?

How is the trunk sealed from the outside environment?
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      How is the trunk sealed from the outside environment?
      I'm thinking the 'basket' is welded completely, or at least sealed very well between any welds. Then the Fuel Safe cell should rest ont he 'basket' edge with some form of gasket and seal fairly well. I built an enclosed box that will have a removable lid so that you cannot see the cell at all from inside or outside of the trunk. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just gotten a Fuel Safe cell like that one and dropped it in my closed box. The RCI aluminum cell I got I had to modify extensively to get it to work for road racing. I had to cut it open and weld in baffles, then foam-fill the thing. I also had to move the sump and the fill opening to fit my needs as well. Oh well, live and learn.
      Jeff
      1971 RS Camaro: PAINKILLER

boy, that thing is really hanging down huh? did you intend for it to be this way ?
      why not use a stock dimesion tank ?

Thanks for the comments. The Basket will be welded to the trunk pan along the entire perimeter. The bolts that go through the lid will be a little longer so they can go through the floor pan as well as the 1" tubing. It's either that or use inserts located in the tubing itself. The fuel cell is 9" deep but is elevated into the trunk 1"+ because of the trunk pan and tubing that it rests on. Just be glad I didn't get the 35 gal. tank. It is 13" tall but would've probably been to much weight with a full tank.
      Robert's 1969 Camaro - 2002 LS1/T56, 10pt cage, Global West Stage III front suspension, HTH truck arm rear suspension, Sprint Cup 9" full-floating rear end, Fikse Mach V 17" up front 18" in the back and still working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD
      Looks really good. Pretty much the same thing Ii plan todo. I'm guessing you are going to run an aircraft style fill cap on the tail panel? Where did you buy your cell from?
      Exactly. Just like the '67/'68's. It looks like it was supposed to be there. I bought the cell locally from Autometrics who ran in the Rolex 24 Hours this past weekend. They were out early though. There are a couple of internet dealers you can look up or try www.fuelsafe.com

Looks great BTW, I plan on having mine rest just about the same way.
      True T.

My blog

guess its just personal preference on the look ???

keep the pics coming.

How much did your fuel cell basket cost ya? Also does camtech motorsports have a website.

Matt

So the fuel basket is welded to sheetmetal and not tied into the rear frame anywhere???

Fuel Cell

I'm thinking of going with a sump fuel cell. The stock tank uses straps and most of the cells have mounting tabs. What is the ruling on this one? What will pass track specs? Can you suspend it without straps/tubing?
      It's shake and bake!!! and i helped!
      Drewco Homes

Quote Originally Posted by datsbad
      guess its just personal preference on the look ???

keep the pics coming.

Function over form.

I don't want a tank like Ricks because while they are baffled they are not foam filled and have no puncture sealing capacity like you get in a Fuel Safe cell. I don't want it in the trunk because in the event I back the car into a wall or get rear-ended on the highway I want more between me and 22ga of gas than the rear bulkhead. Having the cell below the car keeps the fuel out of the car.
      Besides, I'd like to be able to use the trunk.
      Putting the cell below the car is the best option in terms of safety and function.

That basket really ought to be mechanicly connected to the rear subframe either via bolts or welding.

BTW, this might be a good thread to have moved over to the General Tech/Safety forum.
      True T.

My blog

I like to see the cell from the rear of the car, its all business. You could paint it black and it would disappear.

Could you raise the cell into the trunk a few more inches or is it a weight issue? Gas does weigh a lot.

I am also curious about the cost of the basket.

I guess a big fuel cell mounted really low helps the front to back weight distribution
      Being able to read the Fuel Safe logo from behind is also kind a cool.

Please post pictures when the fuel fill is done.
      Free hostings of solid models!
      http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/Solids/Solids.html
      92 Stealth Twin Turbo with 3.5L Engine swap
      www.wrenchmonkey.com
      Looking for my next project, maybe an AWD 71 Lemans????

That basket really ought to be mechanically connected to the rear subframe either via bolts or welding.

BTW, this might be a good thread to have moved over to the General Tech/Safety forum.
      That’s why I asked. I have never heard of anyone going through the trouble of running a properly build structure and then welding it to sheet metal. Would have been better off just bolting the cell to the trunk.

BTW, for those interested, welding the structure to the floor will not pass tech in any racing venue and is terribly unsafe, much more unsafe than a stock fuel container. You now have a really heavy flammable projectile only being held in place by very some poor welds (impossible to get good penetration welding 18ga to 1/4" square tubing). I hope there are some braces from the structure to the frame rail we don't see in the pics. Not trying to bust your nuts, just don’t want anyone looking at this as a good example of a build process.

No, the cell must be attached to a steel structure and that structure welded or attached with proper hardware to the vehicle chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis68
      BTW, for those interested, welding the structure to the floor will not pass tech in any racing venue and is terribly unsafe, much more unsafe than a stock fuel container. You now have a really heavy flammable projectile only being held in place by very some poor welds (impossible to get good penetration welding 18ga to 1/4" square tubing). I hope there are some braces from the structure to the frame rail we don't see in the pics. Not trying to bust your nuts, just don’t want anyone looking at this as a good example of a build process
      (Anal)El Wrong-O. It's certainly possible to run a structurally sound weld on those thicknesses, however it would take someone who's pretty proficient in the process to do it, and do it well. (/Anal)

With that said, I completely agree with Dennis about the (lack of) structural integrity of what you're doing.

Think about it this way: You have a full tank and get into a decent wreck, causing a 20g force. You now have a 2700 pound projectile headed for the passenger compartment.

If it were me, I'd weld it to the trunk floor like has been disgussed, but also run some outriggers to the frame rails with doubler plates on the frame rails, minimum. Don't take that thing lightly.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com