Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Please HELP finding a discontinued Holley 534-216 Throttle Body

Hi Guys - it's unreal to me that I cannot find this discontinued Holley 534-216 Throttle Body *anywhere*.

So what's the big deal? I have decided to run this TorqStorm twin supercharger package on my Rocket Racing block based 540 Olds:

I am planning on boosting the wee out this build, as the bottom end will be able to take most anything I can throw at it. Pushing all of that boost through one 950 CFM throttle body will work, but adding a second matching throttle body to this low profile dual quad intake will definitely make the most of the induction side of the system:

I already have one of these throttle bodies from my 550-407 Terminator system, but am going bananas trying to locate a second one:

This is going to be an E85 build, so atomizing the fuel in bases of these throttle bodies with Holley's patented laser drilled annular distribution right below the throttle butterflies will provide a major intake charge cooling effect as opposed to just going with port fuel injectors.

Soooo.... HELP !!! I need to network across all of my connections to find one of these recently discontinued throttle bodies. The 534-216 provides the complete throttle body with the fuel injectors, while the 534-227 provides the throttle body without the injectors. I will throw in a $100 finders fee for anybody that can scare one of these up for me in nice shape (seriously!). I spent hours on the phone calling all around the country and zero / zip / zilch / nada. Certainly somebody couldn't get one to run right and has removed it, or maybe it's the other way around where everybody that has one is loving it and doesn't want to come up off of it. Holley's new replacement for this TB is what looks like a complete classic Holley carb. I get it, but this would force me to obtain two of these and mount them sideways, taking up a lot of space and creating a considerable amount of linkage games. If I'm understanding correctly, the "new and improved" Holley carb looking TB's also put the fuel at the tops of the throttle butterflies instead of the bottoms - go figure, basically an electronic carburetor, which seems like a step backwards... Maybe I need to hunt down a complete Holley Terminator EFI fuel injection Systems 550-405 just to score this polished throttle body I need, then sell off the rest of then system components I don't need. I'll bet this complete system is now also not available - sigh...

Summary? I really need to find one of these throttle bodies. If I can't, it will force me to weld in PFI bungs, which isn't the end of the world, though I feel I would lose the major intake air charge cooling effects of atomizing the E85 right at the bases of the throttle bodies with the very cool laser drilled annular discharge right below the butterflies.

There are a LOT of online listings showing these throttle bodies available, but I spent just over half a day calling all of these companies and getting "sorry bud, these are out of stock". Take 'em off the damn websites would ya then? Sigh...

There IS a difference - Thank you for choosing Hydratech!

Paul M. Clark
      Founder / Master Engineer

Hydratech Braking Systems ®
      www.hydratechbraking.com

Country Flag: United States
      It’s a shame Holley discontinued that throttle body. They have much better clearance than the fake carburetor looking throttle bodies. You are right about the annular booster/injector location being under the throttle blades. Holley should have made this throttle body with the locator notch like many carburetors have. I would venture to say it would have been installed on a lot more cars with factory air cleaners.

What about this place it says in stock?

https://www.efisystempro.com/throttl...lished-534-216

John

You are going to run a blow through into that intake with those injectors???? Dude, you asking for a problem with that setup. I know what bottom end you have, that's a serious piece. Don't fool yourself into thinking that setup will remotely work with that intake. Even more, that intake can work with what you want to do, but you basically have to gut the intake and remove the internal divider and the runner entry points will need lots of work. I have ported those intakes before, they can work, but need lots of time on them to fix all the bad engineering and poor casting. That being said, for what you want to do, send that intake out and have it converted to direct port injection with 8 injectors and dedicated fuel rails. I can direct you to someone who can do it right, if you need. Just trust me when I say you so far better off doing a direct injection setup on that than any sort of blow through, it's not even worth the effort. The tuning will be infinitely easier and the motor will live. Trying to do it the way you are thinking will have horrible fuel distribution and it may just go "pop" if you run a cyl or 2 that lean. All that being said, a single 4150 throttle body on a blow through will support 2000hp in the right combo, just not with that injector set-up. I am happy to help you with a combo, DM if you have questions. You need to post this on a dedicated engine forum, like Yellowbullet or Speedtalk. Hardly anyone here is going to know how to help you with that combo.

Always do the work...

Yes, I have called every place on the internet that shows they have these throttle bodies in stock online - almost a whole day, with them all going "hmmm, suppose we ought to eliminate that listing from our website as it is no longer available"...

In as far as the intake, yes, I have battled many of these now ancient design Offy dual quad intakes before as you have mentioned. It's a lot of work, but I have gotten them all whipped into shape properly, with myself covered from head to toe in aluminum cuttings / dust! I am a little surprised to hear that you feel fuel distribution will still be an issue despite having the annular discharge Holley throttle bodies. Yes, they're going to need some considerably larger injectors, that's for sure. After doing a pot load of these Offy dual quad intakes successfully running Carter AFB's over the years, I have found fuel distribution to be pretty darned good (once I have put hours and hours into massaging these intakes). A much more controlled homogenous mixture from the Holley throttle bodies would provide a very large intake charge cooling effect running E85, though should be even enough to fill the whole plenum up with the evenly distributed "fuel fog" from both TB's. Do you feel that strongly that I should TIG in some PFI bungs and forego the injectors in the throttle bodies? If I do that, maybe I could at least set the remaining throttle body injectors to run the methanol injection and possibly work with some nitrous fueling down the road. Hmmm...
      There IS a difference - Thank you for choosing Hydratech!

Paul M. Clark
      Founder / Master Engineer

Hydratech Braking Systems ®
      www.hydratechbraking.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hydratech® View Post
      Yes, I have called every place on the internet that shows they have these throttle bodies in stock online - almost a whole day, with them all going "hmmm, suppose we ought to eliminate that listing from our website as it is no longer available"...

In as far as the intake, yes, I have battled many of these now ancient design Offy dual quad intakes before as you have mentioned. It's a lot of work, but I have gotten them all whipped into shape properly, with myself covered from head to toe in aluminum cuttings / dust! I am a little surprised to hear that you feel fuel distribution will still be an issue despite having the annular discharge Holley throttle bodies. Yes, they're going to need some considerably larger injectors, that's for sure. After doing a pot load of these Offy dual quad intakes successfully running Carter AFB's over the years, I have found fuel distribution to be pretty darned good (once I have put hours and hours into massaging these intakes). A much more controlled homogenous mixture from the Holley throttle bodies would provide a very large intake charge cooling effect running E85, though should be even enough to fill the whole plenum up with the evenly distributed "fuel fog" from both TB's. Do you feel that strongly that I should TIG in some PFI bungs and forego the injectors in the throttle bodies? If I do that, maybe I could at least set the remaining throttle body injectors to run the methanol injection and possibly work with some nitrous fueling down the road. Hmmm...

I'll say this, considering how much you have invested in the bottom-end of that killer Olds, I would do the individual injectors and rail for sure. I understand your theory in basically having the whole plenum filled with atomized fuel, but it's not really the same going from 500-600hp NA suck through application to a pressurized 1200hp+application. I have done a blow through FItech TBI on a 383sbc I built a while back and it made 700whp with a totally wrong combo, but the whole blower setup was an afterthought and I never would have done it that way had I known the customer was even considering that. As far as running the fuel in the TB at all, for the secondary systems you have in mind, it's a possibility, but even then, I would just run a second individual fuel rail/injector setup like a Holley Low Ram. The control it gives is worth it.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com