Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

What carb set up would you run?

Okay, just tossing around ideas.

If you were not concerned about all out performance, and wanted a cool looking set up for the cruizes,

would you run,

a single 4 barrel Speed Demon on an Edelbrock RPM intake

or

4 500cfm Edelbrocks on an Edelbrock 2x4 lowrise( maybe add a spacer under each carb)

or

3 2 barrel Rochesters on a Tri Power reproduction aluminum intake?

Cost is not a factor.

2 - 4s always looks nice, and really should perform OK, although with that said, I always prey on multi carb cars with the street racer with just one carb

Uh, well this car wouldn't be raced, just a cruizer.

i really like my street avenger for the streets and it performs well..

we had a 502 w/2 4's, it was cool but didn't perform as well as the 850hp thats on it now, idles much better and part throttle cruising and accel is much better
      KENNY DAVIS HOTRODS

SO, I am guessing you would go with the single 4 then?

victor jr with a double pump 4 barrel demons are sweet looking

double pump 4 brl. I dont know if anyone makes a single split dominator intake, but that would be cool too.

jeff
      JEFF SHORTT
      -IDEAL STEEL

Country Flag: United States
      Tri-power. Surprising how many folks have never seen one.

Or for the Pontiac engine...

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

So sporter, I take it, you would go with the tri power?

If cost is not a factor, yes. The Poncho setup uses an aluminum intake and factory carbs for $1700. The Demon setup for sbc is $2300. I understand someone is working a Holley setup for the Poncho aluminum intake but I have not seen it yet.
      All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by sporter
      If cost is not a factor, yes. The Poncho setup uses an aluminum intake and factory carbs for $1700. The Demon setup for sbc is $2300. I understand someone is working a Holley setup for the Poncho aluminum intake but I have not seen it yet.

We're actually developing a Pontiac setup right now. Inital testing showed about 7 HP over a Performed RPM setup on a 461" engine. The Single 4bl was almost 50 better than an original Pontiac 3x2 with the 2GC carbs. Should be available late spring this year.

Depends who you're trying to impress. Too many people in the past have added dual carbs for the reason you're doing it. Since they're doing it for looks and not performance, it's usually overkill for their application (or they don't want to spend the effort tuning it in correctly), so the numbers don't back them up. Hence, a lot of racer guys are going to look at it and think "poser." Makes me feel bad for the guys running 2X4s, that know what they're doing.

The Tri-Powers get a bit more respect, and in Pontiac/Mopar world are even revered.

If you want more than one carb, I'd vote for the Tri-Power. And if setup correctly, you may be able to eek out a couple extra mpg.

P.S. A lot of women aren't going to give a fig how many carbs you have even if they're into cars. Get a nice paint job, shiny wheels and lots of underhood chrome if that's your audience.

One of my buddies run a tri power on his 70 440 'Cuda. PITA!! If you have any trouble properly adjusting 1 carb then do not even consider multiples. Besides, I think it clutters up the engine bay with extraneous carbs. Just go single and be done with it. If you really want wow or to be trendy go EFI. It works well and it is the hot thing right now.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Gotta agree with 69. If you want to impress these days, inject something that never came injected.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com