Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Mounting wilwood under dash pedal assembly

Good evening everyone,

I am mounting a wilwood pedal assembly under dash in a 1939 Chevy. I made a pedal box out of some plate steel. Now I have to mount it the firewall. My question is, if I weld 4 studs to the firewall and mount the pedal box to that, will that be substantial enough to hold the pedal bracket? Thank you.

Can you post some pics? I don't think this is going to work very well but lets see what you have.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I used a tilton floor mounted pedal assembly, something else to consider. The floor of any car is usually more than rigid enough for that and you don’t have to fight with the steering column for room on the firewall
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

39 Chevy was floor mounted stock....sort of. The pedal assembly is mounted to the frame but it doesn't leave a lot of room for different transmissions or exhaust.
      Donny

For comfort and looks we are trying to go with the hung version instead of floor mount. The stock setup is in the way of the exhaust etc. I forgot to mention in the original post that I’m going to put as big of a plate as I can and weld it to the under dash part of the firewall to stiffen it before I would try and mount the pedal. I would like some sort of bolt or stud to hold the bracket so it can be removed. Also I don’t want any pass though bolts because the fire wall is getting smoothed. I will get pictures when I can, I haven’t been able to get to the shop.

Is this a reverse mount setup with the masters inside the car? In that case do not weld to the firewall at all. 1" square is plenty. Run some square tubing across the firewall, full width and weld it into the cowl on both ends. Ideally two pieces and put your pedal mounting plate on those. Then the most important part is to rigidly tie it back to the dash where the column mounts.

The real issue you are going to have is that the wilwood pedals aren't really long enough for the car so you will end up with the master cylinders pretty low. It probably won't work at all if the master cylinders are mounting in the engine compartment.

These are my go to when converting anything to swing pedals. https://kugelkomponents.com/product-...d-accessories/
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Is this a reverse mount setup with the masters inside the car? In that case do not weld to the firewall at all. 1" square is plenty. Run some square tubing across the firewall, full width and weld it into the cowl on both ends. Ideally two pieces and put your pedal mounting plate on those. Then the most important part is to rigidly tie it back to the dash where the column mounts.

The real issue you are going to have is that the wilwood pedals aren't really long enough for the car so you will end up with the master cylinders pretty low. It probably won't work at all if the master cylinders are mounting in the engine compartment.

These are my go to when converting anything to swing pedals. https://kugelkomponents.com/product-...d-accessories/
      sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, it’s a reverse swing dual master setup with the masters under dash. I agree, the setup is short. I’ve honestly been thinking about lengthening the pedal a couple of inches. I know it will change the ratio, but I do think it will be a draw back.

I’ll take a look mounting the way you suggested, I like that thought a lot. I just need to see if it is feasible with all the cowl vent linkages in the way. Thank you!

if I can get a buyer for my wilwood setup, I might switch to a kugel setup

Name:  072787E9-C360-4CA1-84B0-D958002A041D.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  482.3 KBName:  AD3014D4-B54C-4385-94B1-3961363B32AF.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  426.5 KBName:  A56C6EAA-D4AA-48E1-A5DE-8FAC1E5D7CE7.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  448.0 KB
      Can you post some pics? I don't think this is going to work very well but lets see what you have.

thanks for the link, I ordered a new pedal setup from kugel!

Sorry I missed the picture post when it went up but you are on the right track now.

Donny

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com