Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      If it held a half gallon, that would be great. Somewhere between three pints and a half gallon.

A 4" dia round tube as tall as you can make it is best, or around 10" to 12" tall, I"d go to 3" dia before making it shorter height, - you want enough height so the fuel is all at the bottom and air can rise to the top. One pump is dedicated to keeping it full with excess vented back to the tank so there is no pressure buildup.

An internal pump could be put inside the makup tank or use an external pump to pump to the engine.

I used one on my Lola T-70 and it worked perfectly but later installed a square tank the size of a half gallon milk carton inside my fuel cell with trap doors. It eliminated the external tank and one pump. But I allready had the fuel cell.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

well i don't have a cell yet but like the fuel safe cell, am i going to need to use 2 the same pump that i feed the engine with? the only reason i ask is i am using a twin turbo small block and i fear the fuel flow demand will suck the tank dry before it can be refilled if i use a smaller pump. could i use a regular high volume pump to feed the tank and use the return line into the small tank? then the over flow line back to the fuel cell. it sounds good on paper but if it works is different.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Country Flag: United States
      I don't kow what you budgit is (cells can be quite affordable) but a 'sure thing' is to have Matt, RFR ,build you a custom, baffeled, replacement tank that fit's under the car in the stock location...that way you don't loose your trunk to a cell and all your issues are handled at the same time. He can build whatever you want and set it up for either an internal or external pump and have all the an fittings welded and ready to plumb!!

BTW, He's building mine, so I'm not selling you on anything I wouldn't do!!
      Tony

i have been thinking about having him build me one, i can't use a stock location due to the way i'm going to run my exaust. a sunk in fuel cell will work though so that the way i need to go. i'll prolly PM him when i get home tonight.

anybody with a Fuel Safe cell

are you running a fuel level sender?

Yep. But, there were no instructions with the darned thing. I hooked it up as I "thought" I should have, meaning 12v, ground, and sender, but the gauge read full all the time (or might have been empty, can't recall). In the process of doing something else to the car the other day, I disconnected the 12v, and the gauge read 1/4 tank. I am guessing it doesn't need 12V, but I screwed up the pot settings so bad that I will have to fill the car, and empty it to set the levels correctly.

Sound familiar?
      Mark

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/fsafe9a.htm

They do need 12v. When you buy them seperately, they come with instructions. Simple stuff really:

Install fuel cell and add a couple gallons of gas (or however much you want left when the gauge reads empty), then set the "empty" pot until your gauge reads empty.

Fill fuel cell fully, then adjust "full" pot until gauge reads full.

These are really neat senders (can be cut to length for oddball tanks like the one pictured), but are not cheap. Plus, no moving parts so you can run them in bladders and in conjunction with fuel cell foam.
      Last edited by Matt@RFR; 04-27-2005 at 11:38 AM.
      -Matt

Welders: The only people that think a co-worker catching on fire is funny.

i forgot to ask how many gal. tank was everyone running?

How far do you want to go?
      -Matt

i was thinking everyother exit , well i was looking at either the 18 gal. or 22 gal. tank. also when you use fuel safe's level sending unit i'm using auto meters gauges doesn that matter?

Personally, for a streetable car, I'd go as big as possible. It's the same amount of money to fill, just in bigger (but further spaced) chunks.

Full, the 22 gallon tank will only weigh roughly 25lbs more than the 18 gallon...not enough to worry about, all other things being equal.

The Fuel Safe sender comes in the 0-90 ohm flavor unless you specify otherwise, and I'm not sure what other choices they have.

Doesn't matter what brand gauge you have (even stock), as long as the ohm range is correct. If you bought a gauge for a GM car, you have the 0-90 ohm gauge.
      -Matt

dennis68 Guest
      Fuel safe builds a real nice 32 gallon

I run a 22 in my car, in trunk-first gen Camaro. I made it such that about three inches, maybe a little more, are above the nominal trunk pan, the rest is underneath the car. I think it looks pretty cool too. You need to vent the tank out of the passenger area of the car, and also will need to run a full firewall to sperate the trunk from the interior in case the worst happens.

So, I was playing with mine again last night (sending unit). I definitely works without the 12v lead, but I can't get it to adjust to empty, the lowest it goes is about 1/4 tank or so. Ironic too, because the gauge hadn't been working, and it is a 22 gallon tank, I always kind of assumed I still had "enough" gas. I ran out last night, luckily in the shop though!

Mark

That's strange, Mark. I wonder why they even put the "12v+" terminal on the sender if it's not needed??? Weird.

I'm sure you have, but I have to ask; Have you made sure that your sender is the correct length for your tank (bladder)?
      -Matt

I'm sure you have, but I have to ask; Have you made sure that your sender is the correct length for your tank (bladder)?
      Oh, come on now, Matt. You know me, of COURSE I haven't! I expected the darned part to come from the supplier correct!

Kidding aside, I hadn't even considered that, but it would seem to me that if it were too short, the tank would read "empty" earlier rather than later (as is in my case). Honest though, the darned sender is the least of my problems, I realized that my wonderful $120 optima battery is dead?!?! I'll sort the sender out later, but for crystal clarification, it doesn't work at all with 12v connected (were you using the stock gauge in your applications, or a remote one???).

M

i have to ask since i can find no clean answer, is the adjusters on the sending unit itself? also Mean 69 do you have any pics of it in the car? i was thinking about doing it something like that depending on how much it hangs below the floor. i ordered the 22 gal tank 34 x 17 1/2 x 9 1/2 with the standard 6x10 fill plate, i'll change it to the correct one when i figure out what i need but untill then i can get the cell mounted.

...if it were too short, the tank would read "empty" earlier rather than later...
      Ahh yes, so true. Sorry dude, been a loooong day.

...$120 optima battery is dead?!?!
      What'd you do to it?

I have to ask since I can find no clean answer, are the adjusters on the sending unit itself?
      Yep. Two little philips screws. I can track that tank down and get better pictures if you want.

...it doesn't work at all with 12v connected.
      Bizzare. I haven't had a chance to run one in my own car (we's be po' folk), but I haven't had any customers call with that complaint. The only one that's local isn't in the car yet, but I'll try and remember to see what the deal is when they wire that car.
      -Matt

Why, oh why??? Did my battery die? I give up. But it did. New one works great.

Not terribly high on my concerns' chart, but the fuel sender still ain't working.

Here's a shot of the "Lateral One," otherwise known as the shop mule. This is with a 22 G Fuel Safe cell, catalog item.

Mark

As always, your mileage may vary, and we cannot be held responsible for anything that causes you issues you don't like.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Whoa! What a killer ride,Mark.

unique performance fuel cell funnel

Any of you guys know where to get the spun aluminum funnel the unique uses on there fuel cells? They have the filler cap listed. I also looked at Rick's because they build the tanks for them. Just curious if anybody knew before I called.

Ian

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com