Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

digi-tails troubleshooting

I purchased some digi-tails years back from their website for my 73 firebird and finally getting around to installing them. Been trying to get in touch with them to get some help troubleshooting an issue but zero luck. I'm hoping somebody on here might have an idea what is going on or if they are faulty.

Both turn signals flash (driver & passenger) at the same time no matter if the lever is switched to left or right. The Ididit steering column is putting out the correct signal for each from the column.

I checked the signals at each rear taillight plug and I'm getting this below.

turn signal lever neutral produces this on both sides (no signals on)
      orange - power
      black - ground
      yellow - ground
      green - ground
      brown - ground

turn signal lever left produces this on both sides
      orange -power
      black - ground
      yellow - power flashing
      green - ground flashing
      brown - power flashing

turn signal lever right produces this on both sides
      orange - power
      black - ground
      yellow - ground flashing
      green - power flashing
      brown - power flashing

I have the driver's side wired to the passenger like the instructions suggest (diagram below) but how does it differentiate between driver/passenger when they are wired together like this? Thanks

Name:  digi.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  76.6 KB
      Cheers
      Dustin

Did they work with incandescent bulbs? I ended up using a electronic flasher with a dedicated ground to get mine to work.

I thought the same thing on the wiring. Doesn't seem like it would work but it does.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

The car has new wiring so I went up with all led bulbs at the time and the led digi panels for the tails. I'm using a no load electronic led flasher with the ground wire. The flasher seems to be doing its job and flashing, but I'm just getting both lights flashing at the same time no matter if the signal lever is set to left turn or right. I guess in my head i was thinking this might happen seeing the wiring diagram, unless something is suppose to be happening in each led panel to tell one not to fire. In that case, I don't think that is happening.
      Cheers
      Dustin

Do the fronts flash as well? Try removing the front bulbs and see what happens. I had a friend with a similar issue but using incandescent bulbs. Turns out he had a bad bulb that was shorting out and making the parking lights flash. You can also try unhooking one side at a time on the rears and see if the issue goes away. Oh yeah check the grounds on both sides as well. Keep us updated on what you find.

Alex

Problems like this are usually caused by bad grounds. Check every one, front and back.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

The fronts are flashing also, same deal. I have a couple of terminal blocks mounted that I'm using for grounding that read correctly on a meter. Will poke around some more this weekend and try some more testing. Maybe it is a weird bulb. Will test some more. Thanks guys
      Cheers
      Dustin

Rechecked all the grounds and they were all solid. Ran a test on the signal switch and all signals are coming out like it should. I started pulling bulbs all around the car and testing but didn't really get anywhere with it. I'm going to try different led bulbs around the car. Ran across a video of one guy showing how some led bulbs don't work like a diode and can cause back feed to the other side. Got me wondering if that is the issue. Looks like his bulbs are even the same as mine, so ordered some new ones to try.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_x8hhbYxSA
      Cheers
      Dustin

Pull all the bulbs except for the taillights and see what happens.

Alex

LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. Not sure if that's your culprit. Diodes are basically one way streets for current flow. I may be missing something but...

All the wiring is new? Is the steering column new / has it been tested before? I recently wired up a 53 GMC show truck with a new flaming river column and the turn signal switch was bad right out of the box. To verify I picked up a random turn signal switch from napa and plugged it in to the wiring harness. Truck came to me mostly assembled but I had to do wiring bumper to bumper with a LOT of unknowns. Used a brand new painless universal truck harness and was going absolutely NUTS trying to figure out why the turn signals weren't operating correctly.

*EDIT* Watched part of the video, and yes if you're using cheap amazon LED bulbs, that could possible be the culprit. As others above have mentioned, pull all the bulbs and just connect digitails to rule them out.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

The bulbs seem to be the culprit. I'm not sure where I originally got them since the project got shelved for a long stretch, but apparently they were not good ones. I thought I had pulled all the bulbs besides the led tail panels when testing, but looking last night one of the front signal bulbs was still in sitting outside its housing. Pulled that one and the tail lights work fine. Put it back in and the tail lights blink both sides.

Man, all the loops i went through trying to figure this one out and it was a bulb, go figure. Thanks guys!
      Cheers
      Dustin

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com