Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

81 Camaro Rattle rap

I bought this Z28 for my wife last spring. She loves it, I hate it. Its a nice low mileage original car, never really been messed with. I have done some nice updates like new tires, restored the wheels, tune up, some engine bay detail etc.
      I have some new Koni shocks and want to try and make it a little more liveable, but would like to hear from others before getting too far into it.

The issue is that the car is an absolute rattle trap. Going over bumps its harsh and sounds like its about to completely fall apart. Suspension bushing all look good, shocks are unknown, but not leaking, tire pressures are correct and running tall sidewall correct size. The noise sounds like its mostly coming from the dash and body, and of course a little from the T tops. With the T tops removed, it's a little better, but also sounds like a cracking noise coming from somewhere.

Has anyone ever built one of these and been able to get that under control and make the driving experience enjoyable? I mean without going full roadster shop chassis?

Name:  IMG_1108.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  361.2 KB
      72 firebird , SD performance 464" 455,KRE D ports, EZ EFI,Dougs 1 3/4,3.5" custom oval exhaust,TKO600,Kore 3 C5/C6,DSE subframes,Full cage by Radical Rides(Thanks Dave,Johnny,Campbell,Bill,Lee and Gabby!!)

Country Flag: United States
      solid body bushings, frame connectors, new hinges or rebuild, door windows, T-Top seals dried out.
      Check the top of the rear end for signs of bump stop contact, don't forget the pinion snubber, also check the front bump stops/ jounce bumpers, check the frame for signs of contact, put chalk on the bump stops and let her drive it a couple days and check.
      Rubber bushing may look ok but may not be.
      Rubber bushings have no moving parts (or should not) and add to spring rate as they age they loose tension/rate combine that with too soft factory springs and bottoming out is easy to do.

https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Country Flag: United States
      I love it too, friends had a couple in the 80's well, it IS a T-top car, everyone complained about them back then too,

But, like he ^^^^^^ said, start looking at all the rubber, maybe its all tired, but as I remember every 1st gen I owned were the same to an extent, depends how bad they were beat!
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com