Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Hydroboost Help

Hydroboost Help

Does anyone have experience with hydroboost on a 69 Camaro? I have P/S with KRC Type 2 HP pump and Concept One dual return reservoir, new steering box, Wilwood at all 4 corners including MC with new P/S and brake lines. SS lines running from box to HB to pump.The brakes have been bled. I am going through the P/S and HB bleeding process. When I push on the brake pedal, it pulses and pushes back on the first push. Then is feels pretty steady except I can see the pedal has a slight slow return. If you hold the pedal down at idle you can hear a slight whine. When you turn the steering wheel to lock you can hear the slight whine and see the HP line from pump to HB jump a little. The fluid is no longer going down in the reservoir and is steady. I've never had HB and don't know what's normal and what's not. I don't want to drop car off of stands to realize I don't have brakes. I have yet to set prop valve on MC. All tests were at engine idle.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9975.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	447.6 KB 
ID:	212851

Country Flag: United States
      I recall some weirditude when I was first driving my '68 Camaro with the HB - including feedback through the brake. That all cleared up pretty quickly. Maybe call Hydratech and ask them what's normal?
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

For grins and giggles, crack the cap or leave it open and try operating your brakes. Wondering if the small vent hole in the reservoir cap is causing isses?
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Will do. I did a test drive yesterday. I have brakes. They are really really touchy. The only concern is that it is noisy when on brakes or turning.

If you've got brakes, I'd drive it. I was very concerned initially, then everything got happy and the brakes and steering are better than fine.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Spoke with Hydratech today and they said to keep bleeding and driving. Depending of several factors, it may take a minute to get all the air out. I have brakes, it's just noisy when steering and braking. HT said it was air still trapped. Most likely micro-bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Motohead View Post
      Spoke with Hydratech today and they said to keep bleeding and driving. Depending of several factors, it may take a minute to get all the air out. I have brakes, it's just noisy when steering and braking. HT said it was air still trapped. Most likely micro-bubbles.
      Hydratech also if usually very adamant about the type of PS fluid used. Lubeguard, Redline or Royal Purple. Give it some miles to work through. Also, you'll have much more line pressure at the same pedal pressure so you might end up playing around with different pads to the stopping power vs pedal feel you want. A pad with a high initial grip, might be too much with Hydraboost.
      Jim..Car Junkie
      1969 Vette--Big pistons, No turbo....yet
      RX7 Turbo II--No pistons. Big turbo--now in my Daughter's garage
      68 RS Z/28, '12 Boss 302, 86 911, several RX7's, 3rd gen f-bodies, fox body, and many more..(gone)

Quote Originally Posted by jimco84x View Post
      Hydratech also if usually very adamant about the type of PS fluid used. Lubeguard, Redline or Royal Purple. Give it some miles to work through. Also, you'll have much more line pressure at the same pedal pressure so you might end up playing around with different pads to the stopping power vs pedal feel you want. A pad with a high initial grip, might be too much with Hydraboost.
      They did recommend the fluids you stated. But I don't see anything wrong with Lucas Oil products. Plus, I really don't want to drain the entire system and start the bleeding all over again if I don't have too.
      KCR did not have a preference. I am running Wilwood pads and 6 pistons up front, so it may be too much. I still have to set the prop valve too.

I tried them all but the GM Power Steering Fluid was by far the best. Old Man Lee at Lee's Power Steering turned me on that many years ago after having similar problems.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      I tried them all but the GM Power Steering Fluid was by far the best. Old Man Lee at Lee's Power Steering turned me on that many years ago after having similar problems.
      Same. Tommy Lee was the guy who told me 30 years ago to use that. Paul at Hydratech used to say that was OK too but maybe he likes other stuff more now.

Todd Z.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com