Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

70 Cuda Convertible Value?

Hey guys, I’m interested and have found a 70 Barracuda Convertible. Looking for opinions on a fair value for myself as well as the owner. The cars condition is that it’s a typical “barn find” hasn’t been on the road for 40+ years. Original paint and body panels. Supposedly only has surface rust on the floors. All other panels no rust. It’s a bare bones slant 6 cyl car with no options other than it being a convertible which is great for me. My intention is to obviously throw a full chassis, hellcat, tr6060 trans etc. The current owner bought a hemi shacker hood, rimbow steering wheel, and he has an original set of 15” rallye wheels. All that stuff comes with the car. Car currently has a 340 engine that needs rebuild. Owner said he has a ready to go 318 rebuilt engine, trans, exhaust to go with the car as well. He’s asking $45k for the whole package.

Im obviously not interested and have no need for the 15” rallye wheels, rimbow steering wheel, 340, 318, trans, and exhaust.

Your thoughts?

40k-45k sounds like a fair ballpark from your description, IMO. 35k would be a steal.
      The difference between an environmentalist and a developer is that a developer wants to build a house in the woods, an environmentalist already has one.

I love the power of the internet. I was able to find the previous owner of the car. Who was much more honest with the condition of the vehicle. It’s not a rust free car. He said there’s several patch panels already in the floors and some small sections of rust that needs to be patched most likely whole floor replaced if doing a quality restoration. The trunk also had rust and current owner fiberglassed and sprayed texture paint over it to hide the rust. There’s also rust rear quarters next to the wheel well on both sides. He said the area is small and is only on the outer quarter not inner so that can be patched. Front core support is rusted as well and needs replacement.

Worst of all he said the car was in a severe frontal accident whole front section was replaced with original panels but he can’t say for sure that the frame/car isn’t tweaked or bent. He said he’d take it to a frame shop to check it out.

Again for me those don’t sound like a huge deal to me because with most aftermarket frames the floors and trunk will need to be cut out. Quarter patches not concerned and core support is easy to replace. What’s concerning is that the car may be bent so it’ll be impossible to install the frame as the pickup point won’t align. Anyway obviously this diminishes the value of the vehicle. What would you say it’s worth now?

Country Flag: United States
      Mopar replacement sheet metal is in very short supply. A lot of it is unobtanium. Make sure you can get what you need before buying a Mopar project.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Check autotrader classic. There was one convertible on there that was converted to a street racer, and it's drivable, for 45K. It looks like it would be far cheaper and easier to put that one back to stock than to fix the one that's already in pieces. If you aren't stuck on a convertible they had plenty of decent looking drivers for less than 45K.

From the updated description, the value IMO would be more like 4500, not 45K. For 45K in the condition described, it would need to be one of the special models like "1 of 12" instead of a 6 cyl base model.

On the missing metal, I watched a show on Horsepower TV that talked about some guy in Tennessee that has a Mopar salvage yard loaded with 60s/70s models. Sorry, don't recall the town or name, but the guy had acres of them including a bunch of shipping containers that had complete rebuildable cars.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Is this the convertible from autotrader you were talking about?

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...cuda/101778941

Country Flag: Canada
      I think the current seller is definitely misrepresenting the car and trying to use the current market/barn find hype to get more than it's worth. Be glad you talked to the previous owner. I would pass or want a much deeper discount after pointing out the flaws if you go to see the car.

FYI, Hagerty's valuation guide lists a 1970 convertible with a 318 in #4 or fair condition as being worth around $27,500. #4 means it runs and drives. This car sounds worse and obviously the Slant 6 cars are worth less too.
      Short and wide 1965 GMC 910.

I schedule a PPI that way there’s no misrepresentation of the car. It also gives a professional opinion. I don’t think Hagerty price is right. You can’t find 70-71 convertibles. A coupe in fair condition is worth $27k not a convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Is this the convertible from autotrader you were talking about?

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...cuda/101778941
      This is the one I saw. Autotrader has a Barracuda and a Cuda tag, I was looking under Barracuda.

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...cuda/101861811
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      This is the one I saw. Autotrader has a Barracuda and a Cuda tag, I was looking under Barracuda.

https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...cuda/101861811

Thanks! I messaged him

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com