Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Rear end options

I currently have a '69 Firebird with LS2, T-56 McLeod RSX twin disc.
      looking for some direction on rear end upgrades.
      I currently have a stock 10 bolt with GM limited slip diff and 4.10 gear.
      Discovered I have a slightly bent axle at the hub end.

My plan is to supercharge the engine and get to 600 rwhp range.
      I could get by just swapping out the bent axle,but ultimately will need forged axles a stronger diff and a more suitable gear ratio.

Should I even bother with the 10 bolt,or just upgrade to a 9" now?
      Budget is a bit of a concern as I will likely spend $6k on a LSA blower upgrade.

Anyone know of any deals on a lightly used built rear end?

Country Flag: United States
      My opinion, do a 9".
      If you don't go crazy, you can get one for like $2800-3800, all new.
      If you're not tracking the car, a 10 bolt will suffice with that power.. But, C clipped rears aren't worth the money unless you find a deal on an already modified one or something.

-Dale
      Pro Touring Store: Your parts source for all things Pro Touring! We have the best prices & service from suspension, to crate engine packages, to billet accessories and much more!
      www.ProTouringStore.com
      (Not affiliated with Pro-Touring.com)

Maybe an 8.5” 10 bolt? They are getting rare but still out there if you are patient.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quick Performance 9" - best bang for the $$' 10k on mine with zero issues.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Maybe an 8.5” 10 bolt? They are getting rare but still out there if you are patient.

Don
      I currently have an 8.5" corporate 10 bolt,GM limited slip diff,and 4.10 gear.
      It has been painted with automotive quality gloss black paint and has a T/A performance billet cover with pinion brace.

Maybe I'll just upgrade/replace the bent axle and hunt for a used "built" 9 inch in the meantime??
      I just missed out on a Currie 9 listed on here a month ago for $1000.

Country Flag: Canada
      Harleydave I'm running an 8.5 10-bolt in my 69 Camaro. Also a GM limited slip.Upgraded to Moser axles,T/A Performance billet cover. 3.90 gears with 406 SBC making 450-460 at crank through a T-56.If you're putting big horsepower down the Ford 9 is the way to go. If you track the car definitely Ford 9 but some spirited street driving that 8.5 will take that all day long.Been running this setup for 7 years now without a blip...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pratt View Post
      Harleydave I'm running an 8.5 10-bolt in my 69 Camaro. Also a GM limited slip.Upgraded to Moser axles,T/A Performance billet cover. 3.90 gears with 406 SBC making 450-460 at crank through a T-56.If you're putting big horsepower down the Ford 9 is the way to go. If you track the car definitely Ford 9 but some spirited street driving that 8.5 will take that all day long.Been running this setup for 7 years now without a blip...
      Thanks,I decided to just replace the bent axle and drive it for a while.
      I'll probably upgrade to a 9" with a 3.50/3.73 gear when I upgrade to the supercharger.

9" hands down. You can buy a Moser Engineering full floating axle rear end starting at $2876. I actually wish this package had been available when I was building Dust Off it would have saved me a lot of time and fabrication headaches.

https://www.moserengineering.com/9-F...d-Package.item

Depending on your T56 OD ratios you will want to rethink the rear end gear ratio. I'm running a T56 with .74 5th and .50 6th OD ratio, I have a 3.89 rear gear and it works great. I could also see where a 4.10 would work as well since I rarely get into 6th.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

My LS2/T-56 is from an '05-06 GTO.
      Looks like it's a 2.97 1st gear with a .057 6th gear.
      Currently running a 25.7" rear tire with 4.10 rear gear.
      1st gear is very short and almost useless at WOT.
      I can only imagine what it would be like with an additional 150-200 hp.

I've had good luck with Strange Engineering.
      They make 12 bolts, 60's & 9" rears to suit your needs.

One nice thing you can do is ask for the Mopar style leaf spring brackets, instead of the U-shaped GM ones.
      Pair this with a set of Caltracs & U-bolts & you have a good combination.

I cringed when & saw the 2.97 low... with a super charger, you may be better off with 3.42's or something similar.

I just removed my 4.10's when I supercharged my LS3 & I have a 2.66 low with 27.5" tires.
      I needed 5th gear in the Quarter & traction was always an issue in 1st.

The 3.54's are way better. (lowest numerically you can get in a S60). Thats an equivalent of 2.92 gears with your tires/1st gear trans ratio for comparison.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com