Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Removing LS from a second gen Camaro

Hey guys, I need to pull my LS3 from my 73 Z. Never pulled an LS before I have done Small blocks, question is should I pull trans as well with motor attached or leave trans in. Pulling motor for a rebuild.

Country Flag: United States
      Either or. Removing an automatic trans from an LS is only a little different from removing it from an old style. Pull the starter and you can access the torque converter bolts. There should be a little round metal plug on the bottom of the trans to access the flexplate gear to rotate it. Pull the spark plugs first so you aren't fighting compression. The bolts holding the trans housing to the engine is slightly different, there should be studded bolts holding the housing on. The trans dipstick will be held on by a nut, and the fuel line support will be held on the same way. And, there may be a bolt on the very top and not one on the passenger top instead of 3 on each side like an old engine. If it doesn't come away don't force it, check that all the bolts were removed. Aside from these specifics, they're the same.

I've never pulled a manual from one, but it shouldn't be any different than pulling a manual from an old style engine would be aside from trans to engine mounting locations.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Pulling the engine depends on a few things.
      1. Remove the hood.
      2. Do you have the front sheet metal on the car? If not I would pull and reinstall the engine and trans as one. If the front sheet metal and radiator are still in place I would do just the engine.
      3. Assuming you are using a cherry picker get a engine leveler with the hand crank so you can adjust the engine angle as needed. I like using four chains attached to the front and back to the cylinder heads.
      4. Nothing special about pulling a LS. Take the front accessories off the front. Remove the headers or exhaust manifolds. Tag the wires as you remove them to make the reinstall easier. Bell housing and TC bolts. Motor mount bolts.
      5. I like to get the car up on jack stands to get some clearance for the cherry picker wheels.

Great, thanks guy!!!!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com