Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hydroboost vs power brakes lsa

Hey guys going back and forth between hydroboost and power brakes in my 6.0 Lsa build goin in my car . Anyone have issues getting vaccum pressure ?

Country Flag: United States
      I'm not a big fan of the hydroboost. There's extra hydraulic lines that must be made and routed around, and it adds a whole new mess of possible problems. If you've never driven one I would suggest finding a hydroboost vehicle to drive before committing to them. A lot of Chevy 2500s from the late 90s had them. On the other hand, vacuum brakes are simple. You can add a vacuum reservoir for your brakes if you're building a low vacuum engine, and the link below is a story about using an electric vacuum pump.

https://www.streetmusclemag.com/news...t-vacuum-pump/

I'm considering manual brakes for my own project as boosters are a large, heavy chunk of steel which can be removed from the firewall and replaced with a slightly longer brake pedal rod.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

I have an LSA in my 68. No issues with the brakes. Always have brake pressure.
      Running the DSE master and booster.
      Similar setup that works for the Stielow's bullds and the way he drives the car.
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

I've got a hydraboost system in my '68 Camaro. Love it. As I recall, I made my own lines. On my car, the power steering pump, reservoir, steering box and hydraboost are all pretty close together, so the installation doesn't look fussy or complicated at all. I had to play with the routing of the return hose from the boost unit, but once I got it figured out it's been great.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Hydroboost is a good option for most cars. The feel of the pedal is different, but a good one. Lines are easy as you can just buy factory ones from many GM 2500 series trucks. In process now of doing mine. Lsa with She Gone cam so want to make sure all is good.

I've used a hydra boost on my 66 Mustang. C5 brakes all around. Got all the parts from Paul at Hydratech. Worked very well.
      On my 67 Nova project I went with manual brakes with parts from Tobin at KORE3.com. C5 brakes all around. Again worked well.
      Don't know where or what the LSA came from but I believe Camaro's and Corvette's came with vacuum boosters. I could be wrong. I would not use a vacuum cannister as a band-aid for low vacuum.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Did you have any problems bleeding the system? What should HB brakes feel like?

The return hose routing from the hydraboost system can be fussy and getting the system bled can take a little time. All worth it, IMHO. The brakes are very powerful and very controllable. The guys at Hydratech were incredibly helpful back in 2013 when I was finalizing my non-Hydratech system. For my current build I'm using them.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com