Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Automatic starting

On Most modern cars, you just turn and release the key and your starter engages and stays engaged for a set time limit or until the car starts as opposed to the key keeping the starter solenoid engaged only when the key is in the start position. They also prevent the starter from engaging if the engine is running. I’m not exactly sure what you call that, but I’d like to try and duplicate it on my 69 Camaro. I’m close to starting my wiring and now would be a good time.

I believe any of the push button start modules could do it but I don’t want to eliminate my key or deal with RF id. I haven’t found anything yet I can modify. It could be done with a couple relays if there is an “engine running” signal to control a relay. I think most systems probably use a tach signal to the microprocessor to generate a run signal output that disengages the relay that controls the starter solenoid.

Has anyone done this or something similar? I feel like there is something off the shelf, I just haven’t found it. I plan to do remote entry but I’m not looking for remote start. And I’m still on the fence about an alarm system. I’m not sure they would prevent a theft but might wake me up in a hotel so I could. So if you have input on an alarm and/or remote entry system you like please let me know.

thanks
      Mike
      Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

Don't know the answer but I would guess the starter solenoid signal is controlled by the ECM in newer cars and its canceled by the same when it senses something like RPM or O2 sensor reading at a target value. That said, here's a video of someone who has done it on a 69 camaro, but no information on the set up.
      https://www.facebook.com/12voltsolut...2568795224165/

On edit, here's a discussion on a Miata forum about the start cycle where the RPM is the trigger in the ECM
      https://www.miataturbo.net/megasquir...g-60320/page2/

Try this one. I used it on a 68 Camaro and it worked pretty well with an LS1. One tap was usually enough to kick it on. This module doesn't have RFID but they're hard to find. Most of the modules have the RFID.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184487648241

Alex

Thanks for the input guys. I haven’t had much couch time lately for searching, but I did find a module from KP technologies that I think would do exactly what I want. But they seem to have gone out of business unfortunately, at least I can’t find a distributor for them. It is a push button start control module that monitors the tach signal to disable the system when the engine is running. I’m sure there are others. Using the start output from the ignition key will be an easy change to any push button start system. I plan on integrating keyless entry so I’m sure my best solution will be a push start/keyless entry module that I can just modify for use with a key.

Mike
      69 Camaro - In the Works

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com