Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

fuel tank for carb'd 69 camaro

I plan on road racing my non efi camaro. About ~650 hp. The build is still on going and I havent started any of the fuel system stuff yet. I have dse mini tubs. What would you recommend for a tank and pump, etc?

Are you going to use a fuel cell or a standard tank?

I would still use an EFI tank/cell set up with an electric pump. You can use a bypass regulator and then you won't have to reengineer the fuel system to go to EFI later. Bonus points for getting a rock solid fuel system in the interim.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

This above

Ok thanks for the response. My initial concerns were fuel slosh and spillage. Is a fuel cell the only way to eliminate this? Could you recommend something that wouldnt be over the top for me? Thx

Define "road racing." If you are actually racing, wheel to wheel with a high probability of getting punted of the track, you should really use a cell.

If you are talking about track days then the DSE tank should do everything you want.
      Donny

Does the DSE tank keep the fuel and vapor inside the tank? I mean there are no odors coming into the passenger area at all? Have you heard anything about fuel blocks that you stuff into your tank to prevent sloshing? Holleys hydramat?

Yeah I dont think I want to race wheel to wheel with anyone just yet. I definitely want to take it to the track. I just want something that can deal with the hard cornering, braking, acceleration yknow.

thanks for you time

I am not aware of any fuel tank that will keep the vapors in the tank. The fuel tank needs to breathe and you need to supply it with a well thought out venting system for that to happen.
      Donny

I'm running a Tanks Inc / Holley fuel tank in my chevelle. The baffling / sump have never left me starving for fuel, but there's normally gas coming out of the vents. I've been trying to find a burp tank for the vent or cobbling up my own, just not overly concerned about it to take the car off the road and deal with it.

There are burp tank / fuel/air separators on the market you can purchase to help. If you're worried about fuel smell in your garage you can put a charcoal canister on the vent to get rid of the smell.

Even contemplated using marine separator and charcoal filter on my car, but I don't have the height needed for the vent.

https://www.perko.com/catalog/fills_...uel_separator/

..this one is new, might be a contender..

https://www.perko.com/catalog/fuel_s...ompact_design/

charcoal canister for fuel vapor smell

https://www.perko.com/catalog/fuel_s...rbon_canister/
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      I'm running a Tanks Inc / Holley fuel tank in my chevelle. The baffling / sump have never left me starving for fuel, but there's normally gas coming out of the vents. I've been trying to find a burp tank for the vent or cobbling up my own, just not overly concerned about it to take the car off the road and deal with it.

There are burp tank / fuel/air separators on the market you can purchase to help. If you're worried about fuel smell in your garage you can put a charcoal canister on the vent to get rid of the smell.

Even contemplated using marine separator and charcoal filter on my car, but I don't have the height needed for the vent.

https://www.perko.com/catalog/fills_...uel_separator/

..this one is new, might be a contender..

https://www.perko.com/catalog/fuel_s...ompact_design/

charcoal canister for fuel vapor smell

https://www.perko.com/catalog/fuel_s...rbon_canister/
      Unless you are running a fuel cell in the trunk, it seems like there should be plenty of height available in any car for one of those marine canisters.

Thanks for the Perko links. There is a video in the first one that perfectly explains tank venting and filling. Lots of good information in there. Especially the air pocket to be left at the top of the tank to keep from pushing fuel out the vent system.

The baffling / sump have never left me starving for fuel
      Yeah the sump in the tanks tank is okay but remember that anything keeps fuel in will also keep it out, and there in lies the problem with a sump well in the middle of the tank. They are fine when they are full....ish. Corner pickups are the better solution here. The larger reason for baffling is to keep 60 pounds of fuel from slamming side to side in the tank.......the taller the tank, the worse that problem is.
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      Unless you are running a fuel cell in the trunk, it seems like there should be plenty of height available in any car for one of those marine canisters.
      Not sure the camaro is too different from my chevelle in this aspect. I was referring to the incline/available space between top of tank and beginning of vent loop mounted in trunk on inner wheelwell housing. I could mount all of this on the wheel well but just for piece of mind don't want fuel hose fittings sitting exposed in the trunk. I get stupid with the car sometimes and things in the trunk come detached and slide around. All this is avoidable / easy solutions, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Thanks for the Perko links. There is a video in the first one that perfectly explains tank venting and filling. Lots of good information in there. Especially the air pocket to be left at the top of the tank to keep from pushing fuel out the vent system.

Yeah the sump in the tanks tank is okay but remember that anything keeps fuel in will also keep it out, and there in lies the problem with a sump well in the middle of the tank. They are fine when they are full....ish. Corner pickups are the better solution here. The larger reason for baffling is to keep 60 pounds of fuel from slamming side to side in the tank.......the taller the tank, the worse that problem is.
      You're welcome, I started seeing what options I had available with my setup after reading through all that as well. Found this stuff back in November.. The return line feeds the sump in the tank, only time the car has starved for fuel is when it was completely empty. BUT, I've had several "tank slapper" episodes in my car, would love to have a cell instead of a larger than factory tank hanging back by the rear bumper. You're 60 lb statement is too true.

*Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com