Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Turbo and mileage

I'm thinking I may go with a turbo on my project, still exploring the possibility. My problem is, I've always been anti-helper in the past, favoring NA power to get what I want. As a result, my knowledge on boost is spotty and, only what I've been able to pick up by reading over the last year.

From what I gather, during normal cruise you won't be into the turbos. They are normally sized so they only come on when you go a few hundred RPM over cruise when the engine builds enough exhaust flow to start the party.

My question here is, what would be the effect if the turbos were sized to be running, say, 2-3lbs of boost while at cruise? I'm wondering if pulling a bit of energy out of the exhaust during cruising (around 2000RPM) would help with cruising mileage at all.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

as an ecoboost F150 owner, I can attest you can have eco or boost; just not at the same time. LOL

IMO to make boost at part throttle (2000 rpm) the turbo would have to be severely undersized and prove to be a restriction at WOT
      Scott Atkinson
      68 Camaro SS in progress
      Las Vegas, NV / Redondo Beach, CA

Kinda expected that WOT would kill fuel economy, but I spend most of my driving time cruising at a set speed, usually around 2000RPM. My intended redline will be 6000RPM, so would a bypass valve take care of any WOT restrictions? And would there be any negative consequences to running under light boost for miles at a time?

2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com