Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Transmission cooling lines hard/braided

Hello, I am installing a 200R4 into my 1968 Firebird. I am getting close to the cooling lines and adding a transmission cooler. I would prefer to not run the cooling through the radiator.
      The transmission that I removed was a turbo 400. The stainless cooling lines are still in the car and might be able to make them work but I think it would be difficult to get them to fit correctly. Since I want to run a separate cooler the lines do not really end in a very good spot. One is high and the other is low from the original locations on the radiator. Just wanted to get an idea of what other people have run for lines. I see a couple of kits where you get two braided lines to run from the transmission to the new cooler. Is this my best option??

On my LS/4L60E swaps I run -6 SS lines. Easy to route. I buy bulk -6 lines and fitting as needed. Lots of rubber lined clamps to keep the hose secure. If you are buying a new external trans cooler get one with NPT inlet/outlet so you can use -6 adapters. Couple of pics.Name:  IMG_0561.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  469.4 KBName:  IMG_0560.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  385.7 KB

Country Flag: United States
      69 Camaro, 7004R Aeroquip -6 AN and fittings.

Name:  12374734533_562b0318c4_o.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  37.0 KB

Then trough a remote filter into a BeCool radiator. Could just as easily go to external cooler, but this works well. Using a trans temp gauge and it's always within limits.

Name:  11883746836_ee49740e28_o.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  54.6 KB
      Don 67 Camaro RS/SS Texas

Country Flag: United States
      You can easily run rubber or AN hose to and from.

I've also made hard lines around the oil pan and/or crossmembers and used compression type AN fitting adapters to connect the front and back. Especially if it could get close to say, the flexplate, starter, exhaust, etc.

-Dale
      Pro Touring Store: Your parts source for all things Pro Touring! We have the best prices & service from suspension, to crate engine packages, to billet accessories and much more!
      www.ProTouringStore.com
      (Not affiliated with Pro-Touring.com)

Look into stainless braided Teflon lines. They last much longer than rubber & are also thinner in diameter for easier routing.

Thank you for the suggestions. Looks like I will be running braided lines to a cooler that has AN fittings. I really wanted to stay away from hose clamps.

Just a note I do find the teflon lined -6 hose is easier to assemble compared to the rubber lined -6 hose. The teflon lined -6 hose and fittings are a bit more expensive.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com