Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Torque arm questions

New guy here, I have a question about torque arms. First off I'm not new to building things. I have built several 4link/coil over and radius arm jeeps and a bunch of cages. The question is why all the torque arm setups run a slider/shackle/bushing at the forward lower mount? I understand that most are solid mounted at the diff, but why couldn't you use flex joints on the arm at the diff and do away with the forward slip?

I'm currently building a 65 Ranchero, S&T arms and coil overs in front and want to eliminate the leafs out back. A torque arm seems like a reasonable setup, I would build it myself but the slip really bugs me.

If you have two rear lower control arms of length X and a torque arm of length Y and they all have fixed attachments on both ends, what will happen during suspension travel and X and Y travel in different arcs?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Binding situation

Quote Originally Posted by Oly_Fab View Post
      New guy here, I have a question about torque arms. First off I'm not new to building things. I have built several 4link/coil over and radius arm jeeps and a bunch of cages. The question is why all the torque arm setups run a slider/shackle/bushing at the forward lower mount? I understand that most are solid mounted at the diff, but why couldn't you use flex joints on the arm at the diff and do away with the forward slip?

I'm currently building a 65 Ranchero, S&T arms and coil overs in front and want to eliminate the leafs out back. A torque arm seems like a reasonable setup, I would build it myself but the slip really bugs me.
      The ability for a flex joint to eliminate binding is asking for a lot when the travel of the degrees of deflection go beyond its distance of travel. I think many have tried to do it without the slider but possible binding occurs from so many different points of travel as it goes thru the arc of motion.

I think it also eliminates the rear axle from pushing the car from its mid point in front of the axle . The ride is really different from what the guys who tried them claimed.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      If you have two rear lower control arms of length X and a torque arm of length Y and they all have fixed attachments on both ends, what will happen during suspension travel and X and Y travel in different arcs?
      Your lengths would have to be closer to the same making it closer to a 3 link. Differences in lengths would cause pinion rotation, also effecting squat/anti squat roll center binding ect. I rolled it around the marbles in my head and understand the idea behind it. Seems it would load the chassis closer to a center point creating squat under acc/deceleration.

How does it effect the driveline angle? It would be fixed at the diff, but at the trans does it put the joint out of phase?

Sorry, guess I'm looking at bolt in kits (a couple are sketchy) I would build my own and have a idea for the forward mount, but coming from building crawlers a fixed diff mount is inconceivable LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nilsen View Post
      The ability for a flex joint to eliminate binding is asking for a lot when the travel of the degrees of deflection go beyond its distance of travel. I think many have tried to do it without the slider but possible binding occurs from so many different points of travel as it goes thru the arc of motion.

I think it also eliminates the rear axle from pushing the car from its mid point in front of the axle . The ride is really different from what the guys who tried them claimed.
      I was thinking about it today and it would essentially make it a 3 link. This would negate the majority of the loading of the chassis where you want it.

Speedtech Torquearm

I can say that I couldnt be happier with the Speedtech Torque Arm. Under WOT acceleration the car stays incredibly flat, even while loosing traction, spinning and pulling hard all at the same time, car tracks straight and feels very in control. 700 hp NA First Gen Camaro.
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Our Maverick is our first experience with a torque arm. It has the complete RRS suspension setup front and rear. The front of the torque arm is mounted on a pivot, the Aussies call it a propeller, and the bracket for it on the crossmember has a multitude of adjustment holes. Rear end is located with a Mumford link system. Once I figured out how to get it properly adjusted I've been really impressed with how flat the car says under acceleration and how much traction it has. The car has a completely different feel from anything I've owned before in a good way.

'70 Maverick. Prestige Motorsports 347, Tremec TKO600, Currie 9", 3:50 posi, RRS suspension

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com