Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Anyone Have First Hand Experience Full Frames??

Hey guys just picked up my next project a 71 Barracuda. Planning to put a hellcat, tr6060 and I was thinking to do a full frame. I’m considering Schwartz Performance with IRS, Speedtech with IRS, Art Morrison with IRS and possibly Heidts ProG with IRS.

Schwartz I like because it doesn’t need any floor mods. Don’t like it because for the price I feel like it should have C7 hubs.

Speedtech seems to be a great kit and I like that they have prefabbed panels for engine bay and to cover the IRS. They use C7 hubs. I dislike that it only comes with high mount IRS like cantilever. Looks cool but it’ll be covered up when trunk upholstery is done.

Art Morrison looks nice on pics and I reached out to their sales team for info on instructions and what’s involved in floor mods etc. No response, probably not a good sign.

Heidts is more of a budget kit and it’s not really a full frame just has subframe connectors connecting front subframe to rear. But I really love the ride quality of the IRS in my 69 Camaro. I feel like the Heidts kit is most comparable to the Schwartz chassis for $10k+ cheaper.

Roadster shop seamen’s like a clear choice but I really don’t want to cut the whole floor out and start from scratch.

I welcome people’s first hand experience with Schwartz, Speedtech, Art Morrison or any other suggestions.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      I had an Art Morrison IRS in my 69 Camaro. Not a full frame but with their weld in rear subframe, front subframe and weld in subframe connectors it was as good as or better than a full frame. JRI coilovers. It was hands down the best riding first gen I have experienced. But yes their recent response to email is awful. Phone is pretty good in my experience.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks Don, amazingly quick response! Got it, you live the AME. How important you think are the c7 hubs? I just think if I’m spending so much money it should have latest tech not spindles from the 60’s. Also Schwartz most caster is 4 deg same as Heidts. Speedtech and AME is 6-8. Just seems like Schwartz and Heidts not a huge upgrade and the price difference between the Schwartz and Heidts is pretty considerable.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Thanks Don, amazingly quick response! Got it, you live the AME. How important you think are the c7 hubs? I just think if I’m spending so much money it should have latest tech not spindles from the 60’s. Also Schwartz most caster is 4 deg same as Heidts. Speedtech and AME is 6-8. Just seems like Schwartz and Heidts not a huge upgrade and the price difference between the Schwartz and Heidts is pretty considerable.
      Just about everything I have built had C6/C7 style spindles and hubs. It opens up the possibility of using OEM Corvette brakes which gives a lot of bang for the buck.

I recently chose to use a DSE front suspension clip on my 57 Buick wagon and the spindles were a contributing factor in the decision.

One of the other things I have learned is to avoid cheap poly bushings on control arms etc.

Hopefully Donny will chime in. He has some of the best advice out there.

Cool project BTW!

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks Don! On that list it would be RS or SpeedTech for me. With a pretty heavy bias to RS unless I needed the extra tire and wheel width up front.

Intended use, budget, and your capabilities all factor in to the right decision.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I try to steer clear of suspensions using the cheap Wilwood improved Mustang II spindles. Guys are gobbling up Roadster Shop Spec chassis with those spindles afaik but it’s a non starter for me. DSE has developed their own Corvette based spindle because of tight supply with Corvette spindles. Even Art Morrison is using the DSE spindles. Of course they also use the Wilwood in their lower cost options.

There is no free lunch imho…

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

RS only uses MII spindle on the spec and revo chassis. They are using C7 spindles on everything else.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Caster is infinitely adjustable on our Schwartz chassis, upper control arm shaft has a slotted adjustment and the lower strut tube is threaded with right and left hand threads for easy quick adjustment. You can run 12 degrees caster is you want.
      Normally set them at 2 to 4 on the cars we build.
      We make our own spindles, based on race car spindles. And long travel shocks engineered into a low ride height and wide track.
      That H company is mustang 2 based, they and most others run very short travel shocks.
      We are the only chassis using needle bearings in the control arms for friction free suspension travel and the ultimate in smooth ride.

Our E-Body Mopar chassis is one of our best selling products.
      We can also sell the chassis in stages, if you don't have the dough to buy the whole complete rolling deal at once.
      Oh, and our current lead time is about 6 weeks.
      Jeff Schwartz 815-770-0751
      SchwartzPerformance
      Where classic style meets modern performance.
      455 Commanche Circle
      Harvard IL 60033
      SchwartzPerformance.com | Facebook | Twitter

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com