Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

PWM Controllers- What are they?

Hey guys, I just finished up a blog article over on our Creative Werks Inc. Website, as we just released our new configurable pwm Controller. I thought it may be a good resource to put into the forums, I edited this a bit to limit the amount of "sales" links but regardless just want to educate the masses a bit more about PWM controller and what they can be used for.

What are PWM Controllers?
      Brushed DC motors are some of the most commonly used electric motors, found in a wide range of applications from electronic cooling fans to electronic fuel pumps. These motors are simple and reliable, but their speed and torque can be difficult to control with traditional on/off switches. That’s where a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM Controller)
      comes in. By using a PWM controller with a brushed motor, you can achieve finer control over the motor’s speed and torque, resulting in a more efficient and effective system.

The PWM controller works by rapidly switching the voltage to the motor on and off at a fixed frequency. The duty cycle of the signal determines the amount of time the voltage is on versus off, which in turn controls the average voltage supplied to the motor. In contrast, a standard on/off switch simply connects and disconnects the motor from the power supply, resulting in a fixed voltage and limited control over the motor’s speed.

So, what are the benefits of using a PWM controller with a brushed motor? Let's take a closer look.

Greater control over speed and torque
      One of the main advantages of using a PWM controller with a brushed motor is the ability to achieve greater control over the motor's speed and torque. By adjusting the duty cycle of the PWM signal, you can precisely control the amount of power delivered to the motor. This can be especially useful in applications where precise speed control is necessary, such as preemptive cooling with fans, maintaining constant fuel pressure with multiple fuel pumps, and a skew of other applications.

Energy Efficiency
      Another benefit of using a PWM controller with a brushed motor is energy efficiency. Because the PWM signal controls the average voltage delivered to the motor, you can reduce the voltage when less power is needed, resulting in less energy consumption. This can lead to significant energy savings over time in OEM applications, especially in applications where the motor runs for extended periods of time.

Reduced wear and tear
      Using a PWM controller with a brushed motor can also help reduce wear and tear on the motor. When a motor is started with a standard on/off switch, it experiences a sudden surge of power that can cause excessive wear and tear on the motor's components. By using our PWM controller the voltage is gradually ramped up, reducing stress on the motor and extending its lifespan.

Reduced heat generation
      Finally, using a PWM controller with a brushed motor can help reduce heat generation. Because the voltage is switched on and off rapidly, the motor spends less time operating at full power, which can reduce heat generation and help keep the motor cool. This can be especially important in applications where the motor is located in a confined space or where heat buildup can be a safety hazard.

Real World Automotive Applications

Cooling Fans
      First up we have brushed fans, now there is a huge debate between brushed and brushless fans and whether or not your pro-touring car needs it. (note that the major difference between them is brushless fans have the capability to run variable speed but you pay a premium for those fans) in most street car // hotrod applications the need for brushless fans isn't required, that's where the brushed fans and the PWM controller come in.

With a PWM controller like ours at Creative Werks // CWI Performance, the controller allows you to control over fan speeds. This control allows you to be able to proactively cool the engine and under hood temps. In addition you can allow the motor to soft start and ramp up in speed, in comparison to hitting the fan with a a hard ON load. Dependent on the specific controller you choose you may be able to control multiple fans and have external override switches in place for A/C override or toggle switches.

Electronic Fuel Pumps

PWM controllers can also be used to control fuel pumps in vehicles. With a PWM controller, you can have greater control over the speed of the fuel pump, resulting in a more efficient fuel delivery system. Something to note when you're looking at purchasing a PWM controller is its capability to handle a variety of output frequency. Dependent on your application (whether it be fans, fuel pumps, or other DC Motors) is going to dictate what frequency you will want to use. Failure to select the wrong operating frequency can put premature wear on your electric motor. It is often best practice to contact the manufacturer prior to running with a PWM Controller.

The PWM controller can help regulate the speed of the fuel pump according to the engine's needs. For example, during idle, the fuel pump does not require full power, and running it at full power can lead to wastage of energy and unnecessary wear and tear on the motor. By using a PWM controller to regulate the speed of the fuel pump, you can ensure that it is running at the optimal speed to deliver the required amount of fuel to the engine. Controllers on the market today use a variety of inputs from TPS sensors, 0-5V sensors or ECU inputs to run the controller.

In addition to fuel efficiency, using a PWM controller to control the fuel pump can also help reduce noise and vibrations. As you may know, fuel pumps can be loud and disruptive to drivers and passengers, especially in older vehicles, but by regulating the speed of the fuel pump with a PWM controller, you can significantly reduce the noise levels produced by the fuel pump.
      Furthermore, using a PWM controller can help prolong the lifespan of the fuel pump. Starting the fuel pump with a standard on/off switch can cause a sudden surge of power that can cause excessive wear and tear on the motor's components. By using a PWM controller, the voltage is gradually ramped up, reducing stress on the fuel pump and extending its lifespan.

Finally, a PWM controller can also help improve safety by preventing the fuel pump from overheating. Fuel pumps generate heat, and if they are not properly regulated, this heat can lead to a safety hazard. By controlling the speed of the fuel pump with a PWM controller, you can ensure that it is not operating at full power for extended periods of time, which can reduce the heat generated and help prevent safety issues.

In conclusion, using a PWM controller to control an DC motor can provide significant benefits, including greater control over speed and torque, increase efficiencies in the motor, reduced noise and vibrations, prolonged lifespan of the motor, and improved safety. If you are looking to upgrade your vehicle's cooling or fuel system, consider adding a PWM controller to your vehicle to achieve these benefits!

If you want to check out our latest user configurable PWM controller you can find them here:https://creativewerksinc.com/product...m-controllers/

Country Flag: Canada
      Excellent write up , thanks for the info . I didn't know fully what pwm were, had an idea . In my mind its a slighty different version of a VFD (variable frequency drive )
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Thanks for the info. Might have to run one of these on my car with dual cooling fans. Thinking I’d have one come on at a certain temp then bring in the other when it gets a bit hotter
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Thanks for the write up, great explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      Thanks for the info. Might have to run one of these on my car with dual cooling fans. Thinking I’d have one come on at a certain temp then bring in the other when it gets a bit hotter
      Nice! what ours does is runs the initial fan primarily through pwm signal and kicks on the second fan when the first fan reaches 100% and the extra cooling is needed. Additionally they both can turn on 100% with A/C Override as well.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      When I was at Fiat Chrysler, we had a discussion about using pwm controllers to control HVAC blower motors. As I recall the discussion the decision to retain low current PWM to drive a high current steady voltage transfer function in a blower control module was was potential EMI issues with infotainment and other sensitive electronic systems.

So I guess a potential caveat would be to locate high current wiring a distance from sensitive electronics

But that was 10 years ago and I'm now a retired longhair greybeard
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

I use a DCC PW controller on my dual fans. It just controls both at the same time. It just spins the fans enough to maintain temps. It's not an on/off situation. Not sure I've ever heard my fans at full speed.
      Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Great description of pwm, thanks for sharing that info.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com